Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

Obviously there's going to be spoilers in this thread for seasons 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5, so if you've wandered in without engaging brain then just stop right now, turn around and hit the road, Jack! Cos we don't want to ruin anyone's fun.

I'm aware there's a few articles out there that claim to have some spoilers in - so can we keep any discussion to only episodes that have actually aired and subsequent speculation about future ones. Also, that really annoying bit at the end 'Next week on Mad Men', well not everyone watches that so could that go in spoiler tags?

It's just over 48 hours until the season 6, two hour premier (well, 90 mins), hits the streets. I have to go away somewhere without internet for a week, and that kinda sucks a lot.

So often I have spoken to friends who have watched season 1 and said they didn't really get what all the raving was about. I understand that because i'm fairly sure that at the end of season one, my opinion was kind of yeeeeeeah, pretty good, not great, but prettttttttty good. Well, seems Mad Men is all about the long game, because it has got better and better, but without a starkly noticeable change in quality. So I guess you just have to buy into it, trust it and be prepared to give over 2 seasons of your life to really achieve that. Season V was one of the best single seasons of telly i've ever seen - up there with the very best of any drama I can think of. I've not re-watched the whole season since, but i'm fairly confident my opinion wont have changed. I re-watched the last three episodes just to refresh my memory and once again found myself stoically holding back the tears along with Don and Peggy as she tenders a verbal resignation to her shell-shocked boss, and fist pumping the air when Joan walks into the daily as a partner with a share in the business.

My two favourite little touches in the season were this exchange:

http://thatisawesome.co/post/2259945...story-happened

and Peggy's part in the final montage, looking out from her window to see two dogs humping in the car park. Sadly I can't find a video for that.

I guess from looking back at the old ones that there won't be a really lengthy thread, but there should at least be one.

SPECULATE!

edit: Poster: Two Dons, one carrying a bag, one way streets, stop signs, a partner we can't see, heavy police presence and air travel. Well, lord knows really.

ReputationRep:
    So excited.

I always find myself really struggling to speculate about what will happen in Mad Men, but I do think Don will cheat on Megan in S6. The possibility was left hanging at the end of last season, and (if the poster is to be believed) the hand holding Don's doesn't look like Megan's to me. The dress looks very fussy and traditional and feminine, and much more akin to something a character like Betty would wear. Plus, it's Don, let's face it, haha.

Not sure what else will happen, but I really hope Joan is back and properly kicking ass again, I hope Sally becomes even more rebellious, and I hope there's still lots of Peggy. It would be brilliant to watch her become involved in a rivalry with SCDP over an account.

It's interesting that you call season five your favourite. I really love all the seasons, but if I was pushed to rank them, season five would be bottom two for me. I think seasons three and four are Mad Men's best. Shut The Door, Have a Seat and The Suitcase, nuff said :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Oh season five definitely for me. It was just oozing with symbolism and silly metaphors and foreshadowing. My only worry is that, on re-watch, i'd find it a little heavy handed.

Interesting that you mention Betty. Towards the end of S5, Sally said that she wishes Henry would just leave her, and i suspect one way or another that those two will split. Betty has been a little disappointing, at times, but I really feel that she has a part to play in S6 and that's more likely to happen if she is alone.

ReputationRep:

I enjoyed the Season Premiere damn it, although I've seen unfavourable reviews. Only problem was that there wasn't enough Pete Campbell. Pete Campbell is a hero.

I'd have to say that Season 4 has been the best so far, with Season 3 and 5 close behind. "Guy Walks Into an Advertising Agency" being my favourite episode so far, with "The Suitcase" not far behind.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it really felt as though as though they were doing more setting up in this episode, didn't it. The scene with Pete and Trudy (is that her name) was excellent. I'll post some thoughts about this soon but I'm bogged under with work atm

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Not gonna lie, I'm not loving this season so far.

I'm not enjoying the Don/doctor's wife cheating storyline; it's treading over old, tired ground, there's nothing subtle about it and it feels like the writers are trying to make people hate Don or something. I'd much rather see scenes in SCDP than this overload of relationship stuff. The Pete/Trudy scenes were excellent, though. I was so shocked when Trudy said "you could have at least been subtle about it" and pretty much told Pete she knew he wanted the apartment in the city so he could freely cheat on her. She's much more perceptive than I'd given her credit for, and the "I will destroy you" line was awesome, haha.

Does anyone else feel that this new Benson character (the guy in the SCDP office who has suddenly appeared and is trying to force himself into all the business affairs) is just awkward? He's obviously going to serve some sort of purpose, but at the moment, it feels like he's being awkwardly inserted into scenes just for the sake of letting people know he's there and that something is going to happen with him. I dunno.

