The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

University of Sheffield Accommodation?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Mojojojo
Thank you for answering! Does the shower curtain stop the whole floor getting soaked then, or is it a flip flop job?

No worries! The curtain doesn't go all the way to the floor no, but you do have a drain that's pretty good (get a bit of bleach down there when you 1st move in) and it dries pretty quickly. But yes I'd always slip some shoes on in the morning if it was still wet!
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by doowahdoo
No worries! The curtain doesn't go all the way to the floor no, but you do have a drain that's pretty good (get a bit of bleach down there when you 1st move in) and it dries pretty quickly. But yes I'd always slip some shoes on in the morning if it was still wet!

My drain was crap this year. But definitely stick a drop of bleach and some hot water down. Seems to make a difference. Also, in terms of making the shower work, the one at the front, push the button in, this contols how hot the shower is, turn it to the left = hotter, to the right = colder. The bit at the back, turns it off/ on. Turn it to the right and it'll turn on.

It's slightly less confusing when you have it infront of you.
Reply 82
Original post by doowahdoo
I'm not sure what you mean about a club nearby to Opal 2, it's surrounded by some houses.

Also I would stay in Opal 2 a lot and it's fine, it's a different colour to Endcliffe and has less trees; but you can leave 5 minutes before a lecture rather than 30 minutes for Endcliffe folk. Plus if you want to go to the gym, there's one on site as well as a swimming pool.

Then in terms of a shared bathroom at Endcliffe, it will not be new. It'll most probably be stephenson by the sounds of it? This building is old (and I believe listed) so surely that's an issue with thin walls. Do you want to pay like a grand and a bit extra to be catered rather than save that money and have your own ensuite and live 5 minutes away from Uni?

Also opal 2 does have a large amount of international students it appears, but that doesn't mean there's a lack of social atmosphere!

Hope this helps

Thanks for your help, obviously I haven't been there and so I was only going by what I had read somewhere else on here. I had just read that so many people had met new friends on the walks to and from Endcliffe and that the bars there are really great and I don't want to be left feeling 'left out'. But yeah, staying at Opal and trying to make the most of it could be the best option!
Anybody else in apartment B2, Millstone Apartments, Endcliffe?
Reply 84
I am in F4 of Burbage. Anyone else? & does anyone know how many flat mates I will live with? :smile:
Anybody out there get in through clearing/ adjustment last year and if so where did you get housed ? Really want to be in one of the villages but understand the process.
Original post by Karl-m
Hi guys, really need some advice
I have been offered a self-catering en-suite room in Opal 2 for this year, but I had read bad reviews about the thin walls, noisy club nearby and the lack of social atmosphere
They have now given me the choice of that or a shared-bathroom, catered room in Endcliffe.
What are the shared bathrooms like and is it worth the sacrifice to be in Endcliffe?

In 2010 someone posted that Stephenson had its own pub and games room (table tennis, darts, pool) but whether that's still there - you'd have to ask. It would presumably be the 'noisy club' you mentioned if it is still there. In your shoes I'd ask which room I was being offered, and where it was in relation to the pub/clubroom, then decide.
Reply 87
Opal 2 flat G24 anyone? Keep seeing people finding people and I've not found anyone!
Reply 88
Original post by Rileyrhubarb
Anybody out there get in through clearing/ adjustment last year and if so where did you get housed ? Really want to be in one of the villages but understand the process.

I doubt you'll get a place in Ranmoor or Endcliffe as they're so oversubscribed, unless you get catered at Endcliffe. I'm a firmer and got put in Opal 2 when I didn't want to go there. Suppose there might be some places left in Opal 2, who knows :smile:
Original post by Pastaferian
In 2010 someone posted that Stephenson had its own pub and games room (table tennis, darts, pool) but whether that's still there - you'd have to ask. It would presumably be the 'noisy club' you mentioned if it is still there. In your shoes I'd ask which room I was being offered, and where it was in relation to the pub/clubroom, then decide.

Are you on about the games room that's in/ near stephenson? If so, it's still there.
Reply 90
Original post by Karl-m
Thanks for your help, obviously I haven't been there and so I was only going by what I had read somewhere else on here. I had just read that so many people had met new friends on the walks to and from Endcliffe and that the bars there are really great and I don't want to be left feeling 'left out'. But yeah, staying at Opal and trying to make the most of it could be the best option!

No worries :smile:. I think that people will meet each other and walk together in Endcliffe; but so will city people! If there's a page for your course, put is anyone on city campus and there you go. You won't feel left out at all I think. Endcliffe does have the edge, but ranmoor has the ridge, and city campus has the student's union! I must admit that in the edge it was very busy in freshers; but after that I think I went once to watch rugby and that was it during my entire time. Plus the actual event nights shall be in the city, so Endcliffe people shall go there.

In terms of the whole stephenson games room etc, again in freshers I'd say it'd be very busy. But you're closer to the city where there will be stuff to do. And anyways, there's nothing stopping you from going to the Edge if you wanted to! Hope this helps, I personally just wouldn't spend over £1000 more to be in Endcliffe catered when I could be 5 minutes away from uni with an ensuite.
Original post by iuytrewq
I doubt you'll get a place in Ranmoor or Endcliffe as they're so oversubscribed, unless you get catered at Endcliffe. I'm a firmer and got put in Opal 2 when I didn't want to go there. Suppose there might be some places left in Opal 2, who knows :smile:

Thank you hopefully there are some spaces in Opal left:s-smilie:
Reply 92
Original post by Rileyrhubarb

I'm in the same position! I already have my doubts about going this year so I might just not bother because I reckon I'd feel isolated outside of the villages
Reply 93
Original post by heshop
I'm in the same position! I already have my doubts about going this year so I might just not bother because I reckon I'd feel isolated outside of the villages

If you get put in Opal 2 I would still go as loads of people who wanted accommodation in the villages have been put in there, if you get put in other private accommodation though I can see why you might be concerned :smile:
Reply 94
Honestly speaking my first year I lived on campus. It was strict but safe. I also worked so I made extra money to purchase food and other things. My rent was $585/mo and thats including utilities. I had my own room with a lock and my own bathroom. Things to consider when renting with others is if you rent with people you can trust. If you decide to live off campus make sure to do a roommate contract or agreement with a witness so in case something happens.
Reply 95
Original post by alexzandar
Honestly speaking my first year I lived on campus. It was strict but safe. I also worked so I made extra money to purchase food and other things. My rent was $585/mo and thats including utilities. I had my own room with a lock and my own bathroom. Things to consider when renting with others is if you rent with people you can trust. If you decide to live off campus make sure to do a roommate contract or agreement with a witness so in case something happens.

I'm confused you said you lived on campus and then said you lived off campus? did you live in Opal 2 or was it private accommodation? :smile:
Reply 96
Original post by iuytrewq
If you get put in Opal 2 I would still go as loads of people who wanted accommodation in the villages have been put in there, if you get put in other private accommodation though I can see why you might be concerned :smile:

Yeah I just looked up Opal and it didn't look bad. I applied on Monday though and they still haven't got back to me, do you think I should call them?
Original post by heshop

Opal is very close to the Union, and a lot goes on there [ie, the Union] too, I think. You're also much closer to the city centre's bars and clubs, so I don' think you'll lose out socially.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by heshop

I've already had a gap year and really want to go, I suppose there is some hope for us, if not hopefully we can find something private that might surprise us. Its not a great situation but don't give up:biggrin:
Original post by Pastaferian
Opal is very close to the Union, and a lot goes on there too, I think. You're also much closer to the city centre's bars and clubs, so I don' think you'll lose out socially.

Lets keep our fingers crossed for Opal :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest