Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Using 'and' instead of 'an' Watch

ReputationRep:
    So this is something I've seen a lot recently, on Facebook, TSR and even on notices around school. People who use 'and' when they mean 'an', just in normal sentences, like "I've got and apple".

Why do people do this!? It's two of the most simple, everyday words and people use them in a way which doesn't make any sense.

I know it's a tiny thing that most people wouldn't even care about, and neither would I normally but I've seen it so much recently, I don't get it... Is it something to do with autocorrect maybe?

ReputationRep:
    I've never noticed it.

ReputationRep:
    Just a simple mistake

ReputationRep:
    Just a minor grammar mistake.

ReputationRep:
    Why do people do this!? It's two of the most simple, everyday words and people use them in a way which doesn't make any sense.
    Because they're stupid.

ReputationRep:
    When people say 'of' instead of 'have'... eg: "I should of done it".. That drives me mad...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YThursday)
    When people say 'of' instead of 'have'... eg: "I should of done it".. That drives me mad...
    I can't say I of noticed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    I can't say I of noticed
    Of'nt you? I of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForgetMe)
    Just a minor grammar mistake.
    This.

If you're human, you'll do (some simple) errors.

Unless you're ANd robot :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Could be an autocorrect if they're on tablet/mobile? My phone has given me some really random stuff in the past.

If not, then they're ****ing idiots and need to sort themselves out...
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathanM)
    If not, then they're ****ing idiots and need to sort themselves out...
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    We in the animal kingdom don't call others "idiots".
    I thought that was agreed upon during the House of Tigers and Penguins debates? :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    This.

If you're human, you'll do (some simple) errors.

Unless you're ANd robot :teehee:
    You do know that you shouldn't use 'and' or 'an' there right? It should be a.....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It annoys the hell out of me -__-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    So this is something I've seen a lot recently, on Facebook, TSR and even on notices around school. People who use 'and' when they mean 'an', just in normal sentences, like "I've got and apple".

I know it's a tiny thing that most people wouldn't even care about, and neither would I normally but I've seen it so much recently, I don't get it... Is it something to do with autocorrect maybe?
    I have not noticed this either. But I'd guess, if typing on the internet, it's mostly down to automatic correction... the dictionary thinks and is more likely.

For signs in your school though, I dunno :/ And I'd be really surprised if I heard someone say it out loud; it's not part of a dialect I've ever heard.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Your and you're always annoy the hell out of me.

ReputationRep:
    never seen anyone mistake 'an' for 'and'- even really stupid people. More often see people mistake 'an' for 'a' e.g. "i want a egg"

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes my fingers type extra letters that I don't need just because they're used to it. I often get 'ly' on the end of words like actual if I'm typing fast. For some reason I also always seem to end up with sould instead of soul. I can't explain that one.

ReputationRep:
    Because you're used to typing 'and' so you automatically add the extra 'd'. Simple mistake.

To do with muscle memory I imagine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.