Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well today I was diagnosed with this after years of suffering with the cold.

The thing is, my doctor said there's no medication he's willing to put on me, as I'm only 18 and his advice was 'Keep Warm'

Well I would if my body would allow me! :mad:

Does anyone else suffer with this, and are you on medication?

Edit: negged for being ill, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shorty94)

The thing is, my doctor said there's no medication he's willing to put on me, as I'm only 18 and his advice was 'Keep Warm'

I have this and they wouldn't put me on medication either (I'm 17) but I didn't want drugs anyway. I have a mini hot water bottle for my hands which fit in my coat pocket, but even then, my fingers are numb and go white. Sometimes they look dead! I want to the central heating on all the time but obviously, I can't do that so lots of clothes it is! Sorry I don't have much advice - I'm looking for some myself!

ReputationRep:
    I have it, though thankfully only mild- if you Google image it some of the extreme photos are shocking! But it can be a pain. I have to wear gloves a lot even in the summer, and people think I'm strange!

ReputationRep:

I have this and I'm pretty sure I've had it all my life but I was only diagnosed at about 13.
    I'm on medication called Hypovase which dilates the blood vessels. It makes some difference to me, mainly in making my hands less stiff, but its no cure. I used to be on Nifedipine but it made me sick and dizzy so I had to stop taking it.
    If you have any questions I'll answer the best I can

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nrp_95)
    I have this and I'm pretty sure I've had it all my life but I was only diagnosed at about 13.
    I'm on medication called Hypovase which dilates the blood vessels. It makes some difference to me, mainly in making my hands less stiff, but its no cure. I used to be on Nifedipine but it made me sick and dizzy so I had to stop taking it.
    If you have any questions I'll answer the best I can

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How old are you now may I ask?

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same. My knee's and feet ache SO bad in the cold to the point were I end up in tears, yet somehow I'm expected to just "keep warm" which doesn't happen!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    My mum has this. Her hands always look terrifying The GP told her the same thing as you... No medication, just keep warm. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    How old are you now may I ask?
    I'll be 18 on Tuesday

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's the most infuriating thing being told there's nothing they can do about it, especially as I was an air cadet, meaning I'd be out in the cold on open airfields doing exercises in the middle of the night, resulting in a complete lack of movement and me being in tears.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it can make things so difficult. Even with my medication my hands often freeze up and become useless, which makes playing the piano very hard.
    People don't take it seriously either, my PE teachers used to refuse to let me wear gloves until they realised I couldn't catch and I didn't feel it when I cut my hand open.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have it too - I pretty much just wear gloves ALL the time, although long sleeves are also quite good as you can pull them over your hands

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'll join the group as well then.

The doctor told me i have this a week ago and said its common so just wear gloves and keep warm.

But it's seriously annoying to live with this. It's more annoying for me because i get warm quickly and having cold hands and feet... uuufffff!!!!

ReputationRep:
    This is going to seem like im joking, but you should go on embarrassing bodies. Im sure they could find something out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WJB440)
    This is going to seem like im joking, but you should go on embarrassing bodies. Im sure they could find something out!
    Reynauds Syndrome is hardly rare and unusual, it's just difficult to medicate.

ReputationRep:
    I have it too and it's so annoying. I've read that smoking and drinking coffee make it worse so I have tried reducing my coffee intake but I can't really tell the difference. Other than that, I just wear layers of clothes and protest loudly when someone asks to open the windows in class.

ReputationRep:
    Reynauds Syndrome is hardly rare and unusual, it's just difficult to medicate.
    Ahh ok, I had a look at some pictures and it seems bad actually, I had never heard of it before this thread so you all must be doing well to hide it which can be difficult for a long term medical problem!

ReputationRep:
    Ahh ok, I had a look at some pictures and it seems bad actually, I had never heard of it before this thread so you all must be doing well to hide it which can be difficult for a long term medical problem!
    There is no need to hide it, Is there? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Give it some time. Medication is an extreme thing for desperate cases. There isn't a pill for everything, you know.

Reynaud's mostly affects younger people and then they 'grow out' if it.

I had it from about 17-22 years old, white dead fingers, zero circulation for half an hour or more each time. Now I'm 24 and it never really happens any more.

Aside from the fact that the issue does just fade away, I'd say the only physical change I've made is a major reduction in alcohol consumption. Dunno if that's relates though. It really should just cure itself.

Just wait!:yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have no intention of hiding it, I merely said it's common. Hiding it would insinuate I'm embarrassed about it which I'm not. It's just annoying.

ReputationRep:
    I have this too, causes some funny looks when my lips are blue!
    Does anyone ever notice it happening down one side of the body more? My left hand always turns white a lot faster.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 4, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.