Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Security Council Elections Watch

• View Poll Results:
    0%

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Elections are now underway for the two non-permanent Security Council seats.
    Two states will hold the seats for a period of three months.

Check out the manifestos below and make good use of the 2 day Q&A session. We'll then have 5 days of voting.

Good luck!

Australia
    Australia

We, in Australia, firmly believe that the Security Council should have representatives from all parts of the globe.
    The continent of Oceania is sorely underrepresented, and, as a major power in both this region, as well as the rest of Asia Pacific, we firmly believe Australia is the best Nation to represent the 35,000,000 people living and working here.

With the growing tensions on the Korean peninsula, it is vital that the Security Council has a representative in the region with great economic influence, as well as military power. With one of the strongest blue water navies in the region, as well as our strong trading ties with Indonesia and South Korea, we believe we are best placed to perform this role.

We have been staunch allies of the United States and the United Kingdom in their fight against global terrorism, supplying both supplies and troops to assist NATO and UN task forces around the world. We will not hesitate to act to protect our dearest ideals of freedom and democracy.

Additionally, Australia has, for many years, been a strong critic of nuclear weaponry and arms proliferation. We will serve as a nuclear free voice on the council, to show how situations can be resolved without resorting to threats of global annihilation.

A vote for Australia is a vote for democracy, stability, and security.

ItalyItaly, being in the heart of Europe, is a country that is fully suited to be member of Security Council. It has rich history behind it and with that history it can give important say in the world events. It had, in its history, played a role of both "good guy" and "bad guy"; and although we are in a bit of the problem now, we feel that we can contribute to world debate and help solve important issues. Italy hopes, in the near future, to be front speaker of the new deal that would try to solve european financial issues, and this being our primary agenda, we hope we can be in the Security Council to advocate this matter. Also, if you elect us, we hope to provide possible deals with the middle and far east countries that are, today, sources of world unsteadiness. All of this is why we ask you to vote for us.

Switzerland
    The Swiss Confederation

United Nations Security Council Applicant 2013

Who are we?

The Swiss Confederation is a Western European country with approximately 7.8 million citizens. Although, the Confederation is a somewhat isolationist nation and the last to join the UN, we are members of both the UN and the prominent organisations within namely UNESCO and UNHRC

What can we offer?

Our Neutrality - The Swiss Confederation has remained neutral and has not been involved in any state of war since 1815.

Respect for Human Rights - Our international cooperation and place within the globalised world/market economy have aided this and our nation will of course promote, encourage and aid the progression of Human Rights in various nations. We will also offer humanitarian aid to many nations who are suffering due to the various associative factors.

What will we do?

As The Swiss Confederation is both a Human Rights conscious nation and an isolationist one we will always encourage greater global cooperation not just with Europe but with other significant organisations such as NATO whilst retaining our neutrality. We will also help those nations whose people are suffering, and we will always encourage and aid the augmentation of human rights as well as aiding education and AIDS awareness.

(Original post by Qwertish)
    Good luck!
    (Original post by terza021)
    Good luck!
    (Original post by PierceBrosnan)
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    The Security Council needs a new lease of life, anyone with new ideas or general activity should put their state forward.

ReputationRep:
    Glad we're bringing this back . You may see Switzerland in the running

ReputationRep:
    I dont suppose i can nominatemy second repped country can i ?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    I dont suppose i can nominatemy second repped country can i ?
    That's fine, as long as you have the time to dedicate to both positions.

ReputationRep:
    Good idea, looks like there'll be a few nominations, looking forward to reading the manifestos
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Nominations are still open if anyone is interested.

ReputationRep:
    Australia will be running

ReputationRep:
    To all candidates, what will you bring to the Security Council, having just been elected myself I can see the need for improvement in the SC, what will you do to try and bring about improvements?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superunknown17)
    To all candidates, what will you bring to the Security Council, having just been elected myself I can see the need for improvement in the SC, what will you do to try and bring about improvements?
    Australia will bring an Asia-Pacific perspective to the SC. As we said in our manifesto, there is basically no representation for this part of the world within the SC, and we believe that this is a gross oversight and extremely un-democratic. We understand the region very well, and are well placed to make strong recommendations over the situation in the Korean peninsula, and well as elsewhere in Asia-Pacific.

ReputationRep:
    No African States running, shame. I did mention the idea to the AU rep

The SC should be be more representative, not being heavily westernised.

If I had the vote then it would go to Australia

Question to all: How would make the organisation more representative?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgsie)

Ensure that there is at least one representative from each continent; i.e., one from N.A., one from S.A., one from Europe, one from Asia, one from Africa and one from Oceania.

