Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Had an accident this week only been 3 months since I passed

Other party came into my lane....

But now there is liability issues

Currently paying 3600 first time driver Next year insurance is going to be ...

ReputationRep:
    Love the title but jeez threads like this terrify me..
    Im hoping to sit and pass at the end of this year and then I don't actually plan to drive until after university.. So in 5 years time and I'm terrified of a crash, especially after being out of driving for so long

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Great.. I'm hoping to pass by the end of May and you tell me this?!
    Can't wait to drive though
    Hope things work out for you, if you can prove it was the other driver's fault then do you not still get to keep your no claims?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elelia)
    Love the title but jeez threads like this terrify me..
    Im hoping to sit and pass at the end of this year and then I don't actually plan to drive until after university.. So in 5 years time and I'm terrified of a crash, especially after being out of driving for so long

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I got nightmares for 2 days first day of accident i couldn't even sleep i was awake all night then the next day i was asleep all day

only since yesterday i have been able to get back into my usual timetable

(Original post by xStaceyy)
    Great.. I'm hoping to pass by the end of May and you tell me this?!
    Can't wait to drive though
    Hope things work out for you, if you can prove it was the other driver's fault then do you not still get to keep your no claims?
    I have made a claim on my policy but my insurance told me they will keep disputing liability if no one agree's or has any proof then it will go down as 50/50 -.-

Went around to drive car today every time there was a parked car on the side and a car was coming i just stopped as it felt soo scary damn

Yeah, probably should have kept insurance out of it. Lots of stress involved in proving liability and even when the case is clear cut in your favour, you still get higher premiums because of the no-fault claim on your account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Yeah, probably should have kept insurance out of it. Lots of stress involved in proving liability and even when the case is clear cut in your favour, you still get higher premiums because of the no-fault claim on your account.
    I could have done it my insurance referred me to Albany Assistance but i refused their assistance because everything they give you is on credit so if 100% of the costs isn't recovered then i will have to pay out of my pocket

currently my insurance company repairers took pictures of the damage and will let insurance company know how much it will cost to repair/better to write off the car.....

and since i already reported the incident i thought i might aswell claim because i would need to declare it for next 5 years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prolite)
    I could have done it my insurance referred me to Albany Assistance but i refused their assistance because everything they give you is on credit so if 100% of the costs isn't recovered then i will have to pay out of my pocket

currently my insurance company repairers took pictures of the damage and will let insurance company know how much it will cost to repair/better to write off the car.....

and since i already reported the incident i thought i might aswell claim because i would need to declare it for next 5 years
    Wait, so someone came into your lane and hit you and they are disputing liability?

How does any person or insurance company expect that to stick?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DotDotCurve)
    Wait, so someone came into your lane and hit you and they are disputing liability?

How does any person or insurance company expect that to stick?
    This is the situation, I am claiming he came to my lane but he's claiming I went to his lane

He came from left lane to right lane

Since i don't have any video proof this is where its up to the insurers to decide whose fault it is

Guys i recommend spending £30 for 2 pairs of dashboard camera from ebay and fitting it in the car... video never lies

after my mess is sorted i will pay a mechanic to permanently fix 2 cameras front and back on my vehicle so i don't have the same problem again

ReputationRep:
    Might get one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-HD-DVR...item1c1109bd05

ReputationRep:
    You'd think they would be able to tell by the fact your vehicle should theoretically have more damage than the one doing the hitting (I think?...), and from tyre marks.

ReputationRep:
    This is the situation, I am claiming he came to my lane but he's claiming I went to his lane

He came from left lane to right lane

Since i don't have any video proof this is where its up to the insurers to decide whose fault it is

Guys i recommend spending £30 for 2 pairs of dashboard camera from ebay and fitting it in the car... video never lies

after my mess is sorted i will pay a mechanic to permanently fix 2 cameras front and back on my vehicle so i don't have the same problem again
    Sounds like it will go down as 50/50 as it is your word against the third party's. It seems like insurance companies are keen to settle 50/50. I recently was involved in an accident, in which the other party made up a pack of lies and blamed me for the accident. In the end she backed down but Admiral my insurance company didn't care what I had to say. I think you are with Admiral/Bells/Elephant too? This experience taught me to always get a witness even if they seem apologetic and friendly at the time.

With regards to what you have said about Albany Assistance, they would claim the money from your insurer if the third party did not accept liability. They provide credit until the insurance companies decide who is paying. You would not have to pay for the work except your excess if you were deemed to be liable. I have had four claims processed by those guys (one fault, three non fault).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kage)
    You'd think they would be able to tell by the fact your vehicle should theoretically have more damage than the one doing the hitting (I think?...), and from tyre marks.
    I agree with this based on my own experiences of accidents. However, when I tried this as evidence in a dispute they said it counted for nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Interchange)
    I agree with this based on my own experiences of accidents. However, when I tried this as evidence in a dispute they said it counted for nothing.
    I guess they could argue different cars have different strengths/weaknesses so it would be hard to judge from it.

ReputationRep:
    I've had two write offs in the 5 years I've been driving.

The driveway out of my house leads to a blind corner, I pulled out and my neighbour shafted me into the wall. It could've happened to anyone leaving my house... Just unlucky. We've now put up mirrors on the turning which, to be fair, we should've done in the first place.

2nd time I was on my way back from uni after a very long day at 9PM, I was exhausted and my concentration was so low and my mind was drifting and I just went into the back of someone. Such a stupid mistake and I'd be the first to admit it was my fault. But I guess that's what insurance is for and that's just life...

Though I have 0 points. Just been very unlucky in taking that turning outside my house and just a silly mistake going into the back of someone. Woops

ReputationRep:
    I am looking at the same one but I don't know how big they are

(Original post by Kage)
    Sadly all my insurance company was interested in was asking if my vehicle will be available for inspection if any issues arises...

