Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In my GCSE French writing and speaking CA's I didn't do too well I got 16/30 and 20/30 on my first 2 writings (which according to my teacher are the grade equivalents to a D and a C respectively) and 23/30 on my first speaking exam which is apparently equivalent to a B My friends who take French all agree that my somewhat eccentric teacher marks considerably low and we are doing 3 writing assessments which means that hopefully I can get a higher mark on my writing grade overall by knocking the D grade out. However, bearing all this in mind, I am still quite worried- I find French is my hardest subject because of the low grades I seem to be accumulating in these CA's, which is completely bizarre compared to other subjects such as English and Science where I have been getting A's/A*'s on Mock exams and Past Papers. I am aiming for at least A's across the board in terms of my GCSE's, but in French I am worried that I may not even reach a B overall! My teacher didn't give me a target and said I just need to continue as I am doing, but its not good enough. I revise, I learn vocab, I use flashcards to learn tenses, I listen in class, I use structures! What am I doing wrong? Someone please help? What grades do I now need to get in order to get an average overall grade of B for Writing and Speaking? Is it impossible to reach that now that I have got a definite C for one of my writing sections? Thank-you!

ReputationRep:
    Help please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarah Bradley)
    In my GCSE French writing and speaking CA's I didn't do too well I got 16/30 and 20/30 on my first 2 writings (which according to my teacher are the grade equivalents to a D and a C respectively) and 23/30 on my first speaking exam which is apparently equivalent to a B My friends who take French all agree that my somewhat eccentric teacher marks considerably low and we are doing 3 writing assessments which means that hopefully I can get a higher mark on my writing grade overall by knocking the D grade out. However, bearing all this in mind, I am still quite worried- I find French is my hardest subject because of the low grades I seem to be accumulating in these CA's, which is completely bizarre compared to other subjects such as English and Science where I have been getting A's/A*'s on Mock exams and Past Papers. I am aiming for at least A's across the board in terms of my GCSE's, but in French I am worried that I may not even reach a B overall! My teacher didn't give me a target and said I just need to continue as I am doing, but its not good enough. I revise, I learn vocab, I use flashcards to learn tenses, I listen in class, I use structures! What am I doing wrong? Someone please help? What grades do I now need to get in order to get an average overall grade of B for Writing and Speaking? Is it impossible to reach that now that I have got a definite C for one of my writing sections? Thank-you!
    It's not impossible trust me, you only need to submit 2 pieces of writing and 2 pieces of speaking. So try your hardest in upcoming controlled assessments. For writing and speaking I wrote out completely what I'm gonna do and get my teacher to mark it for any corrections and keep rewriting it till there's no errors then I just memorise it. I went from C/D to all A*'s in my controlled assessments Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stephbo)
    It's not impossible trust me, you only need to submit 2 pieces of writing and 2 pieces of speaking. So try your hardest in upcoming controlled assessments. For writing and speaking I wrote out completely what I'm gonna do and get my teacher to mark it for any corrections and keep rewriting it till there's no errors then I just memorise it. I went from C/D to all A*'s in my controlled assessments Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you! I will try and bear that in mind, I definitely need to work on memorising

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarah Bradley)
    Thank you! I will try and bear that in mind, I definitely need to work on memorising
    I had trouble memorising it but I didn't try to memorise everything in one go I memorised bit by bit paragraph by paragraph and for speaking I recorded myself speaking and when I was memorising I read and listened to myself at the same time

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you do lots of past papers for the reading and listening exams. I didn't do well at all in my speaking and writing for my Spanish GCSE (same layout as yours) but I managed to get full marks for my reading and listening and so overall I got an A grade. This was just from doing a past paper everyday leading up to the exams! So try to work towards that.

I actually live in France now and I am pretty much fluent in french, so if you want any help with anything let me know

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.