The Student Room Group

Sheffield Hallam vs Derby University (Chesterifeld site)

Hey guys, been offered both unconditional offers for both Universities. But so undecided at which one to firm! ahhhh so confusing. Need so advice from other students on the lectures, quality of teaching, placements, assessment types. etc. I live in Chesterfield. So also if I went to Sheffield Hallam any advice on travel train, car? (as I would commute) please HELP! thanks in advance :smile::smile:
Reply 1
Original post by njhutchinson1993
Hey guys, been offered both unconditional offers for both Universities. But so undecided at which one to firm! ahhhh so confusing. Need so advice from other students on the lectures, quality of teaching, placements, assessment types. etc. I live in Chesterfield. So also if I went to Sheffield Hallam any advice on travel train, car? (as I would commute) please HELP! thanks in advance :smile::smile:

There's extremely limited parking around the SHU campus so you'd be better off on the train, I think.

I also applied to both these unis and Hallam was very impressive! It's a huge intake though so you also need to consider whether you would strongly prefer to be in a smaller group, which Derby offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I was going to catch the train anyway, ive heard parking is a nightmare. I have been in a small group before as I am studying FdsC Health Related Exercise and Fitness at Chesterfield College but through Staffordshire University, and if Derby is anything what that I would hate it! lecturers just don't seem to try as hard in a small group than a huge group. And to say my group at the moment has only 20 people in it, most of us don't even talk to each other and split into separate groups anyway.. I suppose the only thing persuading me to go to Derby (Chesterfield) is the distance from my home (10 mins) but I want a good learning experience!
Reply 3
I think I was going to catch the train anyway, ive heard parking is a nightmare. I have been in a small group before as I am studying FdsC Health Related Exercise and Fitness at Chesterfield College but through Staffordshire University, and if Derby is anything what that I would hate it! lecturers just don't seem to try as hard in a small group than a huge group. And to say my group at the moment has only 20 people in it, most of us don't even talk to each other and split into separate groups anyway.. I suppose the only thing persuading me to go to Derby (Chesterfield) is the distance from my home (10 mins) but I want a good learning experience!

In that case, go to Hallam- the Chesterfield intake is only 40 people so if you won't enjoy that you're probably better off in Sheffield. I know someone at Hallam doing nursing who lives in Chesterfield & one of her placements is really close by her home, towards Worksop way! And with Derby you won't necessarily be placed near home as they stress the placements can be anywhere in Derbyshire.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Amabel
In that case, go to Hallam- the Chesterfield intake is only 40 people so if you won't enjoy that you're probably better off in Sheffield. I know someone at Hallam doing nursing who lives in Chesterfield & one of her placements is really close by her home, towards Worksop way! And with Derby you won't necessarily be placed near home as they stress the placements can be anywhere in Derbyshire.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I know :/ do you know how if your friend at Sheffield enjoys it there or not? always good to know how current students find it? Have you firmed Derby then?
Reply 5
Yeah I know :/ do you know how if your friend at Sheffield enjoys it there or not? always good to know how current students find it? Have you firmed Derby then?

Yeah, as far as I know she's enjoying it :smile:

I got an offer from Derby, but ended up firming Nottingham (Derby centre) instead :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Amabel

I got an offer from Derby, but ended up firming Nottingham (Derby centre) instead :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right cool :smile: good luck!!
Original post by Amabel

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to hijack haha :smile: are you going onto the GEN course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by WeirdLittleO
Sorry to hijack haha :smile: are you going onto the GEN course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, BSc :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending