Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    Im firming york for economics and I am lost as to what college to choose. Any idea where to start? Also what are the reputations of all the colleges like within the university?
    Thought i'd open it up for discussion about colleges in general.

ReputationRep:
    hi.
    I think I will firm York ,too.
    What course have you applied for?
    I have an offer for Economics&Finance.

ReputationRep:
    Oh sorry. Your are the one who answered me on University of York Firmers 2013.
    Sorry, I didn't realize. I thought I will find someone who is firming for my course. I'm still searching ))
    Sorry again.
    Good luck with the college choice!

ReputationRep:
    Hello !! I currently have an offer for Economics and Math here. I'm also thinking of firming York over Nottingham and Lancaster.

Glad to meet you guys here !!

My target colleges are Alcuin , Halifax , Wentworth as they have been mentioned to be peaceful. ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

(Original post by charliemac41)
    Hi there,
    Im firming york for economics and I am lost as to what college to choose. Any idea where to start? Also what are the reputations of all the colleges like within the university?
    Thought i'd open it up for discussion about colleges in general.
    Depends what you're looking for really. Goodricke and Langwith are by far the nicest to look at but they're located on Heslington East whereas the econ. Dept. is over on Heslington west along with the other colleges. It's about a 5minute (free) bus journey.

Alcuin has ensuite but there's not much community there and is rubbish for the social side, also it's not in central campus, it's behind the library.

James, Vanbrugh and Derwent are all central to the main campus and are all good especially James. However, some blocks in derwent are the worst in the uni akin to a prison block! Although by far the best for the social side.

Halifax is on hes west but is a 10min walk from central campus, it's the only only residential college with no classrooms or anything. I would say its the best ( I go here) but truly it's got a huge community and everyone knows each other, more like an American style as most of the accom is actual large houses. It's also got the best location, walk able instance to anywhere!

Wentworth is only for postgrads

ReputationRep:
    Hey Economics first year here.

It all depends on what you're after actually after. Derwent and Vanburgh are both really sociable colleges as well as being cheap however leave a bit to be desired in regards to quality of accomodation. Alcuin is really close to the department home however it is known to be a quieter college compared to others. Langwith and Goodricke are both situated on Heslington East with by far the nicest accomodation however I know that the distance may put you off.

One of the things to remember in regards to economics is that lectures aren't just in one place they're anywhere from alcuin to James so don't let distance to the department home be a factor.

I'm personally in Langwith on heslington east. I know it may not be recommended being on the other campus but there is still a large number of economics students here. One of the positives is that getting the bus everyday since we met on the first day is that it was really easy to make friends on my course as we get the bus and wait for it while in other colleges they just get out of bed 5 minutes before. On heslington east I would say Langwith is more sociable than Goodricke, it's proved when you compare numbers on the likes of the Langwith/Goodricke bar crawls.

If you want any more detailed advice for colleges and eocnomics just ask

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benny100)
    Hey Economics first year here.

It all depends on what you're after actually after. Derwent and Vanburgh are both really sociable colleges as well as being cheap however leave a bit to be desired in regards to quality of accomodation. Alcuin is really close to the department home however it is known to be a quieter college compared to others. Langwith and Goodricke are both situated on Heslington East with by far the nicest accomodation however I know that the distance may put you off.

One of the things to remember in regards to economics is that lectures aren't just in one place they're anywhere from alcuin to James so don't let distance to the department home be a factor.

I'm personally in Langwith on heslington east. I know it may not be recommended being on the other campus but there is still a large number of economics students here. One of the positives is that getting the bus everyday since we met on the first day is that it was really easy to make friends on my course as we get the bus and wait for it while in other colleges they just get out of bed 5 minutes before. On heslington east I would say Langwith is more sociable than Goodricke, it's proved when you compare numbers on the likes of the Langwith/Goodricke bar crawls.

If you want any more detailed advice for colleges and economics just ask
    Thanks very much for the info, I think I might choose Vanbrugh, I think i would quite like to be on the main campus, and be sociable. On the subject of economics, what are the lecturers like? And how much contact time (roughly) do you get a week?

ReputationRep:
    I'm kinda of torn, personally. I've firmed for History (as to whether I get the grades remains a completely different story...). I think it's between James and Derwent for me. I'd quite like en-suite, but I'm not hugely fussed. Moreover, I don't mind living in a bit of a rubbish building, it's just one of those things - I'm not going to university to live in luxury and opulence.

I like the idea of highly sociable colleges, so any input from current students would be great .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JollyGreenAtheist)
    I'm kinda of torn, personally. I've firmed for History (as to whether I get the grades remains a completely different story...). I think it's between James and Derwent for me. I'd quite like en-suite, but I'm not hugely fussed. Moreover, I don't mind living in a bit of a rubbish building, it's just one of those things - I'm not going to university to live in luxury and opulence.

