Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Student finance frustration watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have made my application and SF showed how much I was entitled to get after completing all sections.
    I then get a letter a few weeks later, coinciding with the time I got accepted for the course I want to do, saying that I'm not entitled to anything because I have a degree.
    the point is I do. Not have a degree, I have a NVQ4 Certificate, I don't understand how the person assessing my application would think this is a degree. Anyway I have contacted SF and was asked to send my certificate for them to look into it.
    I have 6 wks to accept the course and I'm freaking it that SF would take ages to go back to my case. Do I have to. Have the SF all set before I accept the offer on UCAS?
    I just don't understand how SF messed up on this. I'm very frustrated with this, just added stress that wasn't really needed :-/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kapaxiana)
    I have made my application and SF showed how much I was entitled to get after completing all sections.
    I then get a letter a few weeks later, coinciding with the time I got accepted for the course I want to do, saying that I'm not entitled to anything because I have a degree.
    the point is I do. Not have a degree, I have a NVQ4 Certificate, I don't understand how the person assessing my application would think this is a degree. Anyway I have contacted SF and was asked to send my certificate for them to look into it.
    I have 6 wks to accept the course and I'm freaking it that SF would take ages to go back to my case. Do I have to. Have the SF all set before I accept the offer on UCAS?
    I just don't understand how SF messed up on this. I'm very frustrated with this, just added stress that wasn't really needed :-/
    Best thing to do is contact your uni and explain you situation and see if it would be an issue with then. And keep on to SF, keep pushing then to get it sorted

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I might have to do that, I will try to call SF on Monday since I have sent my certificate to be checked over 2 wks ago and see if any news on that. I worry that uni might take away the offer if they think SF might not pay for my course? Probably just me worrying too much :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kapaxiana)
    Send the certificate off to Student Finance.

You don't NEED to have funding in place before accepting a place on UCAS, no. But it helps to get funding sorted ASAP so that you know you'll get SOMETHING when you commence your studies.

Also, level 4 is the equivalent to year 1 of a degree. So they might not give you funding for that particular year as you have an equivalent.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get it, if my nvq4 is the equivalent a a FDA first year so why can't I just skip the first year? I find it all very confusing, what I have is a Certificate in Early Years which I gained through OPen University. I had 3 more modules to take it to a foundation degree.
    Anyways I also have a Certificate in Montessori Philosophy which is a NVQ3 and when I spoke to the SF over the phone they seemed to think that that was a degree?
    I will be able to afford uni unless I get the loan so what happens if I accept the offer then SF doesn't pay for my tuition? Think I will have to ring SF on Monday to clarity a few things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.