Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've recently started blogging and would love the support and the interest of an audience, my interests in journalism has brought me to this. It's unofficial but my opinions.

http://ismakousar.wordpress.com/

My most recent post is on the Femen controversy.

Does anyone agree with me? If not, why?

ReputationRep:
    By stating that the woman is simply 'crudely exposing a "sexual" part of her body' and 'satisfying male desire' you have entirely misunderstood what feminists are trying to achieve. The point is that her breasts should not be regarded first and foremost as a sexual object, it is objectifying women. She is a free human being and has the right to do whatever she likes with her body. If males perceive it as sexual or desirable, that is their problem. Not hers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kousar)
    x
    I think their protest is pretty pointless, doubt any Muslim is really looking at what they have to say.
    They even tried to send a message to Putin...

Think the wrong message went across?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halbeth)
    By stating that the woman is simply 'crudely exposing a "sexual" part of her body' and 'satisfying male desire' you have entirely misunderstood what feminists are trying to achieve. The point is that her breasts should not be regarded first and foremost as a sexual object, it is objectifying women. She is a free human being and has the right to do whatever she likes with her body. If males perceive it as sexual or are desirous, that is their problem. Not hers.
    No, I've not misunderstood. Please look at what they're supposedly protesting against. It's 'Islamism'. Flashing your tits is only going to make you look like an irrational woman who does need controlling in the eyes of reactionary patriarchs. It's a counterproductive way to deal with something.
    (Original post by IdeasForLife)
    I think their protest is pretty pointless, doubt any Muslim is really looking at what they have to say.

Lol....ahah. My point exactly.

ReputationRep:
    I dont completely agree i have to say, although I am completely for the their speaking up for the opression but I don't think that there "running wild naked" is completely unexplainable as it it is difficult to imagine many people taking notice if a politely worded letter was sent to the tunisian government to explain the problem however baring all has most definitely got the attention of the media and others who might be unaware of the situation. I feel that the situation has forced her to take drastic measures

ReputationRep:
    I happen to disagree with near enough every point that you have made in your article.
    • What happened to arguments, articulation, discourse and dignity?

Well the point is that they have no voice so the only tactics they have got left involve the element of shock.
    • Undressing yourself is the easy way out, the lazy way to gain attention.

Exposing yourself in front of a country - a society - that is quite sexist and oppressive is not the easy way out. In fact it takes a lot of courage to do so. And like a I pointed out before - a lot of these women to not have voices. Yes if women did so in a Westernised country I would probably agree with you but this is not the case. These women need to go to the extremes in order to get attention for their cause.
    • Culture and religion are not the same. In some respects they are complete opposites.

I completely and absolutely disagree with this! Religion is such a huge part of their culture and is a key influence on their views of how things should be run.
    • The need to crudely expose a sexual part of your body in order to get the message I want liberty and respect across is hugely ironic aswell as oxymoronic

Oh God I don't even know where to start with this one. First of all, breasts should be just breasts. They are pieces of fat. They have been hypersexualised and this piece of stigma has been attached to the naked form of a woman. Next - like I pointed out before, these women do not have a voice. In order to be heard they have to go to these 'extremes'. By getting widespread media attention they have now got the power to use their voices. Egypt used riots and violence to get international attention - these women wrote on their bare chest.

I salute these women for having the balls to stand up to their oppressors in such a manner that actually made them stop and listen. You go girls!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dartanoir)
    I happen to disagree with near enough every point that you have made in your article.
    • What happened to arguments, articulation, discourse and dignity?

Well the point is that they have no voice so the only tactics they have got left involve the element of shock.
    • Undressing yourself is the easy way out, the lazy way to gain attention.

Exposing yourself in front of a country - a society - that is quite sexist and oppressive is not the easy way out. In fact it takes a lot of courage to do so. And like a I pointed out before - a lot of these women to not have voices. Yes if women did so in a Westernised country I would probably agree with you but this is not the case. These women need to go to the extremes in order to get attention for their cause.
    • Culture and religion are not the same. In some respects they are complete opposites.

I completely and absolutely disagree with this! Religion is such a huge part of their culture and is a key influence on their views of how things should be run.
    • The need to crudely expose a sexual part of your body in order to get the message I want liberty and respect across is hugely ironic aswell as oxymoronic

Oh God I don't even know where to start with this one. First of all, breasts should be just breasts. They are pieces of fat. They have been hypersexualised and this piece of stigma has been attached to the naked form of a woman. Next - like I pointed out before, these women do not have a voice. In order to be heard they have to go to these 'extremes'. By getting widespread media attention they have now got the power to use their voices. Egypt used riots and violence to get international attention - these women wrote on their bare chest.

