Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I understand that there's a pi bond surrounding the double bond in an alkene, but does it not rotate well due to electron-electron repulsion above and below the bond?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magenta96)
    I understand that there's a pi bond surrounding the double bond in an alkene, but does it not rotate well due to electron-electron repulsion above and below the bond?
    The pi bond cannot rotate or the electron orbitals will no longer overlap, such that the bond is no longer present.
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-P_gTwSEVvGY/TdMneuFez4I/AAAAAAAAAEY/587N1eYTHKM/s1600/800px-Pi-Bond.svg.png

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magenta96)
    Unlike a sigma bond, the strength of the bond is highly dependent upon the angle at which you rotate it, going to zero at 90 degrees

ReputationRep:
    Ignore the pi bond for a moment and consider the p orbital. The p orbital is dumbbell shaped with the point of origin going through the nucleus of the atom. Each half of the dumbbell is conventionally marked + and - (these are just signs and have nothing to do with charges at all - think of a sine wave above and below the X axis and you get the idea: above is +ve; below -ve)

Each phase of the p orbital can overlap with another p orbital's phase that has the same sign ie: + to + and - to -. These form (for want of a better word) sausage shapes that lie both above and below the sigma bond forming a pi bond. It is this dual structure of the pi bond that prevents rotation ...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.