Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello.

I'll just give a quick bit of background before asking for advice on this. I am hoping to begin study in September as a mature student. I previously attended University when I was younger (and stupider) than I am now. Whilst there I retook my first year of study, then dropped out shortly after starting my second year. Thus I have previously received tuition fee loans for three years of study. I understand from this that, what with being eligible for support for the length of my course + 1 year, I should be able to recieve either 1 year of funding for a 3-year course or 2 years for a 4 or 5 year one. Whatever the case, I need to stump up the fees for at least two years of study (Please correct me if any of that's wrong...).

So far this is all fine. The first issue I have is that the SLC have it on their records that I've completed a degree. Phoning them (eventually) revealed that I would need to attain a letter from my previous place of study confirming that I didn't finish, which I have done. I'm now unsure as to when the appropriate time is to submit this evidence. Should I complete the online application first, or just send this letter in to the given address, along with an explanation letter before continuing my online application?

I also learnt recently that one can apply for extenuating circumstances in order to recieve another year's loan. I was actually suffering from - and being treated for - depression at the time that I dropped out (all cleared up now, thanks). This was around 8 years ago, but I'm still with the same doctor so would likely be able to attain some evidence of this if required. Any advice people can give on whether this would be considered valid would be greatly appreciated. Also, similarly to above, could I just pop something like this in an envelope and send it off? Do I need to take the plunge and tackle phoning them again first?

Thanks in advance,
    Ewan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EwanS)
    Hello.

I'll just give a quick bit of background before asking for advice on this. I am hoping to begin study in September as a mature student. I previously attended University when I was younger (and stupider) than I am now. Whilst there I retook my first year of study, then dropped out shortly after starting my second year. Thus I have previously received tuition fee loans for three years of study. I understand from this that, what with being eligible for support for the length of my course + 1 year, I should be able to recieve either 1 year of funding for a 3-year course or 2 years for a 4 or 5 year one. Whatever the case, I need to stump up the fees for at least two years of study (Please correct me if any of that's wrong...).

So far this is all fine. The first issue I have is that the SLC have it on their records that I've completed a degree. Phoning them (eventually) revealed that I would need to attain a letter from my previous place of study confirming that I didn't finish, which I have done. I'm now unsure as to when the appropriate time is to submit this evidence. Should I complete the online application first, or just send this letter in to the given address, along with an explanation letter before continuing my online application?

I also learnt recently that one can apply for extenuating circumstances in order to recieve another year's loan. I was actually suffering from - and being treated for - depression at the time that I dropped out (all cleared up now, thanks). This was around 8 years ago, but I'm still with the same doctor so would likely be able to attain some evidence of this if required. Any advice people can give on whether this would be considered valid would be greatly appreciated. Also, similarly to above, could I just pop something like this in an envelope and send it off? Do I need to take the plunge and tackle phoning them again first?

Thanks in advance,
    Ewan
    You would need to send the compelling reasons evidence once you've applied for finance. Just make sure you write your customer reference number on the accompanying letter.

You're correct in that if you do a 3 year degree you get funding for one year - which is your third year. Although you won't get a tuition fee loan or a maintenance grant, you'll still get a maintenance loan.

With regards to your letter from previous place, I'd apply for finance first, and then send everything off in one envelope (by Special delivery). That way they cannot say they *lost* it etc. It may be an idea to take a photocopy of the letter from your previous place, just in case they do decide to say they misplaced it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for your reply Knalchemist. Feel somewhat more on track now

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.