Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, IB student in Y12 here, thinking of applying for Natural Sciences at Cambridge next year. Just wondering if there are any people who have any personal experience of applying for this course with IB, and more specifically what subjects you would suggest as being absolutely necessary to give you a chance of getting in.

I'm doing Maths and Physics HL and Chem SL, and although the cambridge website seems to say that these subject choices are acceptable, almost anybody I've spoken to seems to say that you HAVE to do Chem HL to have any chance of getting in. So I would really like to get a wider range of opinion, preferably from people who have had personal experience in the matter

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Bump (please guys!)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xenopoecilus)
    Hi guys, IB student in Y12 here, thinking of applying for Natural Sciences at Cambridge next year. Just wondering if there are any people who have any personal experience of applying for this course with IB, and more specifically what subjects you would suggest as being absolutely necessary to give you a chance of getting in.

I'm doing Maths and Physics HL and Chem SL, and although the cambridge website seems to say that these subject choices are acceptable, almost anybody I've spoken to seems to say that you HAVE to do Chem HL to have any chance of getting in. So I would really like to get a wider range of opinion, preferably from people who have had personal experience in the matter

Thanks!
    sorry mate im in my last year of natural sciences at cambridge. I did further maths, maths, physics and chemistry at a-level and i got 4 a*'s. thats at the level of whch i got hopefully try get the equivelent in your ib's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    sorry mate im in my last year of natural sciences at cambridge. I did further maths, maths, physics and chemistry at a-level and i got 4 a*'s. thats at the level of whch i got hopefully try get the equivelent in your ib's
    Did you apply whilst on a gap year so they knew you had 4A*?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xenopoecilus)
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Yeah, the IB equivalent to that would be ~777 at HL Maths, Physics and Chemistry

OP, I don't do IB personally but my brother does and he's got an offer for Maths at Cambridge. I don't know that much about the NatSci course at Cambridge but I would've thought that 2 sciences at least would've been a prerequisite because you have to do other sciences apart from Physics (chemistry, earth science, comp sci, etc) first year anyway, so why not go for HL Chem? :dontknow: I mean, if you're just going to be applying for straight physics everywhere else but still want Oxbridge, then why not look into Physics at Oxford?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .raiden.)
    Did you apply whilst on a gap year so they knew you had 4A*?
    no i was predicted that then i got it

ReputationRep:
    Ok cheers guys, just trying to evaluate my options at the moment! Does anyone have any experience with applying for physics at Oxford and whether it better/worse than NatSci at Cambridge?

I want to do physics or Natural Sciences but I'd rather have a small town-based campus rather than a big city uni (e.g not Birmingham, imperial or Manchester).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I want to do (biological) nat sci, I am doing HL chem, bio, english literature
    does that disadvantage me?

ReputationRep:
    I think the only thing that might disadvantage you is not doing Maths HL as the NatSci course at Cambridge is pretty mathematical....but then again if you're planning on doing biological then it should at least be less than physical

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.