Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In M1 you got a moment of 0 if the line of action passed through a point yet in M2 you can take moments about a point O to work out the center of mass of particles lined up vertically. How does one take moments about the x-axis too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackabc)
    In M1 you got a moment of 0 if the line of action passed through a point yet in M2 you can take moments about a point O to work out the center of mass of particles lined up vertically. How does one take moments about the x-axis too?
    I am having trouble understanding your question.

You always take moments about an axis, not about a point. When you take moments "about a point", you are really taking moments about an axis normal to the plane of the paper.

If you take moments about the x-axis, then you find the perpendicular distance from the axis to the line of action of the force.

I think the issue you may be having is that you think of the forces as acting in the x-y plane. We actually set it up so that the forces act in the direction of the z-axis. In other words, if you have a particle of weight W with Cartesian coordinates (0,k) and you take moments about the x-axis, then the moment of the force is Wk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brister)
    I am having trouble understanding your question.

You always take moments about an axis, not about a point. When you take moments "about a point", you are really taking moments about an axis normal to the plane of the paper.

If you take moments about the x-axis, then you find the perpendicular distance from the axis to the line of action of the force.

I think the issue you may be having is that you think of the forces as acting in the x-y plane. We actually set it up so that the forces act in the direction of the z-axis. In other words, if you have a particle of weight W with Cartesian coordinates (0,k) and you take moments about the x-axis, then the moment of the force is Wk.
    What I have attached shows what I am having a problem with as how is it taking moments about the x-axis? Where is the perpendicular distance? And isn't the line of action, where gravity is a acting, is going through the axis so there is no moment. It's so confusing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    What I have attached shows what I am having a problem with as how is it taking moments about the x-axis? Where is the perpendicular distance? And isn't the line of action, where gravity is a acting, is going through the axis so there is no moment. It's so confusing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    See attachment.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brister)
    See attachment.
    I am still slightly confused. I see you rotated but in the initial diagram which is a plane but the force goes right through the x-axis.

ReputationRep:
    I am still slightly confused. I see you rotated but in the initial diagram which is a plane but the force goes right through the x-axis.
    No, it does not go through the axis. The force is perpendicular to the x-y plane. I did my best to make it look three-dimensional. Really, I did. The two pictures are exactly equivalent, just seen from a different view.

Imagine holding a piece of paper exactly parallel to the ground and let the plane of the paper be the x-y plane. Its weight acts perpendicular to the plane. If you hold the middle of an edge of the paper, it will rotate about that edge.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.