Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So... cut a long story short. I was at Abertay for half a year before leaving for various reasons including the course not being right for me.

However, more to the point, prior to arriving there, I had been hyped up about joining the basketball club for a good year or two, as I'd shyed away from joining my school's club, so sufficed with playing it in PE.

So you can imagine my disappointment when come fresher's fayre, I went to sign up, but found out they only had a 1st team and no club for inexperienced students.

So... this time around, I want to know what opportunities are available to me. So in University of Edinburgh, is the basketball club open to beginners and skilled players alike? Or do they just have training for the teams? If it's the latter, on the off-chance, does anyone know of any other places in Edinburgh where an individual like myself with less experience/ability can play/train? (Also being over the age of 18!)

I also want to do it for my Duke of Edinburgh Award which I'm supposed to be starting now, however, I don't know of any clubs or what not for over 18s which are geared towards or even open to inexperienced players.

ReputationRep:
    The official Basketball Team of Edinburgh University is exclusive but you can try for the intermural basketball team and play. I did that once and it was pretty fun and they accept any level of experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    The official Basketball Team of Edinburgh University is exclusive but you can try for the intermural basketball team and play. I did that once and it was pretty fun and they accept any level of experience.
    Thanks! I take it there's no coaching or anything then?

I guess as long as I can do it at all then that's the main thing. How come you didn't go back?

PS It won't let me rep you. Apparently I need to rep some others first. x]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrisruptor)
    Thanks! I take it there's no coaching or anything then?

I guess as long as I can do it at all then that's the main thing. How come you didn't go back?

PS It won't let me rep you. Apparently I need to rep some others first. x]
    No but they do have weekly training sessions so you'd have to keep up with them if you want to be a regular.

I didn't go back because I'm lazy haha. But I'm assuming you're not so there's no reason not to try it out.

No problem thanks anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    No but they do have weekly training sessions so you'd have to keep up with them if you want to be a regular.

I didn't go back because I'm lazy haha. But I'm assuming you're not so there's no reason not to try it out.

No problem thanks anyway
    Well that's great then Maybe I'll make the team by the time I'm doing my PhD.... hmm... xD

Anyway, thanks again. That's what I wanted to hear!

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.