I like the idea of highly sociable colleges, so any input from current students would be great .
    I have also looked at james. They seem to talk alot about how international it is, is it exclusively for international students?

ReputationRep:

Living in Derwent was amazing, one of the best times of my life. I remember reading all the same things you are when choosing and when I moved into my room I realised how crap all the talk about Derwent being rubbish was. Compared to any other place I had lived my room was huge and I never lacked for space and I had one of the smallest ones.

ReputationRep:
    Was thinking definitely Langwith or Goodricke but I want to go catered and I also want an en-suit... Derwent P block is the only accommodation I've found to offer that so far.
    So now it's being close to lectures but having to make food vs there being a bit of a journey to lectures but not having to cook. :unimpressed:

What's the difference between 39 week and 44 week lets?
    I thought it was a choice between 33, 39 and 51

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ed-)
    Was thinking definitely Langwith or Goodricke but I want to go catered and I also want an en-suit... Derwent P block is the only accommodation I've found to offer that so far.
    So now it's being close to lectures but having to make food vs there being a bit of a journey to lectures but not having to cook. :unimpressed:

What's the difference between 39 week and 44 week lets?
    I thought it was a choice between 33, 39 and 51
    You can get a meal ticket sold in package from the University's catering service by following this link.

http://www.york.ac.uk/commercialserv...mad/index.html

At first, I had the same problem as you as well. Derwent was the only one that has catered en-suite but it is very noisy so the Accommodation office told me to buy this package and will be able to find self-catered en-suite from other peaceful colleges. ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prospective UK)
    You can get a meal ticket sold in package from the University's catering service by following this link.

http://www.york.ac.uk/commercialserv...mad/index.html

At first, I had the same problem as you as well. Derwent was the only one that has catered en-suite but it is very noisy so the Accommodation office told me to buy this package and will be able to find self-catered en-suite from other peaceful colleges. ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah thanks for the help That seems like an awesome idea, I think I'll definitely do that.
    Then I always have the option to cook for myself too (I have to learn at some point!)
    Yeah I kinda want accommodation which isn't too rowdy (like I've heard Derwent is), but I don't want it to be boring either. Ah it's a tough one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charliemac41)
    I have also looked at james. They seem to talk alot about how international it is, is it exclusively for international students?
    It's definitely not exclusively for internationals because my sociology teacher went to James and he was a home applicant ... 10 years ago, haha. From what I gather, it has a higher proportion of internationals, but there are internationals in every college. I do have worries that I'll be on a floor with 9 Chinese students who just speak chinese to each other and ignore me, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Patrick Wallace)
    Living in Derwent was amazing, one of the best times of my life. I remember reading all the same things you are when choosing and when I moved into my room I realised how crap all the talk about Derwent being rubbish was. Compared to any other place I had lived my room was huge and I never lacked for space and I had one of the smallest ones.
    Thanks, that's quite reassuring. I think Derwent is winning me over, slowly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ed-)
    Ah thanks for the help That seems like an awesome idea, I think I'll definitely do that.
    Then I always have the option to cook for myself too (I have to learn at some point!)
    Yeah I kinda want accommodation which isn't too rowdy (like I've heard Derwent is), but I don't want it to be boring either. Ah it's a tough one
    For me, I'm thinking of Alcuin or Halifax due to being peaceful and serene. ^_^
    I also heard about Halifax but it's said to be only for PG.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely not exclusively for internationals because my sociology teacher went to James and he was a home applicant ... 10 years ago, haha. From what I gather, it has a higher proportion of internationals, but there are internationals in every college. I do have worries that I'll be on a floor with 9 Chinese students who just speak chinese to each other and ignore me, though.
    To be honest, I'm also an international (but not Chinese!!) from South-East Asia and I'm afraid of that problem (9 Chinese) as well. At least I hope to meet any new UK/EU/US friends who don't mind talking and chatting with Asian student like me. ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I'm also an international (but not Chinese!!) from South-East Asia and I'm afraid of that problem (9 Chinese) as well. At least I hope to meet any new UK/EU/US friends who don't mind talking and chatting with Asian student like me. ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, I really want to mingle with internationals, if they think I'm cool enough to let me . What are you applying to do?

ReputationRep:
    For me, I'm thinking of Alcuin or Halifax due to being peaceful and serene. ^_^
    I also heard about Halifax but it's said to be only for PG.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I looked at Alcuin too I thought Halifax looked good but maybe too far away from Hes West? I think it's a mix of post and undergrad too - Wentworth is the PG only college.

It will probably be Goodricke or Langwith for me now I know about that MAD card since my lectures will be in the law building on Hes East

ReputationRep:
    I'm attendig film and television production so my classes will be on Heslington east. Goodricke or Langwith would be the most practical for me, but it seems like these two colleges are kind of "dead" when it comes to social gatherings and parties?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.