Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does a 3rd order differential equation whose auxiliary equation has one real and two complex solutions,

ie. n = n_1, n = n_2 \pm n_3 i

have the following complementary function?

y = k_1 e^{n_1 x} + e^{n_2 x}(k_2 sin(n_3 x) + k_3 cos(n_3 x))
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Ateo)
    Does a 3rd order differential equation whose auxiliary equation has one real and two complex solutions,

ie. n = n_1, n = n_2 \pm n_3 i

have the following complementary function?

y = k_1 e^{n_1 x} + e^{n_2 x}(k_2 sin(n_3 x) + k_3 cos(n_3 x))
    I would imagine so, although personally I've never come across a 3rd order DE in a real situation! The basic principle is that the CF will be a linear combination of functions e^{ax} where a is a root of the auxiliary equation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davros)
    I would imagine so, although personally I've never come across a 3rd order DE in a real situation! The basic principle is that the CF will be a linear combination of functions e^{ax} where a is a root of the auxiliary equation.
    I did manage to get that for real roots. However I was curious about the situation described above. The way I laid out the example above with the trigonometric functions is the way my book treats complex solutions for 2nd order DE's. However, I tried checking whether what I described above works with an example DE on wolfram alpha and the result had no trigonometric functions.

ReputationRep:
    I would imagine so, although personally I've never come across a 3rd order DE in a real situation!
    Non-Thermal optical emission in extragalactic jets.
    See no. 19. http://iopscience.iop.org/0004-637X/499/1/167/fulltext/
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Ateo)
    I did manage to get that for real roots. However I was curious about the situation described above. The way I laid out the example above with the trigonometric functions is the way my book treats complex solutions for 2nd order DE's. However, I tried checking whether what I described above works with an example DE on wolfram alpha and the result had no trigonometric functions.
    I'm too lazy to make up an example, but I'm sure that if the DE (and hence the auxiliary eq) has real coefficients, then any complex roots occur in complex conjugate pairs so you get the type of answer you suggested

ReputationRep:
    I'm too lazy to make up an example, but I'm sure that if the DE (and hence the auxiliary eq) has real coefficients, then any complex roots occur in complex conjugate pairs so you get the type of answer you suggested
    The thing is that I didn't with the example I put into wolfram alpha.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Ateo)
    The thing is that I didn't with the example I put into wolfram alpha.
    Ah, right - you've picked an unfortunate case there () - one of the roots of the AE is m=0 so there are only 2 linearly independent exponential solutions and you have to introduce an extra term of the form kxe^{ax} - a bit like how you do when you're trying to find a particular integral and it matches the CF

ReputationRep:
    Ah, right - you've picked an unfortunate case there () - one of the roots of the AE is m=0 so there are only 2 linearly independent exponential solutions and you have to introduce an extra term of the form kxe^{ax} - a bit like how you do when you're trying to find a particular integral and it matches the CF
    Oops, I made a typo, the DE was supposed to be:

y^{(3)} - 2y'' + y' - 2y = 0

In which case it does work out as expected. Thus my initial assumption seems correct.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Ateo)
    Oops, I made a typo, the DE was supposed to be:

y^{(3)} - 2y'' + y' - 2y = 0

In which case it does work out as expected. Thus my initial assumption seems correct.
    Glad you spotted it - saved me doing any serious thinking

ReputationRep:
    Glad you spotted it - saved me doing any serious thinking
    Well is there any harm in that ?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Ateo)
    Well is there any harm in that ?
    There is at my age

ReputationRep:
    There is at my age
    Does the enthusiasm and the so called 'freshness of mind' for mathematics really diminish that much with age? Or is it just a slight hint of sarcasm on your side?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Ateo)
    Does the enthusiasm and the so called 'freshness of mind' for mathematics really diminish that much with age? Or is it just a slight hint of sarcasm on your side?
    It's more a case of competing priorities and other distractions in my case!!

My mind is probably less agile than it used to be, and less able to focus on problems for an extended period of time, although I do think I have a much better perspective on maths these days - I never really thought I was seeing the bigger picture before

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.