Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If I was to work would I have to pay tax, I am 21?

When I was looking for jobs online it showed £19 per hour for a social worker job, would that be before or after taxation?

ReputationRep:
    I remember Stressed Eric, I'd forgotten about until now.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Your age doesn't matter. It depends on whether you earn over £9440 per year.

ReputationRep:
    If you earn over the threshold in any given period it doesn't matter what your hourly rate is, or what your age is, you will have to pay tax. For example if you worked 1000 hours at £10 an hour you'd have to pay, if you worked one hour per year at £10000 an hour, you'd also have to pay.

The advertised hourly rate would always be before tax.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Your age doesn't matter. It depends on whether you earn over £9440 per year.

so if I earn below £9440 I am excluded from tax?

In this case for a social worker job at 319 per hour full time is over £9440 but will the £19 be before or after taxation?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Stressed Eric)
    Yes

In this case for a social worker job at 319 per hour full time is over £9440 but will the £19 be before or after taxation?
    No idea. Usually the amount per hour quoted is before tax.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Yes

No idea. Usually the amount per hour quoted is before tax.

ok

ReputationRep:

No you will have to pay national insurance of 12% everything over £109 a week.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

In this case for a social worker job at 319 per hour full time
    £319 p/h? I assume you slipped on the shift+3 keys and mean £19 p/h?

but will the £19 be before or after taxation?
    It will be before income taxation deductions.

You'll also be liable for National Insurance contributions of 12% on everything over £109 per week.

ReputationRep:
    The same way you pay tax on everything you buy @ 20% on top. You have to pay the gov 20% of your earnings above a certain threshold, which is different for each job or circumstance your in.

If your employed by a company, that company will take money from your pay check to pay the tax man each month or week or however it's paid.

What people miss out though who are employed not self-employed is, you can still claim some of your tax back by doing an employed tax return in April of every year.

You basically tell them that you've spent a certain amount of money to do your job and if its on the govs list of things you can claim back that amount will be taken off the amount over the taxable amount you've earned.

Blugh. Rubbish description. But my point is, unless your self employed and you do your own tax return every year, your going to pay 20% each month, but only if you earn over a certain bracket each month.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm not self employed but I still do my own tax returns, shuffle a bit of money around here and there :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geetar)
    I remember Stressed Eric, I'd forgotten about until now.
    Is there a funny story behind this?

ReputationRep:
    You can get online tax calculators that will give you your take home pay when you enter a salary. Just google UK take home pay calculator.

ReputationRep:
    I feel that is an honor as well as his contributions to the development of the country. I was not bothered because of this ..

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.