Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello tsr.

Firmed Sheffield a couple of days ago, and I see accommodation is now available! I've already been advised by a student there that I want Endcliffe Village, but on the site there's like 10 separate parts to it!

Anyone who goes/is applying there there know if it makes a difference for which I choose, and if so, any recommendations for me please?

I know I want an en suite, but most of them are anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but I am also looking for advice on applying for accommodation (I'm insuring, not firming though).

ReputationRep:
    Endcliffe is bigger in sense of its where practically all the first year students go so there is a lot more going on. There are a few blocks but some of them are only for certain students i think. Like the blocks to the far right of the map are for catered students only, and I have a feeling a couple blocks may be for some students on certain courses like postgrads. So in reality if your looking for ensuite you'll probably in the one of the more central blocks of endcliffe. I've gone for ensuite endcliffe! I've heard ranmoors not as nice but I havent seen it so I couldn't conclusively say that and I reckon its just as nice as Encliffe only less people/vibe. So I guess its what you're looking for really!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isabel_)
    Endcliffe is bigger in sense of its where practically all the first year students go so there is a lot more going on. There are a few blocks but some of them are only for certain students i think. Like the blocks to the far right of the map are for catered students only, and I have a feeling a couple blocks may be for some students on certain courses like postgrads. So in reality if your looking for ensuite you'll probably in the one of the more central blocks of endcliffe. I've gone for ensuite endcliffe! I've heard ranmoors not as nice but I havent seen it so I couldn't conclusively say that and I reckon its just as nice as Encliffe only less people/vibe. So I guess its what you're looking for really!
    Oh right, thank you! Wait, do we not choose a block when applying? I have to ring UCAS later to firm it, and then I can apply, but do you just choose "Endcliffe en suite" or do we get to choose a specific block?

ReputationRep:
    When you apply for accommodation you have to put your accommodation preferences in order, say Endcliffe self catered, then Endcliffe catered, you get the idea....
    I seem to remember they then ask you whether your preference is room type or the location. So obviously if location was more important than room type and you want to be in Endcliffe but they cant give you a self catered room (imagining this was your first choice), then they would try to get you into Endcliffe catered rather than moving you across to Ranmoor for self catered accommodation.
    I hope that makes sense.
    You don't choose the blocks or anything, you'll find out which block you get when your contract comes through (which you can always reject and ask for alternatives). The application process itself is really straightforward and doesn't take long.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turty)
    Oh right, thank you! Wait, do we not choose a block when applying? I have to ring UCAS later to firm it, and then I can apply, but do you just choose "Endcliffe en suite" or do we get to choose a specific block?
    Yeah just go for Endcliffe en suite, the uni will assign you to a block once you've got your place in August!

ReputationRep:
    I was always looking to apply for uni accommodation as well and I had a few questions. I'm an international postgrad, and I think I would prefer to live in a setting with a mixed undergrad and grad population. Is there any place like that? Also, is non-university housing generally cheaper than Uni housing in sheffield? And I know accommodation applications have been open for a month now, when would it be considered too late to apply for uni housing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ogopogo)
    I was always looking to apply for uni accommodation as well and I had a few questions. I'm an international postgrad, and I think I would prefer to live in a setting with a mixed undergrad and grad population. Is there any place like that? Also, is non-university housing generally cheaper than Uni housing in sheffield? And I know accommodation applications have been open for a month now, when would it be considered too late to apply for uni housing?
    I think that it is fine to apply now, but I don't know when the deadline is unfortunately.

I don't think that mixed apartments of postgrads and undergrads exist. You could get postgrad and undergrad apartments in the same block though (i.e. sharing the same entrance and elevator).

I think that non-university housing is definitely cheaper if you live in groups of 4 or more. It would cost less than £75 per week, with bills of no more than £15 a week each. For a single person I don't know, but it'll be less good value compared to uni accommodation.