I salute these women for having the balls to stand up to their oppressors in such a manner that actually made them stop and listen. You go girls!
    Fantastic! I like disagreement, gives me something to think about! You've raised some interesting points here which I actually don't disagree with. But I think you've misconstrued the religion and culture part though, what I meant was that the oppression that is going on in Tunisia is not a symbol or representative of Islam. It's unfair to deem that just because some patriarchs are imposing their cultural misogyny upon women. And cultural misogyny is not necessarily religious.

Abou my comment 'Undressing yourself is the easy way out, the lazy way to gain attention.' - I didn't speak about courage here, of course they are, to have gone to such extents. But to me, (and this was about my opinions as my blog overtly makes clear! ), it lacks dignity and is 'lazy'. Lazy because you're doing it the wrong way, sorry but in my opinion going out blaring your breasts (which is supposed to be someething personal to you) in public is just outrageous.

"First of all, breasts should be just breasts. They are pieces of fat. They have been hypersexualised and this piece of stigma has been attached to the naked form of a woman".

Regardless of the biology of breasts, yes of course they're pieces of fat. But are you telling me men don't dribble over breasts? Men are preprogrammed to find them attractive. To blare them out in their faces is only giving them one thing to think about I'm afraid.

I don't doubt that what they've done has gained media attention, but I feel it's been done in a terrible way. I think it's counterproductive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lenny_)
    I dont completely agree i have to say, although I am completely for the their speaking up for the opression but I don't think that there "running wild naked" is completely unexplainable as it it is difficult to imagine many people taking notice if a politely worded letter was sent to the tunisian government to explain the problem however baring all has most definitely got the attention of the media and others who might be unaware of the situation. I feel that the situation has forced her to take drastic measures
    It's not only Amina Taylor though, Femen members in European countries are showing their support by doing the same. Lucky European boys ay. No need to higher a stripper, they're there on the streets!

ReputationRep:
    Would you please stop plugging your blog all over TSR?

Especially as it's really not very good.

ReputationRep:
    I find it hilarious that I've been neg-repped for saying women shouldn't be objectified.

There really are some tossers on this forum.

ReputationRep:
    Femen just doesn't understand the culture in Tunisia and the way people think over there. As a French 'feminist' organisation, the women involved in it don't understand why other women would want to cover themselves up to such a great extent, so they try to come up with ridiculous reasons like 'oh, they must be forced to wear a hijab by their fathers and brothers' and that it's 'blatant oppression in a clearly patriachal society'. As someone who's lived in the Middle East her whole life, you can see that that's not true in the vast majority of cases.

Women in the Middle East choose to wear the hijab because it aligns with their beliefs - yes, there is a cultural aspect of it, and once upon a time women might have felt forced into wearing it, but not anymore. If you walk through the streets of any Arab country you will find plenty of women who don't cover their heads.

And to be fair, it's frankly insulting to say that these women who choose to cover their heads are mindless drones obediently following their male guardians with no individual thought - it implies that some feminists support other women's freedom only when it aligns with the supposed ideals of what they think feminism to be, which is a sobering thought.

Here a Facebook group made in response to Taylor, I think it's a more accurate representation of Tunisian women:
    EDIT: Removed the link, because the event was almost a week ago and now it's just full of spam.

ReputationRep:
    They will probably get death threats soon lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kousar)
    It's not only Amina Taylor though, Femen members in European countries are showing their support by doing the same. Lucky European boys ay. No need to higher a stripper, they're there on the streets!
    exactly, and in doing so drawing attention to the problem. was the last bit really necessary? either you're just being idiot to draw attention away from a lack in other departments or you are just an idiot, either way, unnecessary!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lenny_)
    exactly, and in doing so drawing attention to the problem. was the last bit really necessary? either you're just being idiot to draw attention away from a lack in other departments or you are just an idiot, either way, unnecessary!
    Indeed, the comment about the lucky european boys and the stripper rather demonstrates the attitudes towards women rather well.

ReputationRep:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...Qk2lK_Ks#t=50s

ReputationRep:
    Nice use of alliteration OP.

ReputationRep:

Pretty sure he was quoted saying 'I like it'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    Would you please stop plugging your blog all over TSR?

Especially as it's really not very good.
    All over TSR? Are you for real, I didn't know my blogs were on wildfire. I don't see why it's bothering you. If you don't like them, stay away from them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    Pretty sure he was quoted saying 'I like it'.
    lol he did http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...n-Hanover.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halbeth)
    Indeed, the comment about the lucky european boys and the stripper rather demonstrates the attitudes towards women rather well.
    I totally get you. But you said the breasts of a woman should not be seen as a sexual object. Well it is. And always will be. Men find boobs attractive, showing them in attempt to get the message accross of 'I want liberty' is hugely comical.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 25, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.