Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm fortunate enough to have been offered jobs at the school leaver programmes at both EY and PwC. However, at EY I'd be joining the audit team whereas at PwC I'd be part of tax. I've got to make a decision soon as to what company to join so could anyone help me as to what company is better to join? or what programme is better and looks more impressive? I know that at EY I'd immediately study for the CFAB whereas at PwC it'd be for the ATT; which one of these is recognised as being more distinguished? Does anyone know! Many thanks, Matt x

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't try to decide this based on the company, they're both very similar. The decision isn't EY or PWC, it's audit or tax.

Both are quite different and give comparatively different career paths. Where do you want to be in 5 years?

Also I presume the audit position leads to the ACA and not just AAT right?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it does. I don't see myself at these companies for a career, more as a sort of 2 year gap period before I go to uni to earn some money and get some valuable work experience. After uni I see myself going into corporate finance/trading/banking. Do you know if tax or audit would be better for that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CAFCmatt)
    Yeah it does. I don't see myself at these companies for a career, more as a sort of 2 year gap period before I go to uni to earn some money and get some valuable work experience. After uni I see myself going into corporate finance/trading/banking. Do you know if tax or audit would be better for that?
    2 years? At my firm the school leaver scheme is 5 years, and if you leave prematurely you repay all your tuition and exam fees. I suggest you look closely at what you're signing up to!

Those are three pretty broad areas. I think experience in a big 4 will be helpful either way, but if you want banking etc you should try and get internships in those areas prior to graduation as well.

ReputationRep:
    You're the second person i've seen on here intending to use the school leaver scheme as a gap year. This is not how it works. You're wasting your time as well as everyone else involved. If you want to do a gap year, apply for a proper gap year scheme or go travelling or something. Don't waste everyone's time and destroy a future relationship with said employer. If your intent is to go to university, then go to uni and apply for intern-ships as normal.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.