Sounds like it will go down as 50/50 as it is your word against the third party's. It seems like insurance companies are keen to settle 50/50. I recently was involved in an accident, in which the other party made up a pack of lies and blamed me for the accident. In the end she backed down but Admiral my insurance company didn't care what I had to say. I think you are with Admiral/Bells/Elephant too? This experience taught me to always get a witness even if they seem apologetic and friendly at the time.

With regards to what you have said about Albany Assistance, they would claim the money from your insurer if the third party did not accept liability. They provide credit until the insurance companies decide who is paying. You would not have to pay for the work except your excess if you were deemed to be liable. I have had four claims processed by those guys (one fault, three non fault).
    Hey thanks for reply actually i am not with admiral group instead the third party is

And when I asked AA what costs I would be liable for they told me everything hey can't recover from third party so I told them the incident is for information only and I have started a claim on my policy

(Original post by Kage)
    I guess they could argue different cars have different strengths/weaknesses so it would be hard to judge from it.
    But it's clearly visible that my car has bumps and his got scratches as he hit me from the front right sometimes if they think of it as we do in real world the answer is soo clear cut

(Original post by Rybee)
    I've had two write offs in the 5 years I've been driving.

The driveway out of my house leads to a blind corner, I pulled out and my neighbour shafted me into the wall. It could've happened to anyone leaving my house... Just unlucky. We've now put up mirrors on the turning which, to be fair, we should've done in the first place.

2nd time I was on my way back from uni after a very long day at 9PM, I was exhausted and my concentration was so low and my mind was drifting and I just went into the back of someone. Such a stupid mistake and I'd be the first to admit it was my fault. But I guess that's what insurance is for and that's just life...

Though I have 0 points. Just been very unlucky in taking that turning outside my house and just a silly mistake going into the back of someone. Woops
    I have now noticed that accidents can't always be stopped its not always up to you -.- how much was your starting insurance and what age?

ReputationRep:
    Great advice about those cameras... Thats going to be something I remember in the future..

Horrible situation, some people just cannot take responsibility for anything

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Something like this is definitely preventable. Take this accident as a lesson showing you how much you still need to learn.

By the sounds of things, you were in his blindspot. Still not your fault, but very few people check blind spots before changing lanes and you should be aware of this when on the road. I hate sitting next to cars at any sort of speed. I'm either in the left hand lane, or actively overtaking and moving past them. Sitting next to somebody at 60-70 is asking for trouble. I hate it when people do it to me.

With this knowledge in mind, when you know you're in somebody's blind spot, you need to keep an eye on them for indicating to move over or starting to move over without indicating - we've already ascertained that other drivers have no idea what's around them beyond the edges of the windscreen. As soon as they start to move over you should - if you've been concentrating - almost certainly have enough time to brake/move into the next lane/blast your horn at them.

Unfortunately that's just the nature of driving. Especially on motorways and dual carriages you need to keep your wits about you because every other driver is a clueless knob. I almost hit somebody once on the motorway. I was cruising along at about 80 in the middle lane, passing a length of traffic in the left hand lane. Some dozy **** pulled out in front of me doing 60, having obviously not checked his mirrors, or not for long enough to gauge the speed at which I was travelling. If I'd hit the back of him it'd have been hard to prove that it was his fault. I ended up having to do a combination of braking hard and moving half into the fast lane* to avoid him. I conveyed my anger through the articulate use of my horn and middle finger.

*Whenever **** starts going down on the motorway, you should start checking your mirrors and blind spots instantly to check for escape routes - thus making sure you don't cause an accident yourself while trying to avoid somebody else.

ReputationRep:
    Went around to drive car today every time there was a parked car on the side and a car was coming i just stopped as it felt soo scary damn
    It's scary, isn't it. I was in an accident where I was a passenger and the driver was doing 60 (legally) and car sped out of a side road, hit us, and sent us into the bushes at the side of the road. It was a clear road, they should have definitely seen us. But the point is.. that was 2 years ago, and I'm STILL nervous whenever I'm in a car and I see someone waiting at a side road to pull out. I just think they're going to drive into me, and I actually had to stop my own driving lessons which were going well until that point because I kept trying to swerve whenever I was near a side road- which is obviously incredibly dangerous, but was just like a sort of nervous reaction. I am told it gets better with time, although obviously I'm unsure how MUCH time, seeing as this was two years ago!!

ReputationRep:
    Had an accident this week only been 3 months since I passed

Other party came into my lane....

But now there is liability issuesí ½í¸„

Currently paying 3600 first time driver Next year insurance is going to be ...
    I had an accident in my first year of driving on my own policy. A bus hit a corner and scraped the right side of my car near off! I ended up with a nasty back injury and had to have physio for around 5 months. I was really worried about what making a claim would cost in terms of insurance premiums, and my renewal quote was enormous! But I shopped around and managed to get cover that cost around half what my previous premium was, and this was before the claim was settled! I eventually won, yay, but it came v close to going to court.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Hey all sorry i haven't replied back.

Just a quick update, i decided to make a claim via my own policy i have to pay my £750 excess and let the insurers battle it out. My insurer repair company took my car and gave me a courtesy car, my car hopefully will be repaired by end of next week. My insurance legal cover department have got in touch with me saying to keep all the receipts of all the uninsured losses and the excess I will pay etc.

So far everything seems fine but the third party still hasn't accepted liability, his version of events is completely different to mine.

In the mean time i have purchased this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X16ki...e_gdata_player

which I will be installing on my car it cost me £46.99 on ebay and £1.99 for a car lighter splitter + i need to buy a memory card but if I had this before the accident happened then there would have been no issue. So far no movement at all

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.