Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Reapplying for university next year. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I applied for three universities this year and was rejected early this month for my top two choices(degree choice was languages). I have yet to hear from the third university however it was a last choice and now I'm considering the option of reapplying next year. I have emailed the two universities for feedback on my application.

I have a few worries about this and thought I would enquire here for some help.

I would have more experience abroad if I were to apply next year and more qualifications (HNC and HND with second language). I think a particular weakness was my personal statement(little cliche in places,didnt have a conclusion..mistake after I sent it..)

It would mean spending another year at home and beginning university if I were accepted at 19(is this old?!)

Or should I just give up and accept I'm not good enough for these universities?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Wait and see what feedback you receive, and whether you can actually improve on that within a year. Then decide whether to take a year out and reapply or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OddThings)
    I applied for three universities this year and was rejected early this month for my top two choices(degree choice was languages). I have yet to hear from the third university however it was a last choice and now I'm considering the option of reapplying next year. I have emailed the two universities for feedback on my application.

I have a few worries about this and thought I would enquire here for some help.

I would have more experience abroad if I were to apply next year and more qualifications (HNC and HND with second language). I think a particular weakness was my personal statement(little cliche in places,didnt have a conclusion..mistake after I sent it..)

It would mean spending another year at home and beginning university if I were accepted at 19(is this old?!)

Or should I just give up and accept I'm not good enough for these universities?

I'd wait and see what feedback you get from your top two choices to make sure it is something that can be improved upon next year.

You said if you start next year you'll be 19 - thats hardly old tbh. I'm 25 and about to start my degree in September. There are people in their 30's 40's and even 50's going on to do degree's. So it is no harm for you to wait. It takes some people 3 years to do A Levels too so you probably won't be the only 19yo starting.

If you really want to go this year you do still have two choices left (as you said you only applied for 3 places) you could add two choices on as a late submission if there is anywhere else that you think may be interested in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Wait and see what feedback you receive, and whether you can actually improve on that within a year. Then decide whether to take a year out and reapply or not.
    That seems like the best plan so thank you.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.