Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/131288-...d-analysis.pdf

mark scheme http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/135165-...lysis-june.pdf

question 5)b) the last one on proton NMR, this was my structure its the same but mark scheme does not state.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Scan0222.pdf (312.9 KB, 158 views)

ReputationRep:
    its the one I circled on bottom that is my structure
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by otrivine)
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/131288-...d-analysis.pdf

mark scheme http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/135165-...lysis-june.pdf

question 5)b) the last one on proton NMR, this was my structure its the same but mark scheme does not state.
    Were you given a table of chemical shifts?

The only way to distinguish between the two structures is the chemical shift of the methyl and CH2 groups.

In your structure the methyl protons would be expected at over 3 and in the exam answer at about 2, but you could only be expected to know this with a table of shifts...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    Were you given a table of chemical shifts?

The only way to distinguish between the two structures is the chemical shift of the methyl and CH2 groups.

In your structure the methyl protons would be expected at over 3 and in the exam answer at about 2, but you could only be expected to know this with a table of shifts...

this is the data, we are provided http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/74947-datasheet.pdf

will i get full marks for the structure, cause my knowledge of triplet all that was correct in order to get the correct groups attached to each other

ReputationRep:
    I am not sure, if my structure is correct?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    I am not sure, if my structure is correct?
    No, you probably will not get full marks because you have the ester group the "wrong way round".

If you look at the shifts given in the data sheet you will see that the methyl group is attached to the carbonyl carbon, not to the ester oxygen ...

ReputationRep:
    No, you probably will not get full marks because you have the ester group the "wrong way round".

If you look at the shifts given in the data sheet you will see that the methyl group is attached to the carbonyl carbon, not to the ester oxygen ...
    do we use the chemical shifts to see what comes first? so does it go from small ppm to big ppm? thank you
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    do we use the chemical shifts to see what comes first? so does it go from small ppm to big ppm? thank you
    I don't understand your question.

You use the chemical shifts to differentiate between the groups you have identified from the integrals and splitting pattern, or to locate them in an environment.

You have a three proton singlet at about 2.2.

This corresponds to a CH3 group attached to an atom that does not contain a hydrogen (no splitting)

Your choices are CH3-CO-O

or

CH3-O-CO-

you use the data table to see which one fits ...

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand your question.

You use the chemical shifts to differentiate between the groups you have identified from the integrals and splitting pattern, or to locate them in an environment.
    I understand, but in a proton NMR , how can you know what comes first!Like in my example above, I did everything correctly but just done the opposite putting ester at the end.

I think I get it know is it because from the chemical shift there is HC-C=O and there is no benzene ring ?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    I understand, but in a proton NMR , how can you know what comes first!Like in my example above, I did everything correctly but just done the opposite putting ester at the end.

I think I get it know is it because from the chemical shift there is HC-C=O and there is no benzene ring ?
    Re-read my post above ...

I was adding to it while you were reading it!

ReputationRep:
    Re-read my post above ...

I was adding to it while you were reading it!
    oh so you work backwards cause in the NMR spectrum like you said 2.2ppm and do you go from right to left. Essentially?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    oh so you work backwards cause in the NMR spectrum like you said 2.2ppm and do you go from right to left. Essentially?
    No, it doesn't matter which way you go ... there is no left and right!

It's a question of logic.

1. You know that there is a singlet with three hydrogen atoms = CH3

2. You know that this is attached to the ester group.

3. There are two possibilities, so you use the chemical shift to decide which it is.

Where does left and right come into it?

ReputationRep:
    No, it doesn't matter which way you go ... there is no left and right!

It's a question of logic.

1. You know that there is a singlet with three hydrogen atoms = CH3

2. You know that this is attached to the ester group.

3. There are two possibilities, so you use the chemical shift to decide which it is.

Where does left and right come into it?

Ok, how do you know if the CH3 is attached to the C-O, is it by using the chemical shifts provided in the data
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Ok, how do you know if the CH3 is attached to the C-O, is it by using the chemical shifts provided in the data
    yes

ReputationRep:
    yes
    Bingo! Do you consider that question to be the hardest for an A2 question?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.