The original purpose of the SC was to serve as a way to make all of the nuclear powers talk to each other. I think the world has, to a certain extent, moved beyond this. The nuclear powers should, I think, retain their permanent seats; but there should be a rotating seat for each continent as well (rotates between countries from the continent; maybe countries from the continent vote for their rep in the GA?).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qwertish)
    Ensure that there is at least one representative from each continent; i.e., one from N.A., one from S.A., one from Europe, one from Asia, one from Africa and one from Oceania.

The original purpose of the SC was to serve as a way to make all of the nuclear powers talk to each other. I think the world has, to a certain extent, moved beyond this. The nuclear powers should, I think, retain their permanent seats; but there should be a rotating seat for each continent as well (rotates between countries from the continent; maybe countries from the continent vote for their rep in the GA?).
    Thanks, similar to my views. The RL groups need to change and there will a lot states moving when you carry out this

I am prepared to work on this issue if people want me to due to getting a First on an essay on the topic of SC reform. This is a fundamental question about SC reform along with the question about the mechanics/operational/effectiveness side

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superunknown17)
    Seems as though Qwertish has got the ball rolling. However, the Swiss Confederation would like to see the Security Council as an entity that protects and extends human rights. By electing the Swiss Confederation, there will not only be a human rights centered influence in the Council. There will also be Wider European representation apart from the United Kingdom.

ReputationRep:

The Swiss Confederation like its Australian counterpart agrees with greater representation. We shall aim for a venture similar to that of Australia's. However, there is the continental-culture issue that needs to be addressed by the SC, therefore the Confederation proposes that, representation will be expanded by:

One Representative for the Americas (Central and Southern) -
    One - African
    One Middle Eastern
    One - Asian (Central Asia/Caucasus's)
    One European (Apart from the United Kingdom and the Swiss Confederation if elected.
    One Asia-Pacific (As echoed by Qwertish)

Now this may seem a bit "one too many" and complicated. However, the UN has seen itself through major Geo-political conflict and the only way for our modern and globalised world to see these conflicts through is to have greater representation from countries that do not have the international recognition that they deserve.

ReputationRep:
    What do all of the candidates feel they bring to the SC that is unique? And I know its already been answered in part, but how exactly would they attempt to reorganise the SC? E.g. would African representative be permanent or replaced by another african nation after a period of time etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moleman1996)
    What do all of the candidates feel they bring to the SC that is unique? And I know its already been answered in part, but how exactly would they attempt to reorganise the SC? E.g. would African representative be permanent or replaced by another african nation after a period of time etc
    Australia would be the only representative from Oceania and the west Pacific. Given that the United Nations hold democracy and freedom above all else, it is a gross oversight that there is no representation from this area.

In terms of reorganisation, I've already given some thought on the issue of SC country rep elections in the Charter Reform thread; but for the actual countries in the SC, this is how I'd organise it:

Six permanent members: USA, UK, France, China, Russia, India. These are relatively stable nuclear weapons countries, and I think it is in everyone's interests that they talk to each other.

Five non-permanent members (one each from): Middle East (i.e., Arab League); Africa (i.e., African Union); Asia (not including Russia); South & Central America; Oceania. The countries within those respective regions can vote for their representative every two years, say.

ReputationRep:
    To all candidates: how will you represent all the countries in your area, as there is undoubtedly a wide range of political views in each country, let alone across a group of countries?

ReputationRep:

Yes, you did but MUN is very different from the real-life UN and actual world issues it faces. The UN debates and acts, MUN only debates, so there's no need to copy everything from a UN perspective as it's not practical on TSR.

I think for the MUN like the MHoC, stimulating debates and active membership is more the priority which is a far different objective of the UN like fighting AIDS, distributing food, peace-keepers, etc.

So, there really is no need for permanent Security Council members, and elected members on TSR to be hell-bent on emulating every aspect of a model that clearly does not fit! That's why I didn't run.

My preference on the composition of the TSR's MUN Security Council is to have a seat allocated to each bloc/continent, and representatives of states in that continent need to contest regional elections to select a unified representative for a given term.

We all know that America is more powerful that Venezuela in real life. But not necessarily on TSR...no army, no money, no budget, no electorate, nothing to lose other than dedicated time on a PC.

So, please let's re-think the structure that works for us and facilitate debate rather than blindly copying an inspiring model that does not work for the TSR version.

...good luck to the candidates though!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks or the responses

Your right we need to come up with a model that is suitable for here. What do you think of term limits?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.