Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Adult Nursing: Salford vs Manchester University? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Starting Adult Nursing in September and received unconditional offer from Manchester Uni and conditional offer from Salford. Both Unis are great for nursing and have their own pros/cons so really can’t decide! Anyone has any insight as to which one is better for nursing / can provide that little extra to maximise our training?

ReputationRep:
    well I think you'd Enjoy your time more in Salford , as it is more kind of a friendly uni whereas Manchester is more academic , Solid and serious .
    but Manchester is a Russel Group uni which I suppose it kind of makes your degree more valuable .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anelaida)
    Hi guys,

Starting Adult Nursing in September and received unconditional offer from Manchester Uni and conditional offer from Salford. Both Unis are great for nursing and have their own pros/cons so really can’t decide! Anyone has any insight as to which one is better?

Although I am leaning towards Manchester Uni if I accept their unconditional offer it means I can’t have insurance choice but the unconditional offer is still subject to health check and CRB so not sure!
    If it was (almost) any other subject, then I would say Manchester simply because it's got a better academic reputation. However, for nursing it doesn't really matter.

If you cannot pass the health check and CRB for Manchester, then you will not pass it at Salford either. You know if you have anything that could show up on a CRB check, and you probably have a pretty good idea whether or not you have hepatitis etc. Either way, both Manchester and Salford will require a CRB and health check

Consider things such as
    - is accommodation guaranteed?
    - am I eligible for a bursary directly from the uni, and if so how much am I eligible for?
    - are there any societies that I'm interested in at either uni?
    - do I want to do the Manchester Leadership Programme? I *believe* it's recently been made compulsory for nursing students, but do check
    - do I want to get involved with RAG, and if so which SU does a better RAG?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by feghdan)
    well I think you'd Enjoy your time more in Salford , as it is more kind of a friendly uni whereas Manchester is more academic , Solid and serious .
    but Manchester is a Russel Group uni which I suppose it kind of makes your degree more valuable .
    I agree. Although I was studying mental health branch I was doing it in Manchester and i felt so uncomfortable that I've now transferred to Salford and it was the best decision that I could have made. Ultimately it's down to you to decide what you want from a university but I would say that on the whole Salford is much better

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danniitb)
    I agree. Although I was studying mental health branch I was doing it in Manchester and i felt so uncomfortable that I've now transferred to Salford and it was the best decision that I could have made. Ultimately it's down to you to decide what you want from a university but I would say that on the whole Salford is much better

Posted from TSR Mobile
    hi, im debating between salford and manchester for nursing as well and i was wondering if i could ask exactly why you felt uncomfortable at manchester and switched? thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys for your reply, all very helpful
    I have two friends that completed nursing at Salford and they confirmed that Salford appear more friendlier (perhaps even easier as they had very little coursework the first year) and they also have more placements in the first year whereas Manchester Uni has more theory. However Salford has bigger intake and placements can be quite far out.
    I am more of an academic person and given I am also EU student I guess Manchester Uni degree will be more valuable to me if I decide to return back home.
    That said, I'll be firming Manchester Uni...
    Good luck guys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snowbud)
    hi, im debating between salford and manchester for nursing as well and i was wondering if i could ask exactly why you felt uncomfortable at manchester and switched? thanks
    I felt that they were more focused on their targets and departments objectives than they were on the actual students. The course is 50/50 theory and placement as outlined by the nmc, but there is a definite emphasis on the academic side and you are therefore not supported fully when on placement. On top of that if you do struggle academically, there is minimal support. The department does have a good reputation but that comes from the work and research done by the postgrad students, which as an undergrad you will have no input in. But as a result of that reputation and that of the wider university, you are held to a higher standard. For some this will be fine, for others or can be quite difficult. As someone joining on the old diploma programme having already graduated with a BSc even I found done aspects hard and when members of my cohort asked for help and advice, they received no more than already given and consequently dropped off the programme or were 'asked to leave' after failing assignments. The department is very procedural and rigid and overall the environment is very clinical. I also found the staff to be unsupportive and down right rude in some circumstances. To be honest if you are one of those people that manage to get through life easily with no issues than its the place for you, but if at any point you need advice or support then I wouldn't expect too much from the department

In terms of actual nursing training and skills there is no difference. They both have the same sort of labs and equipment, similar assignments and of course follow the nmc guidelines for nursing education and both do these things to a high standard. But personally I prefer to feel like a person and not a statistic and I am now much happier at Salford

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.