Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Short, intensive language courses in Spain or Germany? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I want to do a months language course in either Spain or Germany this summer and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of any courses that they themselves or any of their friends have done in the past?

ReputationRep:
    Having spent most of the last 3 months in Germany, i'd say a month school won't teach you much at all. Just go to the country you fancy and walk the streets, my German has gone from 0 to a basic conversational level, and more importantly i've made a great set of friends and discovered a beautiful country in the process!

ReputationRep:
    For German, I used Oxford's 'Take Off in German'. It's pretty good, but I got it on sale for £10 and it is definitely worth every penny . But, if you can go to Germany to help improve, that'll be all you need. I think the best way to learn/improve a language is to be in a country that speaks it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andre1990)
    Having spent most of the last 3 months in Germany, i'd say a month school won't teach you much at all. Just go to the country you fancy and walk the streets, my German has gone from 0 to a basic conversational level, and more importantly i've made a great set of friends and discovered a beautiful country in the process!
    I'm not planning on coming back and speaking the language at a high level, I'm looking for something to do this summer that is remotely constructive, will allow me to live in a different country and meet people from other countries. I have already 'walked the streets' but merely walking around a city for a month and staying in a hostel would get very tedious very quickly.

I've done a weeks intensive language course abroad before and was surprised at how much I picked up in such a short time without really working that hard. I know what to expect, as I say the aim isn't so much the language rather the experience.

(Original post by Fool In The Rain)
    For German, I used Oxford's 'Take Off in German'. It's pretty good, but I got it on sale for £10 and it is definitely worth every penny . But, if you can go to Germany to help improve, that'll be all you need. I think the best way to learn/improve a language is to be in a country that speaks it.
    Appreciate the recommendation but as per above, its more the experience im after as well as having something to do in summer. I've traveled a bit around Europe before but was hoping to be able to actually do something that would give me an excuse to stay in one place for longer.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    I went to "La Brisa" language school in Málaga, Spain, and I loved it so much that I came back the next year. It also improved my German very much, since there were a lot of Germans at the school.

ReputationRep:
    I have just come back from Salamanca where I studied three weeks at salminter language school. They are fantastic even Eton college and the US naval academy go there regularly feel free to PM me if you have any questions !

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.