Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a question that I have successfully answered after two attempts, however there is something I am confused about.

The question:

A boy and his skateboard have a mass of 50 kg. He descends a slope inclined at 12 degrees to the horizontal starting from rest. At the bottom, the ground becomes horizontal for 10m before rising at 8 degrees to the horizontal. The boy travels 30m up the incline before coming to rest again. He is subject to a constant resistance of 20N throughout the motion. By modelling the boy and his skateboard as a single particle find the distance the boy travelled own the slope.

The solution I happened to have used (borrowed from Chaoslord in another thread):

use mgh

by using change in height you find the energy wasted in friction

so change in height = Xsin12 - 30sin8

and distance traveled = 40 + X

now force x distance = work done = change in energy

we can model the change in energy by using (Xsin12 - 30sin8) x 9.8 x 50

and work done due to friction is (40 + X) x 20N

then equate to find X
    I have made bold my question. If we assume change in height to be Xsin12 - 30sin8 then surely we are also assuming that the initial height is greater than the ending height?

Using 30sin8 - Xsin12 instead, ends up getting a wrong answer, and I presume this is because we need a POSITIVE change in height, to work out a POSITIVE change in energy? Or is it to do with the fact, that if the only force acting is gravity, then the initial height cannot be less than the end height?

I'm confused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cazmasetro)
    I have a question that I have successfully answered after two attempts, however there is something I am confused about.

The question:

A boy and his skateboard have a mass of 50 kg. He descends a slope inclined at 12 degrees to the horizontal starting from rest. At the bottom, the ground becomes horizontal for 10m before rising at 8 degrees to the horizontal. The boy travels 30m up the incline before coming to rest again. He is subject to a constant resistance of 20N throughout the motion. By modelling the boy and his skateboard as a single particle find the distance the boy travelled own the slope.

The solution I happened to have used (borrowed from Chaoslord in another thread):

I have made bold my question. If we assume change in height to be Xsin12 - 30sin8 then surely we are also assuming that the initial height is greater than the ending height?

Using 30sin8 - Xsin12 instead, ends up getting a wrong answer, and I presume this is because we need a POSITIVE change in height, to work out a POSITIVE change in energy? Or is it to do with the fact, that if the only force acting is gravity, then the initial height cannot be less than the end height?

I'm confused.
    No initially he descends X metres down the slope at an angle of 12 degrees so the height is Xsin12, then he rises 30 metres at an angle of 8 degrees so that's 30sin8.

The change in height from his original position to where he is now would be the height he descends take away the height he rises.

Therefore Xsin12 - 30sin8 is the change in height

Name:  Slopes.png
Views: 275
Size:  3.7 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    No initially he descends X metres down the slope at an angle of 12 degrees so the height is Xsin12, then he rises 30 metres at an angle of 8 degrees so that's 30sin8.

The change in height from his original position to where he is now would be the height he descends take away the height he rises.

Therefore Xsin12 - 30sin8 is the change in height

Name:  Slopes.png
Views: 275
Size:  3.7 KB
    Hi, thanks for replying

So, what if the height he rises is larger than the height he descends? Is that not possible? Because if it were, surely you would get a negative answer... Does mgh always have to be positive, since energies are not vectors?

If I'm correct,

work done by cyclist = work done against resistances + change in energy

is that right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cazmasetro)
    Hi, thanks for replying

So, what if the height he rises is larger than the height he descends? Is that not possible? Because if it were, surely you would get a negative answer... Does mgh always have to be positive, since energies are not vectors?

If I'm correct,

work done by cyclist = work done against resistances + change in energy

is that right?
    If the height he rises is larger than that means he gains energy as there's an increase in GPE. So no you cannot have negative energy, a negative answer would just mean its in the opposite direction.

Hmm does the question give you any info on KE?
    If not I believe that's correct.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.