Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm considering this:

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/xps-13-l321...s-13-l321x-mlk

Or this:

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-14...piron-14z-5423

Is the XPS really worth that much more compared to the Inspiron z?

Ideally I want: something light and easily portable with good battery life, good RAM and a good processor. Graphics I don't care about so the fancy screen isn't of concern, nor is sound an issue. I'm going to use it solely for work - writing reports/creating PDFs, and at most using programs like Matlab or Stata/Eviews to analyse large datasets. The biggest thing is it must be durable (I don't want to buy another one for five years) and portable.

My concern is that the Inspiron won't be as reliable or tough during compared to the XPS. Mainly due to the fact it's an Inspiron, plus it has a CD drive.

I don't need a CD drive, to be honest. USB and Wifi is a must, but both have that.

Is the XPS worth the extra money? Given the specs of the Inspiron are slightly better? (Better processor.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    I'm considering this:

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/xps-13-l321...s-13-l321x-mlk

Or this:

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-14...piron-14z-5423

Is the XPS really worth that much more compared to the Inspiron z?

Ideally I want: something light and easily portable with good battery life, good RAM and a good processor. Graphics I don't care about so the fancy screen isn't of concern, nor is sound an issue. I'm going to use it solely for work - writing reports/creating PDFs, and at most using programs like Matlab or Stata/Eviews to analyse large datasets. The biggest thing is it must be durable (I don't want to buy another one for five years) and portable.

My concern is that the Inspiron won't be as reliable or tough during compared to the XPS. Mainly due to the fact it's an Inspiron, plus it has a CD drive.

I don't need a CD drive, to be honest. USB and Wifi is a must, but both have that.

Is the XPS worth the extra money? Given the specs of the Inspiron are slightly better? (Better processor.)
    Well in terms of specs of course the inspiron is much better, dedicated gpu, double the ssd storage.........however as you stated, reliability is an issue with Dell in their non-business range, and even worse as inspiron is from the budget range.

Its totally up to you...............maybe have a look at other makers.....also if your a student check for a discount
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Well in terms of specs of course the inspiron is much better, dedicated gpu, double the ssd storage.........however as you stated, reliability is an issue with Dell in their non-business range, and even worse as inspiron is from the budget range.

Its totally up to you...............maybe have a look at other makers.....also if your a student check for a discount
    Who would you recommend? I only considered Dell really since my last desktop was with them and lasted five years (to be fair, it was also an Inspiron). What reliable makes are there?

Also discounts are always good! I don't think Dell offers any though. Do any major suppliers? I know Apple do but I don't want to get an Apple (software issues).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    Who would you recommend? I only considered Dell really since my last desktop was with them and lasted five years (to be fair, it was also an Inspiron). What reliable makes are there?

Also discounts are always good! I don't think Dell offers any though. Do any major suppliers? I know Apple do but I don't want to get an Apple (software issues).
    Back then they were good, recently though general view is that there business is good at the moment.

I was thinking maybe look at Lenovo, though they could be a bit expensive.

found this coupon.... £60 off any Inspiron 15z Ultrabook over £549

Offer ends 10 April

Coupon code valid online only
    USE THIS CODE AT THE CHECKOUT: D$V8X7?5J3JTDW
    Coupon codes not available for redemption on Dell Outlet systems.
    £60 off any Inspiron 15z Ultrabook over £549

Offer ends 10 April

USE THIS CODE AT THE CHECKOUT: D$V8X7?5J3JTDW

Some places offer student discounts, I know sony do as well
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Back then they were good, recently though general view is that there business is good at the moment.

I was thinking maybe look at Lenovo, though they could be a bit expensive.

found this coupon.... £60 off any Inspiron 15z Ultrabook over £549

Offer ends 10 April

USE THIS CODE AT THE CHECKOUT$V8X7?5J3JTDW
    £60 off any Inspiron 15z Ultrabook over £549

Offer ends 10 April

USE THIS CODE AT THE CHECKOUT$V8X7?5J3JTDW

Some places offer student discounts, I know sony do as well
    Are Lenovo and Sony better quality than the Dell XPS 13 UltraBook? Price wise, I am willing to go up to £1000. It's got to last me ~5 years, so I don't mind spending now for a more durable system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    Are Lenovo and Sony better quality than the Dell XPS 13 UltraBook? Price wise, I am willing to go up to £1000. It's got to last me ~5 years, so I don't mind spending now for a more durable system.
    Thats a hard one, the XPS range is really good in terms of quality
    Its honestly a hard one........also a laptop really won't last that long, laptop tech changes so frequently, one of the main issues is the battery.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thats a hard one, the XPS range is really good in terms of quality
    Its honestly a hard one........also a laptop really won't last that long, laptop tech changes so frequently, one of the main issues is the battery.
    So you don't think it'll last five years?

Sure I know the hardware will be outdated within a month and the OS will be outdated within a year, if that, but the software I'll use is pretty stagnant really (Stata, Matlab, Latex) and so I just need the hardware to last ~5 years so I can do emails, create PDF documents, analyse data, etc.

As I say, I don't care about having the latest tech or anything like that. Heck, everything I need to do I can still use my old Dell Inspiron tower which doesn't even have an iCore processor. I got it ~6 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    So you don't think it'll last five years?

Sure I know the hardware will be outdated within a month and the OS will be outdated within a year, if that, but the software I'll use is pretty stagnant really (Stata, Matlab, Latex) and so I just need the hardware to last ~5 years so I can do emails, create PDF documents, analyse data, etc.

As I say, I don't care about having the latest tech or anything like that. Heck, everything I need to do I can still use my old Dell Inspiron tower which doesn't even have an iCore processor. I got it ~6 years ago.
    Well on a laptop its complicated........it gets moved around alot, possibility of damage....batteries haven't changed much, they can die depending on use, even the power adaptors and are expensive to replace if you want a original version. But its certainly possible to make it last that long if you look after it well.

There are usually other things which you must do to ensure it survives, such as yearly checks or every 6 months of the vents and heatsinks to clear out dust.........also making sure to keep results of temp........couple of years down the line you may need to change to the thermal paste if temps get too high and there is no dust blocking the vents, fans, etc.

Generally I would say XPS range is very good, it is the business range...........the other good business range laptops is Lenovos thinkpads which are incredibly sturdy and reliable, but can be a bit heavier then competitors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    Is there something for which you really need to use Windows? I'm not an Apple salesman, but their laptops seem to be the best in terms of lasting a while, battery life and good build quality etc. Also you can run Windows along with OS X on a Mac if you wish to do so.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.