Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you rather be extremely intelligent or extremely good looking? Watch

Would you rather be extremely intelligent and average looking (not ugly), or extremely good looking with average intelligence (not thick)? I have to admit I would rather be stunning with average intelligence. Mainly because its very rare to see stunning people so you would be but in the minority but being very intelligent is more common (I'm not saying its very common though). Also if you have average intelligence you can still work hard, get a good degree and a good career. You might not be able to do a physics phd but you can still do well in life. Also being good looking is known to help you get jobs, employers are known to subconsciously favour good looking candidates in interviews even in jobs that have nothing to do with image.

ReputationRep:
    Intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    probably extremely intelligent and average looking, average looking people still find people to love them.

ReputationRep:
    incredibly good looking and averagely intelligent

ReputationRep:
    Just going on the basis of sex, it would be wiser to go for intelligence, as not only would it help you everywhere else, but you'd also be able to convince people to be with you. Either one would get you sex, but intelligence would also improve other areas of your life.

Ignoring that, though, without a doubt I'd much rather be extremely intelligent. I don't care at all what I look like, but I care enormously about science and knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    Extremely intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    Extremely intelligent and average looking.

ReputationRep:
    Extremely good-looking with average intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    Extremely Intelligent and average looking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Would you rather be extremely intelligent and average looking (not ugly), or extremely good looking with average intelligence (not thick)? I have to admit I would rather be stunning with average intelligence. Mainly because its very rare to see stunning people so you would be but in the minority but being very intelligent is more common (I'm not saying its very common though). Also if you have average intelligence you can still work hard, get a good degree and a good career. You might not be able to do a physics phd but you can still do well in life. Also being good looking is known to help you get jobs, employers are known to subconsciously favour good looking candidates in interviews even in jobs that have nothing to do with image.
    Extremely intelligent. Looks fade.

ReputationRep:
    Intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    Extremely intelligent. Because seriously, what sort of person would choose to go out with a handsome idiot?

Nobody I'd want to go out with, that's for sure.

ReputationRep:
    Extreme intelligence which I'd use to make lots of money that I could then use to make myself better looking.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather be extremely intelligent.
    Intelligence can be used to your advantage in almost any aspect in life - whereas the potential to achieve something via your looks is more limited in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I'd pick intelligence purely because when you die you leave a legacy behind of achievements and knowledge to inspire to others... You've learnt something from this life, what is the point if it is not to flourish intellectually as a human being...E.G. Isaac Newton etc. etc.

whereas extreme beauty....

You leave behind nothing but an average life filled with vanity.

For me, it is nothing to do with earning money or 'doing well' career wise, it's really your personal achievements in flourishing within society.

Personally, I'd rather be Stephen Fry than Channing Tatum

ReputationRep:
    Luckily, i'm both.

ReputationRep:
    It depends how extreme intelligence and attractiveness we're talking. But as someone pretty smart, and probably of average looks, I'd quite like to see what it's like the other way around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Timikji)
    Extreme intelligence which I'd use to make lots of money that I could then use to make myself better looking.
    I was thinking exactly the same,because then you can have the best of both worlds.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I'd rather have the intelligence. Looks are nice and all, but I would rather make my mark on the world.

Edit: though I wonder how one's natural gifts would affect which option they chose. It would be interesting if people simply opted for more of the same because they had already grown to like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treeroy)
    Just going on the basis of sex, it would be wiser to go for intelligence, as not only would it help you everywhere else, but you'd also be able to convince people to be with you. Either one would get you sex, but intelligence would also improve other areas of your life.

Ignoring that, though, without a doubt I'd much rather be extremely intelligent. I don't care at all what I look like, but I care enormously about science and knowledge.
    I guess it depends on what you mean by intelligence, but many people considered geniuses have had awful social skills and little sexual success.

Intelligence, without a date, I'm happy being average looking, but I'd love more brain power.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 13, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.