Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically im currently holding an offer from Lancaster to study management but im suddenly having second thoughts about firming it due to the size of the city. Ive visited lancaster before and I do really like it but im worried im going to get bored living there for 4 years as it's a small town! I love Edinburgh city but sadly got declined from the uni so im considering declining my current offers and applying to heriot-watt through extra... I just wanted to know what people think of HW and if its an accredited uni or not and good for business? I know lancasters an amazing business school so the decisions stressing me out! thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I applied to Edinburgh Uni too and I was rejected and offered a conditional place at Heriot Watt to do business management with marketing. I went to one of their applicant open days the other week and I loved it. The business course there is first class and has been rated in many top tens out of Unis from the UK and Scotland. The Uni at Heriot Watt is so nice. The staff were so nice and helpful. The campus is surrounded in parkland and the city centre is only 5 miles away. I think Heriot is defo worth applying to hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloemcwhirter)
    Hi
    The business course there is first class and has been rated in many top tens out of Unis from the UK and Scotland.
    Err, who on earth told you that? It's quite clearly not true.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...gement-studies

(Original post by Coley19)
    Basically im currently holding an offer from Lancaster to study management but im suddenly having second thoughts about firming it due to the size of the city. Ive visited lancaster before and I do really like it but im worried im going to get bored living there for 4 years as it's a small town! I love Edinburgh city but sadly got declined from the uni so im considering declining my current offers and applying to heriot-watt through extra... I just wanted to know what people think of HW and if its an accredited uni or not and good for business? I know lancasters an amazing business school so the decisions stressing me out! thanks.
    Unless you seriously disliked Lancaster, it would be a truly bad career choice to turn down Lancaster for Heriot-Watt. Purely based on the way employers see the universities and their ranking, Lancaster is a far better choice.

Perhaps the most important thing when doing a degree in management or associated subjects, is to get work experience. People who do four years of study are nowhere near as employable as those who do three years study and a placement year. I have friends doing their placement years at: United Utilities, Goldman Sachs, Procter & Gamble, J & J, Unilever, IBM, Nestle and Eli Lilly.

P.s Yes, I'm at Lancaster .

ReputationRep:
    They told us at the open day. And they told us about real life people who had studied there and been really successful. I was convinced by it. I loved the campus and the people there. Just my opinion

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloemcwhirter)
    They told us at the open day. And they told us about real life people who had studied there and been really successful. I was convinced by it. I loved the campus and the people there. Just my opinion

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If there's one thing I learnt from choosing a Uni, it is that they will do anything to prove they can give you the best experience and prospects, even if it means using obscure "facts" presented as reality. When it comes to Management degrees, the only real figure you want to look at is the graduate recruitment rate (from a reputable source, the number can be fiddled with!). Other than that, the course modules, the campus and the prestige come in to play - and you'll struggle to measure them!

Regardless, I'm sure Heriot-Watt is a lovely university, but it really can not match Lancaster in terms of prospects.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.