I miss Lane :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Weak start to the season but you can already feel it building up to explode later on.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else watched last night's episode yet? Now THAT is an episode of Mad Men. Such an improvement on the beginning of the season.

I think I actually, genuinely hate Don now.

ReputationRep:
    I've watched it.

Spoiler:
    Show

I don't really have any issue with the first three episodes and think they did a decent job of drawing out a few of the key battle lines and themes (Don/Sylvia, Harry feeling under-appreciated, Ken's family/work dilemma, Joan's position on the board, Peggy working for rivals, People cheating on each other, people betraying each other, Vietnam, racial integration, the hippy movement, marijuana smoking etc etc). There's a lot of characters in the show and 2 or 3 episodes is probably the bare minimum to really lay the foundation for the gear change we got in episodes 3 and 4. I need to re-watch the first few episodes of each season to check this, but i'm pretty sure they've followed a similar pattern. Anyways, I thought last nights was of similar quality and just stepped up a gear in as much as more things happened. Joan felt the reality of her position on the board, Peggy was involved in the confrontation with old friends and colleagues, Don takes his anger about this out on Megan and Harry escalates his complaints about the way he's been treated. Was Harry was just a tool for the Joan story-line or will we actually see that story develop? He does seem to be the office joke who's constantly crapped on by the other characters and I wonder how valuable he actually is to SCDP, or another rival company. Bert clearly doesn't think much of him and what Bert says, goes. Nothing much from Pete this week - seems as though being thrown out and told "If you so much as opens your fly to urinate then i will destroy you" is about all they could put the poor dumb-ass through for a fortnight. Really loved the pitch with Don stood outside listening (surely a call back to the very beginning of the episode). And Peggy's pitch was great - she may as well have written that with Don's eavesdropping in mind.

The cheating and the prostitution themes have been very heavy. The whorehouse scene in the first or second episode was perhaps the one scene that I really wasn't taken with. It's constant though: Pete, Don and Sylvia, Peggy betraying her friend, SCDP betraying Heinz and Ken, the guy from Heinz removing his wedding ring, Meghan's fictional affair and Joan's friend cheating on her husband, just to name a few off the top of my head.

Decent start to the season - slow but steady.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely the best show of the season. The two pitches followed by the bar scene were great.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone seen the latest ep?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Anyone seen the latest ep?
    Yeah, I really liked it.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Thought the various reactions to MLK's assassination were very thoughtfully done. The scene where Don talked about faking love for his children was sad (great acting), as was the last scene with Bobby. Probably my favourite episode of the season so far. I feel it did an excellent job of capturing the social climate, and it's so interesting to think how much things have changed in that respect since the earlier seasons/early sixties.

That said, I do hope the pace picks up next episode. It's been a fairly slow start to the season and while I'm okay with this so far, I do feel like some of the plot threads they've started - Don's affair, Peggy's new job etc. need to move forward in a big way soon, or it will start to get frustrating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belligerent ghoul)
    Yeah, I really liked it.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Thought the various reactions to MLK's assassination were very thoughtfully done. The scene where Don talked about faking love for his children was sad (great acting), as was the last scene with Bobby. Probably my favourite episode of the season so far. I feel it did an excellent job of capturing the social climate, and it's so interesting to think how much things have changed in that respect since the earlier seasons/early sixties.

That said, I do hope the pace picks up next episode. It's been a fairly slow start to the season and while I'm okay with this so far, I do feel like some of the plot threads they've started - Don's affair, Peggy's new job etc. need to move forward in a big way soon, or it will start to get frustrating.
    Agree with pretty much all you said. This season seems to be going down previous alleys but with a new twist each time, the death of an icon being the latest (MLK). Enjoyable episode though, Jon Hamm continues to shine. The part when Bobby says he's not allowed to watch the telly and it cuts to him and Don at the cinema was hilarious.

Pretty sure the pace will pick up, I have a lot of trust in Matthew Weiner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Agree with pretty much all you said. This season seems to be going down previous alleys but with a new twist each time, the death of an icon being the latest (MLK). Enjoyable episode though, Jon Hamm continues to shine. The part when Bobby says he's not allowed to watch the telly and it cuts to him and Don at the cinema was hilarious.

Pretty sure the pace will pick up, I have a lot of trust in Matthew Weiner.
    Oh, yeah I have faith that it will follow the same formula as the previous seasons with the slow start building up to a really intense finale. It's one of the most consistently high quality shows I watch, I don't think they'd wait until the penultimate season to mess it up (least I bloody well hope not!). Looking forward to the rest of the season...lots of great historical stuff coming up.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.