Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey TSR,

I was wondering if any current Year 11s are planning on going to City and Islington Sixth Form College this September. Or are there any current/previous alumni that'd be kind enough to share their experience?

I'm going to be studying:
    • English Literature
    • Philosophy
    • British History
    • Art History

ReputationRep:
    I was going to go, but I applied late so I might not get in, although I'm doing biology chemistry physics/maths (undecided) and history if I do get in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laylarose)
    Hey TSR,

I was wondering if any current Year 11s are planning on going to City and Islington Sixth Form College this September. Or are there any current/previous alumni that'd be kind enough to share their experience?

I'm going to be studying:
    • English Literature
    • Philosophy
    • History
    • Sociology/Economics (still undecided )
    I go there, it's a really good college. I don't so any of those subjects apart from sociology. The sociology department is good tho feel free to ask me any other questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shuheb789)
    I was going to go, but I applied late so I might not get in, although I'm doing biology chemistry physics/maths (undecided) and history if I do get in
    Aw awesome

(Original post by Pilot96)
    I go there, it's a really good college. I don't so any of those subjects apart from sociology. The sociology department is good tho feel free to ask me any other questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I do have one question actually, what's the typical timetable like?

ReputationRep:
    I applied and got a conditional offer, at first I picked biology, English Lang, psychology and maths but I'm going to change maths to photography when I go to the enrolment day

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DevrimK_)
    I applied and got a conditional offer, at first I picked biology, English Lang, psychology and maths but I'm going to change maths to photography when I go to the enrolment day

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh, hello (hopefully) future fellow student!

ReputationRep:
    Aw awesome

I do have one question actually, what's the typical timetable like?
    Well it depends really, like if you do 3 subjects, you might have 1-2 days off. You will probably have one full day in the week where it will be 9-5, those days are really long, with 3 hour lessons (boring sometimes)
    For me:
    Mondays: 9-5 all day
    Tuesday: 1-2:55
    Wednesday: 9-12:15
    Thursday: 9-2:55
    Friday: 1-5:00 (one lesson)

If you do four subjects you may be lucky to have at least one day off. But because a levels are so stressful, you will find yourself having to be in college regardless of if you have lessons cause you may need help or whatever.

Does that answer your question? What subjects are you looking to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh, hello (hopefully) future fellow student!
    Why hello there

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pilot96)
    Well it depends really, like if you do 3 subjects, you might have 1-2 days off. You will probably have one full day in the week where it will be 9-5, those days are really long, with 3 hour lessons (boring sometimes)
    For me:
    Mondays: 9-5 all day
    Tuesday: 1-2:55
    Wednesday: 9-12:15
    Thursday: 9-2:55
    Friday: 1-5:00 (one lesson)

If you do four subjects you may be lucky to have at least one day off. But because a levels are so stressful, you will find yourself having to be in college regardless of if you have lessons cause you may need help or whatever.

Does that answer your question? What subjects are you looking to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah, okay. Yes, thank you so much I'm looking to do Philosophy, English Lit, History of Art and British History. Which subjects do you do?

ReputationRep:
    hey, ive got a conditional offer to! im doin eng lit&lang, fine arts, R.E,and media studies. The place lookd alryt on da open day..

ReputationRep:
    Excellent sixthform, wonderfully situated around central. I did maths/f.maths/chemistry and all of the teachers were exemplary, particularly from the maths department. I did do AS physics but had to drop it second year, mainly because my teacher was quite poor, and the physics department just doesn't live up to the maths and chemistry departments generally speaking.

The biology dept is also quite good, but I quit AS biology half way through the year because I hated the subject, too many facts to memorize.

Years 2010-2012.

ReputationRep:
    I went there a couple years ago. I did English Lit and Philosophy, they were both really good, particularly Philosophy, which I loved and thought it was really well taught. Psychology was well taught but I hated the subject itself. The only subject I would argue was badly taught was Spanish because there are so many fluent students that means the course is too fast paced and the teachers assume you know things you don't because the majority of students do (because they already know the language!!). Its a nice location, especially in the spring/summer because there's a lot of green. The tutors are nice and really helpful, and so are the career advisors. I'd recommend it.

