Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The IPL is generally considered to be the world's showcase for Twenty20 cricket. It has international stars from all over the world and viewing figures on ITV are quite high and so that shows people in the UK are watching it, so why don't the BBC cover it?

By cover, I don't mean they have to have say a live text but at least a page on the IPL that shows fixtures, results and a live scorecard.

I mean, things like the Football club world cup are given live texts when you get teams from say Africa v South America playing, nothing to do with the UK. At least in the IPL there are a number of English cricket stars.

Why is this?

EDIT: I know they can't have it on TV as they don't own the rights, but by cover it I meant on the radio or their website.

ReputationRep:
    Because Sky own the tv rights to it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rcummins1)
    Because Sky own the tv rights to it?
    So they can't have it on their website?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claret_n_blue)
    So they can't have it on their website?
    Oh you meant that sort of coverage. I've no idea in that case, maybe you could email them and find out?

ReputationRep:
    I think BBC used to provide scorecards on their website for the first few years of IPL.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ITV have got the coverage rights to it in the UK.

BBC post odd reports on the website if Gayle goes mad with the bat but you can't blame them. It's a general thought with Sky Sports News/SS, they hardly provide regular TV coverage but they do post results on the website. It's not everyone's cup of tea.

ReputationRep:
    'Cause it's ****.

ReputationRep:
    well its quite new and the bbc's communist so in the next 10 year plan they might discuss it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    'Cause it's ****.
    Joker, cricket is 2nd biggest sport in the world besides football...... Dhoni and Tendulkar are paid more then most footballers....including the big names.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    'Cause it's ****.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    Because itv have the rights it has been shown on itv4 this is why it is not shown on the bbc due to the fact itv would pay more for the rights

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    'Cause it's ****.
    I pos-repped you because I assumed you were talking about the T20 form of the game, then realised you were probably talking about all cricket... *sigh*

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 23, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.