Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I'll be a fresher in September at Sheffield, woop! i saw the town in feburary, looks more spaced out and sparsely populated than London, which is a good thing

Do any freshers skateboard to lectures? I was gonna do that but people might stare at me and break my focus lol, not to mention the ultra steep hills around sheffield

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gijops)
    I'll be a fresher in September at Sheffield, woop! i saw the town in feburary, looks more spaced out and sparsely populated than London, which is a good thing

Do any freshers skateboard to lectures? I was gonna do that but people might stare at me and break my focus lol, not to mention the ultra steep hills around sheffield
    Awesome . Endcliffe and Ranmoor are about a 20/25 minute walk away from the main campus but it's pretty nice being spaced out as you'll get to meet up with people off your course and walk with them; plus the walk wakes you up if you have a 9am!

Ahaha no fear, people do! I've seen a few guys skateboard and then a few scooters too. I think to be honest people won't stare at you in a weird way, they'll be starring thinking "ohhh they'll be getting to Uni quicker than I will be!". Also, I've seen a few people on bikes getting a cheer or two off students walking by...just a little encouragement for going up the hills aha!! Just make sure you're safe etc if it's really busy with helmets for on the road

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uniuni123)
    Awesome . Endcliffe and Ranmoor are about a 20/25 minute walk away from the main campus but it's pretty nice being spaced out as you'll get to meet up with people off your course and walk with them; plus the walk wakes you up if you have a 9am!

Ahaha no fear, people do! I've seen a few guys skateboard and then a few scooters too. I think to be honest people won't stare at you in a weird way, they'll be starring thinking "ohhh they'll be getting to Uni quicker than I will be!". Also, I've seen a few people on bikes getting a cheer or two off students walking by...just a little encouragement for going up the hills aha!! Just make sure you're safe etc if it's really busy with helmets for on the road
    purr fect. I'm literally counting down the days til september 17th
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Hey guys, I'm currently a 1st year student studying Law and Criminology, living in Endcliffe. Any questions I'll happily answer

Also I'll add 3 main points...

1) Really don't worry too much about whether you get Ranmoor rather than Endcliffe or whatnot..I'll put it this way...

Endcliffe = is really really nice; with the downside of the giant hill to get out but slightly closer to Uni
    Ranmoor = also really nice, think is slightly newer than Endcliffe; the downside is that it's about 5 minutes further up the road...however this road is flat!
    City = then city is amazingly placed within 5 minutes (10 minutes if you're feeling sleepy) walk of the main campus. There may not be as many trees; but the walk is amazing.

2) All the 'fresher bands' that are offered (not from the University), I paid for one and ended up going to 2 of the events. It's probably better to just wait until you move in and see where you all want to go and get tickets together

3) It's pretty darn amazing
    How are you finding the course? I've firmed Law & Crim but a bit unsure as to whether or not it was a good decision because all of my other offers were for law. I thought the criminology modules would my 3 years more interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Use Err Name)
    How are you finding the course? I've firmed Law & Crim but a bit unsure as to whether or not it was a good decision because all of my other offers were for law. I thought the criminology modules would my 3 years more interesting.
    I felt the same as I had studied A level law so had a bit of an idea but had no idea about criminology. With criminology in the 1st semester it was all coursework which is a great way to ease you into the course and then this semester one of the criminology modules is 100% coursework, and the other is 50% coursework.

This means that in summer I'll be able to get coursework out of the way and just focus on exams because of quite a lot of criminology being coursework based so far . We're doing policing and victimisation at the moment as one of the modules, it is indeed very interesting. Plus some of the criminology staff are big names and know their stuff, I was doing some coursework and all the books I used (random ones that I found off the internet) were in fact written by staff in the criminology department!!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I felt the same as I had studied A level law so had a bit of an idea but had no idea about criminology. With criminology in the 1st semester it was all coursework which is a great way to ease you into the course and then this semester one of the criminology modules is 100% coursework, and the other is 50% coursework.

This means that in summer I'll be able to get coursework out of the way and just focus on exams because of quite a lot of criminology being coursework based so far . We're doing policing and victimisation at the moment as one of the modules, it is indeed very interesting. Plus some of the criminology staff are big names and know their stuff, I was doing some coursework and all the books I used (random ones that I found off the internet) were in fact written by staff in the criminology department!!
    Is the degree split exactly half law & half criminology? I've seen similar Law with Criminology degrees which seem to be 75% law & 25% criminology. Also do you know about the employment prospects for this degree? I was told that it isn't as highly regarded by law firms as pure law is because criminology is seen as an easier subject. I'm not sure whether I would like to work in a firm but obviously I would like to keep my options open.

