Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What A Levels are best to take to study dentistry at Manchester University?
    I was thinning
    -maths
    -chemistry
    -biology
    -food technology
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    The first 3 are fine, but food technology wouldn't be the best option. You should do a contrasting subject to make you look 'well-rounded' for example, a foreign language or an arts or humanity subject (e.g. History, English Literature, Philosophy, etc).

But it's up to you, your first 3 are excellent choices for dentistry. Make sure you get relative work experience as well (I don't do dentistry, so I'm not entirely sure).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fool In The Rain)
    The first 3 are fine, but food technology wouldn't be the best option. You should do a contrasting subject to make you look 'well-rounded' for example, a foreign language or an arts or humanity subject (e.g. History, English Literature, Philosophy, etc).

But it's up to you, your first 3 are excellent choices for dentistry. Make sure you get relative work experience as well (I don't do dentistry, so I'm not entirely sure).
    I've got my work experience and enrichment sorted! Would you suggest economics instead of food tech then? They are the only two I can take in the option columns I have got

ReputationRep:
    Don't take food tech!!!! I take it now and I hate it I enjoyed it at GCSE but its just not fun at A level!
    Did you do food tech GCSE?
    (Original post by Claudia Ellis)
    What A Levels are best to take to study dentistry at Manchester University?
    I was thinning
    -maths
    -chemistry
    -biology
    -food technology
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I take gcse food tech! What is wrong with a level food tech?

ReputationRep:
    I've got my work experience and enrichment sorted! Would you suggest economics instead of food tech then? They are the only two I can take in the option columns I have got
    Yes economics could be a good idea It's a "hard" subject and slightly contrasting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinkerbell_xxx)
    Don't take food tech!!!! I take it now and I hate it I enjoyed it at GCSE but its just not fun at A level!
    Did you do food tech GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilixxx1000)
    Yes economics could be a good idea It's a "hard" subject and slightly contrasting.
    The only thing that puts me off economics is the fact there is a a lot of essay writing and I am stronger at maths and science as opposed to English! Will this put me at a disadvantage?

ReputationRep:
    The only thing that puts me off economics is the fact there is a a lot of essay writing and I am stronger at maths and science as opposed to English! Will this put me at a disadvantage?
    I think economics contains a fair bit of maths but I'm not certain. Are economics and food tech really the only two things available?

ReputationRep:
    the spec content isn't very interesting
    For edexcel
    year 12- industrial processes (cleaning/harvesting etc), nutrients (fats/carbs/protein) and manufacturing processes (as well as other things)

year 13- much more food science(milk production/cheese production/fruit ripening) and things like product development and what affects it etc.

in both years you get some coursework (the worst part). Its the only part where you do need to cook, but what you do cook has to be very highly skilled and very technical.
    The written side is very long and frustrating as there is so much of it. May just be my teachers adding to it by telling us to copy last years coursework format.

If you wanna know more message me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilixxx1000)
    I think economics contains a fair bit of maths but I'm not certain. Are economics and food tech really the only two things available?
    I looked at a paper and it was just 10 marks essays and that. Yeah, with the gcses I am getting, I could do psychology but that is a definite no as it is only accepted as a C at the university I would like to go to

ReputationRep:
    the spec content isn't very interesting
    For edexcel
    year 12- industrial processes (cleaning/harvesting etc), nutrients (fats/carbs/protein) and manufacturing processes (as well as other things)

year 13- much more food science(milk production/cheese production/fruit ripening) and things like product development and what affects it etc.

in both years you get some coursework (the worst part). Its the only part where you do need to cook, but what you do cook has to be very highly skilled and very technical.
    The written side is very long and frustrating as there is so much of it. May just be my teachers adding to it by telling us to copy last years coursework format.

If you wanna know more message me
    Oh yeah, I really enjoyed gcse food tech, probably my favourite option! I am really undecided on what to take for a level! I put food tech down because it was the one that fitted in with my other choices and sounded the most interesting! Maybe I will have a chat with my subject teachers and see what they think is best and what I am capable of.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, I really enjoyed gcse food tech, probably my favourite option! I am really undecided on what to take for a level! I put food tech down because it was the one that fitted in with my other choices and sounded the most interesting! Maybe I will have a chat with my subject teachers and see what they think is best and what I am capable of.

Thank you
    I did too, just felt like A level was different to what the teachers told us :/ They said we would cook twice a week and cook most weeks. We barely cooked and only cooked for coursework.

From your other options I think you would be fine with the food science side of it But I think it could be more enjoyable with better teachers haha

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I would suggest economics, since it's a somewhat contrasting subject (a bit of maths, a bit of essay writing). But, again, it's all up to you, do what you enjoy, but is also beneficial to your choices, so if you enjoy economics, then go for it, if not, you still have 3 excellent subjects that are perfect for dentistry alongside food tech . You can always drop food tech at A2 if you want though.

ReputationRep:
    I did too, just felt like A level was different to what the teachers told us :/ They said we would cook twice a week and cook most weeks. We barely cooked and only cooked for coursework.

From your other options I think you would be fine with the food science side of it But I think it could be more enjoyable with better teachers haha
    Thank you that is really helpful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fool In The Rain)
    Yes, I would suggest economics, since it's a somewhat contrasting subject (a bit of maths, a bit of essay writing). But, again, it's all up to you, do what you enjoy, but is also beneficial to your choices, so if you enjoy economics, then go for it, if not, you still have 3 excellent subjects that are perfect for dentistry alongside food tech . You can always drop food tech at A2 if you want though.
    Yeah, still not completely decided I spoke to the person giving me enrichment before and she said that food shows contrasting skills and would be beneficial! I don't know what to do

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.