I think that you should probably go for uni accommodation for the first year at least.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm just wondering if the internet the villages provide is unlimited? If not, then how much is the limit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janicenk)
    Hi, I'm just wondering if the internet the villages provide is unlimited? If not, then how much is the limit?
    It's 'unlimited', but I think they throttle you sometimes or for certain uses; torrents barely work at all.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone thats firmed for 2013 looking to stay at City and Central campus?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adeel_11)
    Is anyone thats firmed for 2013 looking to stay at City and Central campus?
    I am, I'm a little worried that it might be quieter but it's so close to campus that laziness wins out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sylviehelen)
    I am, I'm a little worried that it might be quieter but it's so close to campus that laziness wins out.

Yeah that's what i was worried about too but being so close to town must be beneficial for nights out haha, as well as how close it is to the Uni.

ReputationRep:
    Ive chosen Endcliffe en-suite, its so nice there and is lively even though its a 25minute walk to the uni buildings. On nights out taxis are dirt cheap anyway especially if you're sharing with a group of friends so not too much of an issue

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adeel_11)
    Yeah that's what i was worried about too but being so close to town must be beneficial for nights out haha, as well as how close it is to the Uni.
    Yeah, it seems that everybody applies to the villages but i would end up spending so much on travel as there is no chance of me walking it all the time haha.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it seems that everybody applies to the villages but i would end up spending so much on travel as there is no chance of me walking it all the time haha.
    yeah same here lol travel would end up causing problems! hopefully the city and central is still decent tho

ReputationRep:
    I live in froggatt, which is ensuite and right near the edge. here i live is more like flats. I live in a single sex, 6 girls flat, and opposite is an 11 mixed flat. This is the basic layout for most of the endcliffe flats. It's pretty good. Stephenson is shared bathroom and more like tradition hall, but is 2/3 minutes away from the edge.

Endcliffe is a fair walk to to uni, half an hour, but most people go there. You get used to the walk. Ranmoor is known as being quieter with less going out, and opal city apartments are mostly international students, I have found, and people have said people don't go out as much in opal. Though there are of course exceptions. Definitely go for Endcliffe

With a student card, the bus is 80p. walking to uni is easy, as its mostly down hill. Alot of people have ended up getting the bus now it's second semester. I don't and enjoy the exercise

ReputationRep:
    Hi sorry if this isn't the right place to ask but does anyone know if I should apply for accommodation if I've put Sheffield as my insurance?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by rooosy)
    Hi sorry if this isn't the right place to ask but does anyone know if I should apply for accommodation if I've put Sheffield as my insurance?
    You can still apply for accommodation if you put it as your insurance, although I think that it won't be guaranteed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turty)
    Hello tsr.

Firmed Sheffield a couple of days ago, and I see accommodation is now available! I've already been advised by a student there that I want Endcliffe Village, but on the site there's like 10 separate parts to it!

Anyone who goes/is applying there there know if it makes a difference for which I choose, and if so, any recommendations for me please?

I know I want an en suite, but most of them are anyway.
    I'm a first year at Sheffield and I'm in Endcliffe Village in one of the self catered en suite blocks You don't choose the block you're in-you get allocated at the end of August after results.

I've been to Ranmoor a few times, as quite a lot of my friends live over there, and in personal opinion, I think Endcliffe is much better. As there are far more students in Endcliffe, there's more of a buzz about the place, which I really like. The laundrette in Endcliffe is also bigger and, for me this is quite important, Endcliffe has a cash point, whereas Ranmoor doesn't. All my friends in Ranmoor have complained about this.

I'm in the end of Endcliffe farthest from uni, and it takes me about 20 minutes to walk there from my flat. I don't take the bus that often because it's now 80p and that can easily add up if you take it every day! It's also quite a pleasant walk, especially when the weather's nice like it is now! If you want to get the bus though, the 120 is the one most students in first year get.

The number of people in a flat varies-in some blocks, there are 10 people per flat, 5 boys and 5 girls, although in my block there's only 6 people per flat and it's all single sex. I share with 5 girls, although the flat next door has 6 boys in it, so you will get male friends and female friends

If you have any other questions about any part of the uni, please just ask

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.