The Student Room Group

Graduate Diploma in Law(Law Conversion)?

If i were to take an undergraduate course in Ancient History & Geography and then took a GDL postgraduate Law Conversion, how would i go about it? What exams would be involved? Is it difficult to just do it after not knowing anything about law? As it is shortened to one year how intense is it? Is it seen as an equivalent to a normal Law degree and would i still be able to get jobs (Barrister)?

Thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
The GDL is quite accepted amongst barristers and solicitors. Do remember that to qualify there are other courses you have to take after the law degree/GDL and these cost a lot. (Solicitors do the LPC - around £9-10,000 for the course on average, and barristers would do the BPTC - around £15,000 I believe) And those are before you qualify. The GDL itself costs a lot too.

If you're lucky and get a traning contract/pupillage a few years in advance (for most places you apply a year or two in advance), some of the bigger firms/chambers will pay for your GDL and LPC/BPTC, and those are vey competitive to get.

As for the course itself, I did the LLB degree, but I have a friend who is doing the GDL and says it's very hardgoing. You're basically doing a whole degree in one year. I think doing an actual law degree is the better route, but from an employment perspective, firms/chambers generally don't mind.
(By the whole degree, I mean all the mandatory modules, of which there are around 9. So you don't do the optional ones you would do in your final year in a normal degree.) I expect assessment is the same as a degree - a mixture of exams and coursework for each module.
Reply 3
the GDL is intended to be the foundation for people who haven't done undergraduate law to pursue a career in law. no prior knowledge is expected. the exams will be the end of year GDL exams. most providers are for profit and the only prerequisites are a chequebook and a pulse. however, if you see law as a lucrative career option don't bother unless you are on track for a 2.1 from a good uni.

actually - if you want to be a barrister - make that a first.

you would go about it by applying to one of the providers and then writing a large cheque (for which no funding other than a CDL or firm funding to become a city solicitor, if you are quite good, will be available).
Reply 4
Original post by thecrimsonidol
The GDL is quite accepted amongst barristers and solicitors. Do remember that to qualify there are other courses you have to take after the law degree/GDL and these cost a lot. (Solicitors do the LPC - around £9-10,000 for the course on average, and barristers would do the BPTC - around £15,000 I believe) And those are before you qualify. The GDL itself costs a lot too.

If you're lucky and get a traning contract/pupillage a few years in advance (for most places you apply a year or two in advance), some of the bigger firms/chambers will pay for your GDL and LPC/BPTC, and those are vey competitive to get.

As for the course itself, I did the LLB degree, but I have a friend who is doing the GDL and says it's very hardgoing. You're basically doing a whole degree in one year. I think doing an actual law degree is the better route, but from an employment perspective, firms/chambers generally don't mind.

If i did a normal Law degree, would i still have to take that extra course- the BPTC as well? thanks
Reply 5
Original post by britfish
If i did a normal Law degree, would i still have to take that extra course- the BPTC as well? thanks

If you have a qualifying law degree you have to:
1. Either do the BPTC or LPC (depending if you want to be a barrister or solicitor).

If you have a non-law degree you would have to:
1. Do the GDL (conversion course- 1year) and then
2. Either BPTC or LPC (1 year)

The GDL is apparently very difficult, so be aware!. Remember there is an alternative and that is a 2year LLB (Bachelor of Law) degree which many Unis offer. Though obviously the negative is it adds another year!.

From what I've heard chambers (for Barristers) actually quite like people who have degrees in things other than law- particularly sciences as they can relate to clients better. E.g a barrister with a degree in Chemistry would better understand the concerns a large Chemicals company has than somebody who has a law degree.
Original post by britfish

Indeed you would. *last person's post*

Quick Reply

Latest