Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hoping this is the correct thread.

Basically, I am trying to work out the standard deviation of rain fall across 12 months (for about 6 decades).

For example, for the year 1945 I have this (in mm):

So I thought the standard deviation is just how much the rainfall deviates from the mean value, or from half of the max value. So here, for example, max. rainfall occurs in June at 94.4mm, and the minimum rainfall in another month is 0mm. So isn't the standard deviation just (94.4/2) = + or - 47.2mm a month? Actually that doesn't make sense...you can't get negative rainfall o.o

But could someone explain the purpose of and calculations for standard deviation please?

Thank you, much appreciated
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by PhysicsGal)
    Hoping this is the correct thread.

Basically, I am trying to work out the standard deviation of rain fall across 12 months (for about 6 decades).

But could someone explain the purpose of and calculations for standard deviation please?

Thank you, much appreciated
    Standard deviation is slightly more complicated than what you've tried.

Basically, it tries to work out an average spread for the data away from the mean.

The way the calculation works is as follows:
    first work out the mean
    next work out the difference between each observation and the mean (this can be +ve or -ve)
    square each number from the previous step to ensure you get a positive number
    add up all these squared numbers and divide by the number of observations
    take the square root to get the standard deviation

The good news is that Excel has functions to calculate this automatically for you (although it is worth doing the calculation for a small dataset so you get used to what's happening).

Check out the STDEVP (or STDEV.P in Excel 2010) functions.

Post back if this doesn't make sense

ReputationRep:
    It's a measure of the spread of the data and how far some figures are from the mean.
    You might not do this but you can use it to work out which figures are outliers

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.