Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I've been putting off University and changing my mind for longer than I had hoped so I've decided this year I'm just going to go for it. I have three unconditional offers for computer-based courses, one of them being at Swansea Met for Computer Systems and Electronics. Could anyone with any experience of the course or a similar course give me some insight? Just wondering what the overall course is like, are the facilities and lecturers decent? There's quite a lot of banter between a friend of mine and myself as he is studying at Swansea University, is Swansea Met really as bad as people make it out?

Cheers,

Matt

ReputationRep:
    Hiya Matt

I'm in my second year of Music Technology now and im really enjoying the course, i guess its somewhat similar, think its in the same faculty as the course you're looking at. The facilities are pretty decent to be fair, the mets one of the richest uni's in the country which means they do tend to buy in some good kit, although it can take them a while sometimes. This year we've had pretty much all major computer systems upgraded to near top spec intel machines (although they are dell, but i guess you cant expect them to get everything right :P), and i know on my course they spare no expense for all the software you need. We've also got OK Mac facilities in our building, not sure about the FADE building where you're course would be, but i know my housemate's course has just had brand new iMacs so its looking positive!

As for lecturers... its really luck of the draw to be honest, they're people at the end of the day and ive found it really depends on what kind of a person you learn from the best. That being said one of my lecturers is a pretty terrible teacher, seriously knows his stuff, but just cant teach. Then my other lecturer is a pure inspiration every class we have, seriously clever and passionate guy and a right laugh too. The head of faculty does a pretty good job at student feedback and making sure we're always able to voice our concerns about the course/lecturers too. haha, dont get me wrong its not the best uni in the world, there's quite a few things wrong with it, but its never as bad as anyone from swansea uni makes out, i dont really get the feud between the two uni's but there always seems to be a bit of elitism from them haha.

So yea, its a pretty cool place, there's some cool societies too, my view on it is its the uni experience and what you take from it at the end of the day. Hope that helps somewhat!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Matt,

I am a Computer System & Electronics student. I'm in my 2nd year now. I used to think like the way you think mate. I was kicked out from UCL at the student registration at the end of the September, when I even moved into the hall, because I am short of a grade when my A level Electronic got a C, instead of a B, which is the minimum requirement for that Uni. It was tough time, loses alot of money, not only did not get my deposit back for my hall, I even have to pay my breaking bond fee.What makes me much more nervous, is that when all the Uni places are full that time since it was at the end of September, when most of the course starts. So looking at the UCAS, I thought that I'm just going to give a try at Swansea Met, since the uni is still accepting student during that time. I actually thought that I'm going to get a transfer once I finish my 1st year, since I know I can get into better Uni, but in the end I decided to stay for a few reason.

1. The staff are really helpful. I have to say the technician lab is being too helpful. Sometimes, he is even giving idea on a project when he is not supposed to do so lol

2. The class is small. Therefore I get more attention from the lecturer. Compared to other uni that have over hundreds of ppl in a hall, when the lecturer use mic to speak, that type of lesson can easily makes someone fall asleep in the class.

3. Students are encouraged to ask question, since it is small. Everyone can shoot their question to the lecturer. Compared to other uni, the lecturer just present on a power point, then talk about it, that is the end of a day, when asking question is really hard especially when the hall is huge.

4. The lecturers makes sure everyone understand in the class. At least in swansea met, they are making eye contact to everyone to make sure everyone is ok, compared to the hundreds of ppl at other uni.

5. Lecturer is human too. I have to say the lecturer sometimes get sidetracked into chit-chating with students in the class, since it is a small class. But that is what makes lesson fun isnt it. Building relation with the lecturer and student. you wont see that in other uni

6. Hardworking staff. I have a feeling that they are not doing it for the money. They are doing it just to make sure everyone is happy with the course. They are happy to provide extra support session and classes when needed.

7 They do their own stuff. The handout they make are much more easier to understand than those wordy text book. They do their own research, own interpretation, based on a lot of experience in the field, just to make everyone. Unlike other uni, the lecturer just tell the student to read a specific chapter of a text book, by the end of the day, that is hell a lot of equation for a student to understand from the book. In swansea met, the lecturer here break down a lot of math and equation to make it easier for everyone to understand, using the same terminology.

first year is a piece of cake for me, since I have done A level math, computer and electronics, so pretty straight forward to just get everyone on the same page, which is the same for every uni.

second year is where things get stressful. The stuff taught are new and not A level stuff. ALot of assignment. I have to say after the easter break, there is 1-2 assignment to hand in every week. I'm still bloody doing it now lol. Well, I am not complaining, since this is the nature of the field that engineers expected to do isnt it, challenging and fun.

Well, that is my review. That is one hell of essay I just wrote there lol. I hope I get marked for doing this Well, I am going to continue pumping red bull and continue on my assignment. I hope you will find my "essay" being helpful on your choice of uni.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for the replies, appreciate the time. I've decided to give Swansea Met a shot so I'll be starting this September, see you there!

ReputationRep:
    Guten tag,

I am also looking to start uni after putting in and out of my head for far to long, so far Swansea met has really appealed to me as the Course suits me for a Future career as a Computer Hardware Engineer, but theres a few troubleshooting questions i woud like to have info on, firstly im currently living and working 12 hours part time in Swansea but would like to know how many days or such the full time course is as i know some of my friends are at full time and only do 2 and a half days, or would a part time course suit me better also taking into consideration that I'll also being doing the entry year as im not sure the skills i gianed in the army count towards my entry requirements, also can someone explian a little clearer the paying for the course and entitlements as i know from the website it says the course is 7.5k but does that include once agian entry year, i am just worried about any sneaky payments i should be made aware of as i have a wife and child to support but for what i can see the course is funded for me untill i earn a certian amount after completion? but any info so im prepared to set my dream in motion would be highly appreciated.

many thanks
    Paul

ReputationRep:
    I forgot how long is the module, it is more like 10-15 hours to me, if you are talking about the same course as this. This course is more like 5 days a week, if you are week, because last year I only have 1 day off, which is on Thursday. It is 7.5k pound full, no sneaky fees. I hope that answered your concern, sorry for not being active for the question before.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.