The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Are my grades good enough for LSE

Gys I have 7As 1A8 2 Bs in GCSE.
I have Accel Math, Physics, Eco, Further Math, Psych and World History(AS)
Due lo low gcse does trhat mean I dont have any Chance for straight Econ
Reply 1
Unfortunately so, LSE is picky about GCSE and anything less than 7 a*s probably won't even be looked at. It does sound harsh but since economics is one of the most competitive courses at lse, your chances are extremely slim if not impossible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by Ready4uni
Unfortunately so, LSE is picky about GCSE and anything less than 7 a*s probably won't even be looked at. It does sound harsh but since economics is one of the most competitive courses at lse, your chances are extremely slim if not impossible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What if my P.S and my AS grades are outstanding.. Wont that increase my chances?
From LSE website for BSc Economics -

"Successful applicants for this programme are, usually, predicted A*AA in their A level examinations and have already achieved excellent GCSE grades including the majority at A and A*. The Economics selectors consider not just the number of top GCSE grades that you have, but also your overall GCSE subject profile."
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by maliksajwani
Gys I have 7As 1A8 2 Bs in GCSE.
I have Accel Math, Physics, Eco, Further Math, Psych and World History(AS)
Due lo low gcse does trhat mean I dont have any Chance for straight Econ

It's worth applying if you want to AND you have the required predictions in your A-Levels alongside top scores in your AS.

But sadly Economics is one of the most popular courses at the LSE and, as you know, competition is stiff. It's even difficult to predict if someone with an almost perfect profile will get in.
Reply 5
Original post by arrowhead
It's worth applying if you want to AND you have the required predictions in your A-Levels alongside top scores in your AS.

But sadly Economics is one of the most popular courses at the LSE and, as you know, competition is stiff. It's even difficult to predict if someone with an almost perfect profile will get in.

Reply 6
What if my P.S and my AS grades are outstanding.. Wont that increase my chances?

I know this sounds really harsh but it will do little to help, univeristies are aware that students can work hard and redraft ps many times. Unless they require interviews (which Lse doesn't do), ps works only as a supplement to your grades, which are the most solid evidence and reflect best your academic abilities. After all there is no point taking in someone who can write personal statements but cannot perform in exams.

AS grades can help but you have to bare in mind most people applying would have all As, everything makes a difference in such courses and as people have said, some people with 8 or 9 or even 10a*s don't get in. Of course there is nothing wrong with applying except for using up one of your 5 options but you should understand where you stand.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by returnmigrant
From LSE website for BSc Economics -

"Successful applicants for this programme are, usually, predicted A*AA in their A level examinations and have already achieved excellent GCSE grades including the majority at A and A*. The Economics selectors consider not just the number of top GCSE grades that you have, but also your overall GCSE subject profile."

No problem dude thanks for referring that!! :smile: Im sorry but can u explain What is difference between considering not just the number of top GCSE grades that you have, BUT also your overall GCSE subject profile. These are two different points and I cant get the chase?
Reply 8
No problem dude thanks for referring that!! :smile: Im sorry but can u explain What is difference between considering not just the number of top GCSE grades that you have, BUT also your overall GCSE subject profile. These are two different points and I cant get the chase?

It means it's not only important to have a majority of As and A*s in your GCSEs, but they also take into account which subjects you chose to pursue in your GCSEs, the level of difficulty, etc.

Say an admission decision has come down to you and candidate X. You had 6As and 3A*s at GCSE and X had 4As and 5A*s. Seemingly, in this case, X has the advantage over you, but the uni is saying that they consider the individual subjects you've taken. So if you got your As in Physics, Chemistry, History, or other traditional subjects, while X got the bulk of his A*s in subjects like Drama and Film Studies which are 'non-preferred' by the LSE, X's advantage is all but erased.
Reply 9
I'm also in a position like you. I was wondering, will these grades will good for Law at Kings/UCL/LSE?

English Language A
English Literature A
Maths A*
Media A
Statistics- B
History- A
Chemistry- A
Biology- B
Physics- B
ICT (x2)- B/A

P.S. For A-Levels, I'm doing, Maths, Economics, Eng Lit and History

(Please only give relevant feedback)

Reply 10
Original post by Adz57
I'm also in a position like you. I was wondering, will these grades will good for Law at Kings/UCL/LSE?

