Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  rosa getting arrested pic.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  27.4 KB

Could anyone help me analyse this picture of Rosa Parks in terms of reliability, format, content?

Any help would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    It's hard for me to answer that not knowing where this picture was taken, what year/date, where it was published etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Faust)
    It's hard for me to answer that not knowing where this picture was taken, what year/date, where it was published etc.
    sorry, below is the illustration with the photo.

In 1956, Rosa Park's arrest and the bus boycott that followed was big news - Associated Press Photo. "Woman Fingerprinted. Mrs Rosa Parks, Negro Seamstress, Whose refusal to Move to the Back of a Bus Touched Off the Bus Boycott in Montgomery, Alabama." 1956. New York - Telegram & Sun Collection, Prints and Photographs Division, Library of Congress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tasha_a)
    sorry, below is the illustration with the photo.

In 1956, Rosa Park's arrest and the bus boycott that followed was big news - Associated Press Photo. "Woman Fingerprinted. Mrs Rosa Parks, Negro Seamstress, Whose refusal to Move to the Back of a Bus Touched Off the Bus Boycott in Montgomery, Alabama." 1956. New York - Telegram & Sun Collection, Prints and Photographs Division, Library of Congress.
    Hmm, I only do Civil Rights in non-Source format. My sources exam is on the Crimea, Boer and WWI. I suppose Parks is compliant and calm in the picture, retaining strength. I can only guess here, but I suppose you would bring in own knowledge with the 11-month bus boycott and the Supreme Court rulings sparked by this massive publicity. Reliability... it is a photograph, and it's doubtful that it was staged due to the nature of Rosa Parks and what she stood for etc. But it is also to promote widespread readership and sensationalisation of the event (which links to the format of it being in a large-scale newspaper), so perhaps it is chosen to do that. The words of "Negro Seamstress" puts her in the light of an underclass black woman, which would add to the vulnerability or the defiance against odds in her depending on your argument.

That's all I can think of, we don't get photographs or picture sources in our Sources exam so it's hard for me.

ReputationRep:
    thank you for your help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.