Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm not one to call people out on their spelling or grammar (unless it's unforgivably, sinfully bad), but this just irritates me for some reason:

The misuse of the word 'literally'.

"I was literally gutted about my grades," for example. Were you? Were you literally gutted? Really?

Anyone share this little peeve?

ReputationRep:
    Yep, that one definitely gets on my nerves. If you can't replace 'literally' with 'figuratively' and still have it make sense, you used the wrong word.

ReputationRep:
    No, it doesn't bother me.

ReputationRep:
    I literally use this word all the time!

ReputationRep:
    I'm literally going to die..

(Original post by AvocatDuDiable)
    I'm not one to call people out on their spelling or grammar (unless it's unforgivably, sinfully bad), but this just irritates me for some reason:

The misuse of the word 'literally'.

"I was literally gutted about my grades," for example. Were you? Were you literally gutted? Really?

Anyone share this little peeve?
    One word for you: hyperbole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-pixie-x)
    I literally use this word all the time!
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOO-

ReputationRep:
    I literally just wanted to punch her in the face...
    Hahahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    One word for you: hyperbole.
    Thanks! Have one back: fascinating.

ReputationRep:
    this, and also when people misuse the word 'ironic' for something that was actually sarcastic or merely coincidental, football commentators/pundits are the worse

ReputationRep:
    The colloquial definition of literally has been added to Oxford and Webster's dictionaries, and I believe to Google as well. I used to find people misusing 'literally' slightly annoying, but then I stopped being annoyed by ridiculous things and got over it. Got to love the evolution of language.

ReputationRep:
    When people misuse "literally" it does not bother me in the slightest. If i made a list of the things i care about, it wouldn't even come close to making the list.
    People misuse "literally" on purpose. They know they mean "figuratively", but they are usually doing so to emphasise a point.

ReputationRep:
    Ted Mosby shares that pet peeve. Literally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bssjonny)
    When people misuse "literally" it does not bother me in the slightest. If i made a list of the things i care about, it wouldn't even come close to making the list.
    People misuse "literally" on purpose. They know they mean "figuratively", but they are usually doing so to emphasise a point.
    This

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.