Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Really resent the affect appearance has on my life Watch

As I am now 26 I kind of feel old I have wasted about seven years of my life since I got thrown out of Auni at nineteen. I kind of get really depressed about the affect appearance has on my life. When I was at sixth form and uni I got made fun of because of the way I look . I look like a typical geek in that I wear glasses. I am not hideous and girls do fancy me but I look boring have beady eyes and am just a typical relatively ugly geek. Even though I ignore it I am really tired of people making fun and insulting me. It happens in almost every job or situation I am in and is almost always uncalled for and unprovoked. When I was at school there was a bet to kiss me on my sixth form ball and also got constantly made fun of. If I am not being made fun of I am always anticipating it or thinking that people deep down think I am 'weird' or a 'freak' I have no motivation and spend time sleeping and going on th Internet. I have no friends or job and now no degree. I attribute a lot of this to appearance. When I was 21 it wasn't such a bg deal but now I am 26 I feel like I have missed out on so much.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm would help if you post a pic! But you say girls fancy you so maybe you need to change your fashion style and try something else

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You should just stand up for yourself more; if people are bullying you, show them that they won't get away with it. It will put people off making fun of you and will make you seem more confident, which will attract more girls.
    Don't be so upset OP, you're still young and have your whole life ahead of you.

ReputationRep:
    Not everyone is a shallow idiot (although there are a lot of them). Try going to new places like social clubs to meet new people, get some hobbies, and perhaps it'll happen. You can't make women want you, but you can make a good go at attracting them, and if you're not all that in the looks department (personally I don't mind geeky guys but it seems you blame your looks for your problems) then work on improving your other characteristics like sense of humour, social interactions, making friends etc. Smile A LOT. People smile back, 9 times out of 10, and it can really help improve your mood, even if you don't feel like smiling.

For me, love came along when I stopped looking for it - when I was desperate for a boyfriend, it was like all the men knew and avoided me with a barge pole! You can shape yourself to be the person you want to be, within reason. Self help and self improvement books and webpages can be helpful for me if I'm stuck in a rut.

Also, I would really recommend getting out, exercising, meet new people, get a hobby, just get variety in your life. Sitting in front of your computer all day when you're depressed will only serve to make you more depressed, fresh air and a nice walk in the park can clear your head and remind you of all the reasons the world is a beautiful place

ReputationRep:
    Honestly speaking, you sound very down and also insecure.

Counselling might be good for you. It could help you think more positively and progressively.

You're young, you have your best years ahead of you.

Don't be 30 and then wish you could be 26 again. Make a choice now, today.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.