Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Discuss.

Should a portion of National Insurance fund this?

ReputationRep:
    It would be cheaper for people to have pets.
    I think animals should be given free emergency care. Then people aren't abusing full free healthcare to get a lifetime supply of dentasticks or anything, but if an animal is in a lot of pain (and its owners can't afford the high vet prices) then there should be a free government funded service where your animal can get treated.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Even though I love animals, I don't think this should happen. The NHS is stretched as it is without adding the many pets that are in the UK to it. Anyway, there are charities such as the PDSA which help owners who can't afford the extravagant vet prices. We used them for my dog and especially for the comparatively small donation we gave against vet prices, they were fantastic!

ReputationRep:
    We don't have enough money to fund the NHS for humans, which I place as a higher priority than animals.

ReputationRep:
    When my sister's hampster developed a skin condition the RSPCA vet treated him and the cost was nominal.

ReputationRep:
    No, we don't have the money to provide this. And even as a paid service it doesn't sound like a good idea

ReputationRep:
    We don't have enough money to treat cancer patients and are having cuts. Why should we spend more on pets?

ReputationRep:
    Society couldn't afford it, however it should be mandatory for pet owners to have insurance on pets.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    No. Theres not enough money to have it, it would also encourage further irresponsible pet ownership.

ReputationRep:
    i'll do it in 2 characters, no.

ReputationRep:
    Owners should be responsible for their own animals. Those who are struggling should seek help from PDSA or equivalent.

Owners after all are the ones that choose to have animals.

ReputationRep:
    I think there should be more vets and animal hospitals available, but I'm not entirely sure that it's the responsibility of tax payers to fund it. It would have to be a private affair. If you're going to have a pet, you need to be sure you can afford it.

ReputationRep:
    We have an NHS because we believe healthcare is a human right. Animals do not have human rights and people do not have the automatic right to pets. It would make no sense.

ReputationRep:
    When Nibbles the hamster starts paying tax, I'll have no objection.

ReputationRep:
    Not everybody has pets so do you think people would be happy about wasting money? People get something called pet insurance if you didn't know, but only if they have pets.

What's the point in paying for something you have no use for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No but I think the NHS should emulate the veterinary profession. When people become too old or sick and it's no longer cost effective to treat them we should actually start considering other options. But hey, I know that view's not particularly popular, but times are hard folks and we've got to seriously consider ways of saving money.

ReputationRep:
    No, what's the point in that? If you can't afford to look after a pet then don't have one...Not having a go at the OP but just giving my opinion on the matter.

ReputationRep:
    My dog got put down because we couldn't afford the diagnosis- it was £1000s. I loved her. It was devastating. I’d pay for an NHS because current insurance is useless.

I scarcely support the NHS.....let alone extending that to pets.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.