Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm really stuck with this question:

A sledge is held at rest on a smooth slope which makes an angle of 25 with the horizontal. The rope holding the sledge is at an angle of 20 above the slope. The normal reaction acting on the sledge due to contact with the surface is 80N

Find the tension in the rope and the weight of the sledge.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by SebastianTindall)
    I'm really stuck with this question:

A sledge is held at rest on a smooth slope which makes an angle of 25 with the horizontal. The rope holding the sledge is at an angle of 20 above the slope. The normal reaction acting on the sledge due to contact with the surface is 80N

Find the tension in the rope and the weight of the sledge.
    How about a diagram? Mark on the forces and angles.

ReputationRep:
    1. Draw a diagram labelled with the forces and angles.
    2. Resolve forces parallel to the slope.
    3. Resolve forces perpendicular to the slope.
    4. Solve simultaneous equations. You have two equations and two unknowns.

Advice
    Use substitution rather than trying to add the equations.
    Just write W for weight instead of mg, it looks neater and you are asked to find weight anyway.
    You will get terms involving sin(20), cos(20), sin(25) and cos(25). Don't use your calculator to evaluate them until you have rearranged sufficiently to isolate T/W.

ReputationRep:
    I have drawn a diagram and resolved perpendicularly and parallel, however the two equations i have got both have variables in them and i can't seem to find a way to fix it :s

ReputationRep:
    I have drawn a diagram and resolved perpendicularly and parallel, however the two equations i have got both have variables in them and i can't seem to find a way to fix it :s
    Then as Brister says, solve the equations simultaneously.
    Unless, of course, there are 3 variables and 2 equations in which case check your equations for a mistake

ReputationRep:
    The two equations i have got are Tcos20 = wsin25 and 80N + Tsin20 - wcos25=0 ?

ReputationRep:
    When you resolve parallel to the slope, you should be able to write T in terms of W, or W in terms of T.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, so from the first equation you can, for example, go with T = \frac{Wsin(25)}{cos(20)} and substitute into the second equation.

ReputationRep:
    "Yeah, so from the first equation you can, for example, go with and substitute into the second equation."

Yes i have done this but the result is very awkward :/

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who reads this it turns out the solution is found using triangle of forces :/

ReputationRep:
    T = \frac{Wsin(25)}{cos(20)}

Then 80 + Wsin(25)tan(20) - Wcos(25) = 0

So W = \frac{80}{cos(25) - sin(25)tan(20)}

Finally T = \frac{80sin(25)}{cos(20) \times (cos(25) - sin(25)tan(20))}

You get the values using a calculator, so it is not that awkward.

The triangle of forces or equally Lami's theorem will of course give the same result, and yes you will avoid having as many sines and cosines. However, the angles for the triangle can be a bit fiddly and it is easy to get it wrong. It really depends on your preference.

Just out of interest, if you multiply the equation for W on top and bottom by cos(20) then you get

W = \frac{80cos(20)}{cos(25)cos(20) - sin(25)sin(20)} = \frac{80cos(20)}{cos(45)} = \frac{80sin(70)}{sin(45)} = \frac{80sin(70)}{sin(135)}

which is what you get from using the sine rule with the triangle of forces or Lami's theorem.

Similarly
     T = \frac{80sin(25)}{cos(25)cos(20) - sin(25)sin(20)} = \frac{80sin(155)}{sin(135)}

Now isn't that neat?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 5, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.