The Student Room Group

Does a PhD get you noticed for pupillage?

Hi!

This is another "can I make it" thread I'm afraid!

I'm finishing up a PhD in philosophy, and considering coming to the bar. My academics are good (Oxbridge first, a few prizes, academic publications) but obviously not law-related at all. I went straight into the MPhil and then PhD after finishing my BA (all at the same Oxbridge college) so I don't have much in the way of real-world experience, though I have taught and lectured, and I'm doing some law-related volunteering (advising people on benefits eligibility). I've also done a couple of mini-pupillages, and an MC vac scheme. Going to the bar really appeals to me - but I'm pretty broke so it would involve taking out a massive loan, even if I did manage to get an Inn scholarship. I just don't know whether it's worth the risk.

I also have an offer of a TC from an Magic Circle firm, so obviously the financial security that offers is extremely tempting -- but I just worry that if I accepted that I'd be wondering 'what if' I had taken the risk and tried to get pupillage somewhere.

So I'd be very interested to know if anyone knows whether my PhD would be a help or a hinderance in pupillage applications. Is a 25 year old who has never had a job "too academic"?

Any insights on this would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance.
So long as you have a good reason to explain why you want to go to the Bar after a PhD I don't see why it would be a hinderance. There are countless examples of Barristers who have done PhDs previously; but as with everyone, it is a risk.
Thanks for your answer!! It's good to know that there are lots of barristers with PhDs - that is definitely reassuring.
Can't see it being a hindrance, if anything it may even make you stand out.
Original post by perplexedpenguin
Hi!

This is another "can I make it" thread I'm afraid!

I'm finishing up a PhD in philosophy, and considering coming to the bar. My academics are good (Oxbridge first, a few prizes, academic publications) but obviously not law-related at all. I went straight into the MPhil and then PhD after finishing my BA (all at the same Oxbridge college) so I don't have much in the way of real-world experience, though I have taught and lectured, and I'm doing some law-related volunteering (advising people on benefits eligibility). I've also done a couple of mini-pupillages, and an MC vac scheme. Going to the bar really appeals to me - but I'm pretty broke so it would involve taking out a massive loan, even if I did manage to get an Inn scholarship. I just don't know whether it's worth the risk.

I also have an offer of a TC from an Magic Circle firm, so obviously the financial security that offers is extremely tempting -- but I just worry that if I accepted that I'd be wondering 'what if' I had taken the risk and tried to get pupillage somewhere.

So I'd be very interested to know if anyone knows whether my PhD would be a help or a hinderance in pupillage applications. Is a 25 year old who has never had a job "too academic"?

Any insights on this would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance.

Have you considered taking the MC offer and then cross-qualifying later on when you have some money, legal experience, and strong contacts?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending