Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

So I'm stuck with a choice of which university I shall be attending in September for the Q300 English Literature course. While I should be grateful that I actually do have a choice, I still feel a fear that I will make the wrong choice so I was hoping that potentially some of you could help me with your much appreciated input.

I have two unconditional offers from Anglia Ruskin University and the University of Cumbria ( Also three others but they don't interest me as much) so I would want either of them to be firm choice and the other to be my insurance. I have yet to see the campuses on either university and I understand the reputation on these universities don't have much to be admired.

SKIP IF YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT MY SITUATION/HISTORY

I'll also explain a little about my situation. During my A levels, I took Law, Philosophy and English Language I was doing perfectly well with an AAA under my belt without much stress and worry while applying to study Law at some of the more acclaimed universities however unfortunately ( And for reasons yet discovered ) I was hit by an existential crisis about a month before my final exams.

Now, I'm quite an independent person and a quiet one at that naturally, so I just tried shrug it off and get on with my work however as time progressed it got worse and life just started to become grey for me. I wasn't happy nearly as much as I was, everything seemed relatively bleak ( Now that I look back on it, it could have been depression and I should have gone to the doctors while may have given me an exception in some universities I had applied for).

I ended up failing horribly at my last exams and came out with a CCD with no additional A level. My Sixth form didn't wish to take me back and nobody seemed to want to help me at the time.

So I decided to take a gap year to calm my head and regain some sort of purpose when I figured I'd do a course in humanities as well it suited my personality and interests more than Law did while retaining the ability to go back to Law through either a senior graduate scheme or a GDL and/or branch out into other careers.

So here I am with almost no self-esteem or worth and a crippling fear that I will fail again while being generally unsuccessful through out my life. This took me a lot of staying power to write out and not deleting it which I have done several times already over the past week before having the guts to post it.

READ FROM HERE IF YOU SKIPPED.

So a little information about these universities.

- Anglia Ruskin is the older university/Has more notable reputation
    - University of Cumbria is higher ranked across the league tables.
    - Anglia Ruskin has the more interesting course content although has been noted to skip out on some of their modules.
    - University of Cumbria has a similar enough course.
    - Anglia Ruskin has a better honours rate within English Literature
    - If I were to go to Anglia Ruskin, I would also consider switching to their joint honors in English Literature and Philosophy.
    - UoC is further away from home ( which is a plus in my situation )
    - Both of them have relatively bad reputations or so I've been researched and are sinking in the league tables.
    - UoC has the better graduate prospect ratio.

So what do you think? Please give as much information and sourced facts as possible. Opinions are also welcome.

Thank you sincerely for reading!

ReputationRep:
    I appear to have put this in the wrong place and I am terribly sorry about that! Does anyone know what section this should appropriately go into and how am I able to shift it there or is it a whole delete and repeat thing?

ReputationRep:
    You could always resit your A-Levels?
    My friend achieved BCC in his A-Levels because of no work and was capable of Oxbridge level. He decided to resit them in his gap year and worked reasonably hard for them. He achieved A*A*A and is now at Newcastle university loving every minute of it!

ReputationRep:
    It is probably best to go and look around the unis themselves to get a better idea. It is important to go somewhere that you like and will enjoy yourself. You have to take things into account like do you like the area and the uni. As long as you go somewhere you are happy then you will probably do better than somewhere which you hate.

ReputationRep:
    I wished to re-take my A levels but previous college won't let me retake and by the time they informed me of this fact, it was too late for any other college to take me in. Also I don't have very understanding parents that would let me take another year at home to do my A levels again.

I plan to go visit them on their open days to get a grasp of them also, I just wanted maybe some insider information about them.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.