ReputationRep:
    How often would you say you go out?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was just wondering generally how much does is cost to join a society? Or does it vary quite differently between each one? Because I've found loads on the student union website that I like the sound of, haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jodie_668)
    Hi, I was just wondering generally how much does is cost to join a society? Or does it vary quite differently between each one? Because I've found loads on the student union website that I like the sound of, haha
    Societies usually cost between £3 and £8 for the year membership, which gives you enough of a discount on events that you'll'd make your money back easily. Some societies cost more, but if they cost around £30, it'll probably include a ticket to the society's ball.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Use Err Name)
    Is the degree split exactly half law & half criminology? I've seen similar Law with Criminology degrees which seem to be 75% law & 25% criminology. Also do you know about the employment prospects for this degree? I was told that it isn't as highly regarded by law firms as pure law is because criminology is seen as an easier subject. I'm not sure whether I would like to work in a firm but obviously I would like to keep my options open.
    In the 1st year, it's been the following...
    1st semester = 2 law modules, 1 criminology module
    2nd semester = 1 law module, 2 criminology module
    So yes you're right . At Sheffield the law and criminology degree is an LLB, which is a qualifying law degree just as straight law is and other types of law. This means that we do all of the core law modules that are required to work in a law firm, such as contract law etc. You could even argue that it gives law and criminology students a few more options/an edge as we have done criminology alongside law and have learnt about what goes on before/after crime is committed etc. Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beckywoolley)
    How often would you say you go out?
    Freshers of course we went out a lot, but generally flats will just fancy a night in watching a film or just going to The Edge or a local too. I think here that at the University of Sheffield that a lot of people are very much 'work hard play harder' types of people. For example those who do medicine as you can imagine do so much work, but their socials are known as the best crazy one's!
    I think therefore it just depends on what kind of a person you are, it's always cheap to go out here but my flat generally will always say they'll work during in the day and then enjoy themselves in the night when their work is done

ReputationRep:
    Been trying to find some information about this,
    couldn't find anything and now I'm desperate.
    (fresher)

I know that we got MASH for maths help, but I'm looking for a tutor or more frequent help in Discrete Mathematics.

the thing with mash is that it's new people all the time an none of them are have been good at this field so far... Any tips on where websites or something too look at?

THANKS!

ReputationRep:
    Hi I've just firmed Sheffield to do civil engineering and just want to know how to apply for accommodation as I keep getting these UCAS emails to have a look at the rooms. I've looked at some of the houses and I honestly don't mind which one I get but an opinion on all of them would be helpful and whether we apply for accommodation before we get our results or after and if we have to apply after- is there a big rush? the earlier the better? Thanks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by lanki_bones)
    Hi I've just firmed Sheffield to do civil engineering and just want to know how to apply for accommodation as I keep getting these UCAS emails to have a look at the rooms. I've looked at some of the houses and I honestly don't mind which one I get but an opinion on all of them would be helpful and whether we apply for accommodation before we get our results or after and if we have to apply after- is there a big rush? the earlier the better? Thanks
    You apply for accommodation prior to your results, but you get allocated your flat/room after your results. I'll let the in-house fresher advise you on the room types.

You can apply online now:
    http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/online-ac...48FA0B6BA78B4B

ReputationRep:
    thanks - hmmm there is too much choice :P
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by lanki_bones)
    thanks - hmmm there is too much choice :P
    Endcliffe en-suite seems to be the most popular. I've gone for it as well

ReputationRep:
    yh I was looking at Endcliffe too but maybe not ensuit, ive looked at shared ensuit - i dont think i can do communal! Is it worth going catered? what is the food like?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, sorry for bothering you but I'm also wondering about accomodation.
    I'm sure I want to go for endcliffe but not sure if I want ensuite or shared bathrooms. What are your experiences with either of these? Do the different types attract different types of people?
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was wondering if you or any of your friends/people you know got onto their course with lower grades than their offer. I'm very worried I won't make the offer I've received!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.