English Language A
English Literature A
Maths A*
Media A
Statistics- B
History- A
Chemistry- A
Biology- B
Physics- B
ICT (x2)- B/A

P.S. For A-Levels, I'm doing, Maths, Economics, Eng Lit and History

(Please only give relevant feedback)

ICT Media and Stats will most likely be disregarded at first sight (see above post about subject profile). The rest of the subjects are ok but grades will certainly be at the weaker end of the scale for the three unis you mentioned. Lse is particularly fussy about GCSEs and both UCL and KCL said they want majority A or A*. Perhaps pick pick one out of the three to apply to and have 4 more realistic options.

Try to get the best grades you can at these A levels to increase your chances.
Reply 11
Original post by Ready4uni
ICT Media and Stats will most likely be disregarded at first sight (see above post about subject profile). The rest of the subjects are ok but grades will certainly be at the weaker end of the scale for the three unis you mentioned. Lse is particularly fussy about GCSEs and both UCL and KCL said they want majority A or A*. Perhaps pick pick one out of the three to apply to and have 4 more realistic options.

Try to get the best grades you can at these A levels to increase your chances.

Thank you very much. So overall would you say that my GCSEs are a solid foundation, and by getting really good A-Levels, I'll stand a decent chance?

I really want study law as an undergradute. And yes I know it is competitive.

Also I do karate (green belt - 1 1/2 year till black belt) and am planning on doing the duke of Edinburgh award scheme. I already vollenture too.

I also come from an underperforming comprehensive school in London
Original post by Adz57
Thank you very much. So overall would you say that my GCSEs are a solid foundation, and by getting really good A-Levels, I'll stand a decent chance?

Also I do karate (green belt - 1 1/2 year till black belt) and am planning on doing the duke of Edinburgh award scheme. I already vollenture too.

I think you could make it with your background.

I'm a current Law Undergrad from the LSE myself, so I've been through the grind you're gearing up at the moment. If there's anything about Law at LSE you're wondering about, please feel free to ask me. I'm happy to help.

Arrowhead.
Reply 13
Original post by Adz57

I mean I got an offer with 11a* at GCSE and 5a at AS (coming from a grammar school most other lse people got at least 7+), so I am not really sure how high or low the threshold is. But I think you should go for it without a doubt and do the best you can, you won't have a chance unless you try! Plus it's only one option, you will be fine if other options are more suitable but it doesn't hurt to give it your best shot! :smile:
Reply 14
Maths- A*
Additional Maths- A
Computer Studies- A
Physics- A
Economics- A*
English- B
Chemistry- B
Islamic studies- A
Pakistan Studies- A
Urdu Language- A

These are mu GCSE s :frown:
I know I screwed up in them but that doesn't mean that It totally turns table over.
LSE Economics is extremely competitive and I accept that but still with that prestige It should have a sense that GCSE aren't the only way of figuring out the potential of an applicant?
Your View?
Maths- A*
Additional Maths- A
Computer Studies- A
Physics- A
Economics- A*
English- B
Chemistry- B
Islamic studies- A
Pakistan Studies- A
Urdu Language- A

These are mu GCSE s :frown:
I know I screwed up in them but that doesn't mean that It totally turns table over.
LSE Economics is extremely competitive and I accept that but still with that prestige It should have a sense that GCSE aren't the only way of figuring out the potential of an applicant?
Your View?

GCSEs are not the only way used, they're just one of the many things considered. When it comes to one of the most competitive courses at the LSE, such as Economics, the only way of getting in is by having an as close to perfect profile. So while LSE acknowledges that GCSEs aren't everything, how would they distinguish between two applicants who have A*A*A predicted in their A2s, have all As at AS and an excellent PS and recommendation; but one candidate has mostly A*s at GCSE and the other has As and Bs. Why should the applicant with As and Bs at GCSE be preferred when another applicant has the same profile but has had consistently high achievement right from his/her GCSEs. It comes down to that. LSE isn't saying that you're any less brilliant because of slightly less perfect GCSEs scores, it's saying that someone else is even more brilliant than you (on paper).
Reply 16
Original post by arrowhead
GCSEs are not the only way used, they're just one of the many things considered. When it comes to one of the most competitive courses at the LSE, such as Economics, the only way of getting in is by having an as close to perfect profile. So while LSE acknowledges that GCSEs aren't everything, how would they distinguish between two applicants who have A*A*A predicted in their A2s, have all As at AS and an excellent PS and recommendation; but one candidate has mostly A*s at GCSE and the other has As and Bs. Why should the applicant with As and Bs at GCSE be preferred when another applicant has the same profile but has had consistently high achievement right from his/her GCSEs. It comes down to that. LSE isn't saying that you're any less brilliant because of slightly less perfect GCSEs scores, it's saying that someone else is even more brilliant than you (on paper).

Thanks for the reply.. I 100% agree with you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending