Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing both law and psychology at college at the moment and my predicted grades for both are As. I love law and I find every single lesson interested however I find it quite difficult. Psychology on the other hand I feel like I pick up a lot easier but unlike law, love some bits of it (eg abnormal) and hate other bits (eg statistics and biological).
    I've applied for a joint law and psych at derby but don't like the uni and wasn't impressed with either law or psych at the open day. I really don't feel like it's the uni for me. I've applied for psychology at dmu, uni of birmingham and uni of leicester and I've also applied for law at leicester.
    I feel like I'd maybe enjoy law as a whole more but feel like maybe psychology is the more sensible option? To do law might be stupid?
    I have no idea what I want to do in the future but feel that I'm probably more likely to go into a psychology related career as being a solicitor or barrister for example doesn't appeal to me but then again neither does being a psychologist.
    I think law is a more respected degree, do you think it would help me get a job in the future? I also like the fact that law at leicester would allow me to do a year abroad which the psychology option wouldn't. Both law and psychology at leicester seem really interesting but I just wish I could study them as a joint.

Any advice would be appreciated! I'm starting to think that I should just decline all offers and look at further away unis for joint law and psych or social psych options to take next year. The reason I applied for the closer unis is because I struggle with anxiety and depression so feel that moving further away might be a bit too much whilst I'm going through a bad patch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JemmaLucy)
    I'm doing both law and psychology at college at the moment and my predicted grades for both are As. I love law and I find every single lesson interested however I find it quite difficult. Psychology on the other hand I feel like I pick up a lot easier but unlike law, love some bits of it (eg abnormal) and hate other bits (eg statistics and biological).
    I've applied for a joint law and psych at derby but don't like the uni and wasn't impressed with either law or psych at the open day. I really don't feel like it's the uni for me. I've applied for psychology at dmu, uni of birmingham and uni of leicester and I've also applied for law at leicester.
    I feel like I'd maybe enjoy law as a whole more but feel like maybe psychology is the more sensible option? To do law might be stupid?
    I have no idea what I want to do in the future but feel that I'm probably more likely to go into a psychology related career as being a solicitor or barrister for example doesn't appeal to me but then again neither does being a psychologist.
    I think law is a more respected degree, do you think it would help me get a job in the future? I also like the fact that law at leicester would allow me to do a year abroad which the psychology option wouldn't. Both law and psychology at leicester seem really interesting but I just wish I could study them as a joint.

Any advice would be appreciated! I'm starting to think that I should just decline all offers and look at further away unis for joint law and psych or social psych options to take next year. The reason I applied for the closer unis is because I struggle with anxiety and depression so feel that moving further away might be a bit too much whilst I'm going through a bad patch.
    Biology and statistics play a rather large amount in Psychology. If you hate both, chances are you will not enjoy it on the whole.

Law is more respected, yes (I'm a future Psych student myself, hopefully :P) but the market is very saturated with law students atm. Getting a pupillage for a barrister is extremely difficult. On the other hand, if you want to do something like clinical psychology, you have to do an extra 3 years atop your undergrad degree. To get onto this 3 year course, you'd also need 1 or 2 years of work experience to even stand a chance.

Both are difficult paths, really.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to go into law having done a law degree as it's widely respected.

Psychology, on the other hand, has very limited career options from what I can gather.

However, a 1st in psychology would look better than a 2:2 in law so which one do you think you'd do better in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ed-)
    You don't have to go into law having done a law degree as it's widely respected.

Psychology, on the other hand, has very limited career options from what I can gather.

However, a 1st in psychology would look better than a 2:2 in law so which one do you think you'd do better in?
    Not true at all. Psychology equips you with a wide set of versatile skills (research, statistical skills etc) which can be used for other fields. Only 20% of Psych students go onto further psychology-related fields. The other 80% or so find work in other fields

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.