ReputationRep:
    I really want to go there and do these subjects when I leave school, but I'm in year 10 so that's ages yet

Computing
    English Literature
    Graphic Design/Communication
    Media Studies
    Philosophy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aleena1996)
    hey, ive got a conditional offer to! im doin eng lit&lang, fine arts, R.E,and media studies. The place lookd alryt on da open day..
    I was unfortunately unable to attend the open day Seems alright though. I missed the majority of the sixth forms I wanted to go to deadlines for application, so this was the next best thing, haha. And ah, awesome subjects!

(Original post by Ilyas)
    Excellent sixthform, wonderfully situated around central. I did maths/f.maths/chemistry and all of the teachers were exemplary, particularly from the maths department. I did do AS physics but had to drop it second year, mainly because my teacher was quite poor, and the physics department just doesn't live up to the maths and chemistry departments generally speaking.

The biology dept is also quite good, but I quit AS biology half way through the year because I hated the subject, too many facts to memorize.

Years 2010-2012.
    Damn, I hope my teachers are also exemplary - particularly for English. Can't beat a brilliant teacher Thank you, and out of interest, what are you currently doing academia-wise?

(Original post by christmas_steps)
    I went there a couple years ago. I did English Lit and Philosophy, they were both really good, particularly Philosophy, which I loved and thought it was really well taught. Psychology was well taught but I hated the subject itself. The only subject I would argue was badly taught was Spanish because there are so many fluent students that means the course is too fast paced and the teachers assume you know things you don't because the majority of students do (because they already know the language!!). Its a nice location, especially in the spring/summer because there's a lot of green. The tutors are nice and really helpful, and so are the career advisors. I'd recommend it.
    Ah, thank you! And that's brilliant news about Philosophy. I've heard there are some fairly difficult concepts to grasp, so having good teaching would be ace. Again, to you, what are you currently doing?

(Original post by yellowcopter)
    I really want to go there and do these subjects when I leave school, but I'm in year 10 so that's ages yet

Computing
    English Literature
    Graphic Design/Communication
    Media Studies
    Philosophy
    :love: (to the subjects highlighted in bold) What are you thinking of doing after college?

ReputationRep:
    :love: (to the subjects highlighted in bold) What are you thinking of doing after college?
    I'm thinking about doing something such as Computer Programming in university, but I also really want to do something such as Journalism or TV/Film Production.

I have a wide range of interests so it's going to be hard to decide. I love the arts and media as well as writing and subjects that involve a lot of thinking like philosophy.

I do also want to become an architect so may choose to do 3D/Product Design A-Level or Art A-Level over Graphic Communication, but it's really hard and I'd probably need Maths A-Level too. Planning to do AS Maths early though hopefully by getting an A* in GCSE in Year 10 and then doing it at my school in Year 11.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowcopter)
    I'm thinking about doing something such as Computer Programming in university, but I also really want to do something such as Journalism or TV/Film Production.

I have a wide range of interests so it's going to be hard to decide. I love the arts and media as well as writing and subjects that involve a lot of thinking like philosophy.

I do also want to become an architect so may choose to do 3D/Product Design A-Level or Art A-Level over Graphic Communication, but it's really hard and I'd probably need Maths A-Level too. Planning to do AS Maths early though hopefully by getting an A* in GCSE in Year 10 and then doing it at my school in Year 11.
    Ah awesome Best of luck with your GCSEs!

ReputationRep:
    Ah awesome Best of luck with your GCSEs!
    Thanks and good luck with your college choices.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, thank you! And that's brilliant news about Philosophy. I've heard there are some fairly difficult concepts to grasp, so having good teaching would be ace. Again, to you, what are you currently doing?
    Dan and Mike are really good so hopefully they are still there and you get them as your Philosophy teachers! I'm currently doing English Lit at Warwick University

ReputationRep:
    Thinking of transferring there for A2

Does anyone know if the Maths and F.Maths AS are simultaneously done in the first year, or if the Maths A level is completed in the first year and the Further Maths A level the next?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I've actually got my interview this Thursday (ahh!) I applied for the International Baccalaureate diploma

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.