The Student Room Group

Security Council Elections

Scroll to see replies

Excellent candidates, found it hard to choose as I believe many have :tongue:

Good luck to all though :smile:
Reply 41
Another question, would you support an increase in Non-Permanent Members from 2 to 4 elected in 6 weeks time for 3 months?

RL SC:

Ten non-permanent members[4] are elected by the General Assembly for two-year terms starting on 1 January, with five replaced each year. The members are chosen by regional groups and confirmed by the United Nations General Assembly. To be approved, a candidate must receive at least 2/3 of all votes cast for that seat, which can result in deadlock if there are two roughly evenly matched candidates; in 1979, a standoff between Cuba and Colombia only ended after three months and 154 rounds of voting, when both withdrew in favor of Mexico as a compromise candidate.[5] A retiring member shall not be eligible for immediate re-election.[6]

Copied and Pasted from Wiki
The African bloc is represented by three members; the Latin America and the Caribbean, Asian, and Western European and Others blocs by two members each; and the Eastern European bloc by one member. Also, one of the members is an "Arab country," alternately from the Asian or African bloc.[7] Currently, elections for terms beginning in even-numbered years select two African members, and one each within Eastern Europe, Asia, and Latin America and the Caribbean. Additionally, the Arab state is represented in this group (Libya within Africa in 2008, Lebanon within Asia in 2010). Terms beginning in odd-numbered years consist of two Western European and Other members, and one within each of Latin America and the Caribbean, Asia, and Africa.

From Wikipedia
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Morgsie
Another question, would you support an increase in Non-Permanent Members from 2 to 4 elected in 6 weeks time for 3 months?

It's a nice idea in theory but I don't think we'd easily fill the places and going on another thread, there is a lack of enthusiasm to fill the Russia role.
Reply 43
Original post by TheMagicRat
It's a nice idea in theory but I don't think we'd easily fill the places and going on another thread, there is a lack of enthusiasm to fill the Russia role.

The problem is that MUN is trying too hard to be a carbon copy of the UN without acknowledging the fact that it is impossible to emulate the UN on TSR.

We should focus on debating and voting on international affairs, and adopt a practical, innovative and ambitious system that works for us rather than copying a format that suited the time the organisation was created before we were born, and most countries probably resent it for the weight and veto accorded to certain nations, super powers, and former colonial rulers!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Morgsie

RL SC:

From Wikipedia

The Swiss Confederation has considered this option and unfortunately as much as MUN tries, we cannot fully match the RL scenario, that isn't to say that in the future we can, it's just not practical at the moment. Plus as a majority student forum I feel we're more susceptible to voter fatigue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Everyone agrees that reforms should take place. I am coming up with ideas regarding the membership angle which is dealing with representativeness etc. I have deliberately done this because I don't want a row over voting procedures because the P5 will defend the veto.

It is quite distressing that people are reluctant to take action which may cause the demise of it.

I am advocating creating another 2 NP positions so that more people will have an opportunity to be on it rather than it being comprised of Western States to make it more representative. I don't see a problem with this so why are people opposing this?

IRL there are 15: 10 NP and the P5. I am advocating 10: the 6 already and 4 NP
(edited 11 years ago)
Congratulations to Australia for gaining the seat and also a well done to Italy as well. I'm surprised I came second tbh.
Reply 47
Australia thanks everyone for their votes. We hope we will be able to make a difference in the SC.
Reply 48
Original post by Qwertish
Australia thanks everyone for their votes. We hope we will be able to make a difference in the SC.

Congratulations to Qwertish & the country of Australia! Feel free to apply to the SC usergroup and I'll let you in :wink:

I'll let Birchington brief you about the Security Council etc...

Birchington
QFA

The above :biggrin:
Reply 49
Original post by RoryS
Congratulations to Qwertish & the country of Australia! Feel free to apply to the SC usergroup and I'll let you in :wink:

I'll let Birchington brief you about the Security Council etc...

The above :biggrin:

Reply 50

You should be in :wink:
Reply 51
Original post by PierceBrosnan
QFA

QFA

Congratulations! Australia and Switzerland are our non-permanent members for 3 months.

I'll add you both to the Security Council ASAP.
Reply 52
I can't even remember who I voted for....
Original post by Kiss
I can't even remember who I voted for....

RON?
Reply 54
Original post by TheMagicRat
RON?

Nah, RON never seems to make good arguments, I find his presentation a little repetitive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending