Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, basically I'm stuck between st Andrews university or edinburgh purely because I live in Edinburgh so it would be local and st Andrews because well, it's st Andrews.

The thing is due to personal/ family health reasons I'd most likely be travelling to and from st Andrews if I went there so I was wondering if there's anyone out there who already travels to and from and could possibly give me the downsides/positives of it? I mean is it a big hassle/time consuming/ do you regret it or not???

also if i did go to st Andrews and it wasn't for me and I wanted to transfer to edinburgh, does that seem reasonable/ has anyone ever transferred universities before?

Thank you!! :-)

ReputationRep:
    Somebody help meeeeee?????

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imfeelingthis)
    Hey guys, basically I'm stuck between st Andrews university or edinburgh purely because I live in Edinburgh so it would be local and st Andrews because well, it's st Andrews.

The thing is due to personal/ family health reasons I'd most likely be travelling to and from st Andrews if I went there so I was wondering if there's anyone out there who already travels to and from and could possibly give me the downsides/positives of it? I mean is it a big hassle/time consuming/ do you regret it or not???

also if i did go to st Andrews and it wasn't for me and I wanted to transfer to edinburgh, does that seem reasonable/ has anyone ever transferred universities before?

Thank you!! :-)
    Hey,
    I am a complete outsider to the following subject but here would be my suggestions to you to decide because the winner of .... vs. .... varies a lot.For example,I love St.Andrews because I think the course program and life seems to be more enjoyable.

First,

i) I would make further researches about the two universities.Their course structure,their environment,the international ranks,research supports, maybe scholarships and such.Finding those would definetely guide you to choose between two of them.

ii) I am currently living in Istanbul and I spend 3 hours of my day to go to the high school (that I love ) I don't say It is easy but again It's not the end of the day eighter as you can always study,read,listen and do many activities while you are on bus.At http://maps.google.com you can see how much you'd spend to go there (Its 1h 38 with public transit,or 1h 19 with the car so still that is not the end of the world ),the site also gives some directions like when the bus usually goes so you can imagine a schedule for yourself.(ex.If you have to wake up at 6 o'clock for the class you'd attend and 20:00 for the return after spending time with classmates and such )

Last and the most important is that choose the university that you really wish to go no matter what

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I am a fourth year SD student at St Andrews. I live here and I think that a lot of the enjoyment of uni has come from being able to pop round to people's houses whenever. For me, I think I would avoid commuting if at all possible (I appreciate that it isn't always an option). Two people in my lectures commute, one from Edinburgh and one from Dundee. It can be done but it is a lot of hassle. Especially in your first two years when you will have a lot more class hours. My fiance lives in Edinburgh so I tavel there a lot and, as I'm sure you know, if you don't have a car it is a big time drain. If you have a car you are looking at losing two hours to travel everyday you come here. If you don't I would say it might be almost four hours (the bus is 105 mins each direction, train is only an hour but you have to get a bus to get to the station and if the timetables don't match up you end up waiting around a lot).

I appreciate this must be a difficult decision, it sounds like you have more factors to consider than a lot of students. Honestly, they are both great unis in beautiful settings and most people are happy whatever uni they end up going to

I'm sorry I don't really know how esy it is to transfer between unis. There is some advice about it here: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/students...orwithdrawing/ which may be helpful to you.

I hope you work out what you want to do soon Try not to stress!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi. Don't live in Edinburgh and commute to St Andrews. It's do-able but you'll miss out on a lot of university life. There's nothing worse than having to take the bus/train home when all your friends are hanging out in the evening - every day. Don't forget University isn't just about education, it's also about making friends, interacting with your peers and living and breathing student life, and you'll feel semi-detached from it otherwise. It can be the best years of your life where you make lifelong friends - don't miss out on that.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you guys I've firmed Edinburgh which wasn't an easy thing to do but I tried to compensate this by saying I'll do my masters at st Andrews (hopefully) as things will be better by then and I can stay in st Andrews too instead of commuting

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    That is probably a nice balance. The joys of Scotland’ top universities is that there is variety. Edinburgh and Glasgow are the big institutions in an urban setting (Glasgow especially looks gorgeous) while St Andrews and to a lesser extent Aberdeen are nice smaller alternatives. Another words if you go to one set for your undergrad, doing your postgrad at one of the others would make a nice change.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.