Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is there any advantage to taking a CompSci and Maths joint honours as opposed to a straight CompSci degree? I have a real interest in both Maths and CompSci but I'd like to end up working in technology (although exactly what field I'm unsure) as the financial/actuarial/academic/teaching careers that the majority of Maths grads go into don't appeal to me at all and I figure if I'm going to end up working with computers I might as well make my tuition fees of some use!

My worry's that I'll end up missing a lot of useful CompSci material to cover largely irrelevant Maths modules on a joint course - no doubt it varies from institution to institution, I know the Cambridge course just replaces the NatSci option with Maths in the first year which looks ideal, but it's probably wise to consider options beyond there...! I'm wondering whether there's any real utility/relevance to doing the extra maths, or whether all the maths you'll need will already be covered in a CompSci degree (which from what I've read is already maths-heavy at decent institutions). Would something like UCL's Mathematical Computation or Warwick's Discrete Mathematics be a better option perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    When I was researching this, it seemed the joint Maths & CS courses very much had their focus on Maths, with a bit of CS on the side. That didn't appeal to me.

I wouldn't worry too much about careers - where you end up working is much more determined by what you fancy doing than the course you studied.

What's important is you find a course that appeals to you. (P.S. the Cambridge CompSci course has no maths after the first year, or at least no non-CS maths, so that might be a good compromise for you.)

What you find (I think) is that Maths degrees tend to be quite different to A-level - it becomes much more theoretical. But any science degree such as CS, Physics, Chemistry, etc will have quite a substantial maths content - you won't be able to get away from maths!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.