Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UK Foundation Courses recommendation for international student? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am 18 from Hong Kong. Last year after finishing secondary 5 I decided to travel to the States to pursue a career in sports and training full time there. I enrolled for an online high school in U.S which is accredited and i would be graduating this August. However for some reason I decide to go back to studying and apply for university. I really hope to study in UK and I would have to do a foundation year there. However I understand that UK universities have less flexibility in changing majors and that is one problem for me since I am not sure what I would like to major in. However I do have an interest in arts and humanities. In Hong Kong, my grades are not bad and I think I would graduate high school with a high GPA. I really hope to enter a top university in UK.

I know most people would aim at courses like law which are very difficult to get into. I don't think I would do law, but more like philosophy or media. In fact I really have no idea. I dont know if I could try business since I haven't studied any electives in that area in Hong Kong. I do better in English literature. While I also did Biology and Chemistry, I suck at chemistry and biology is just average.

Are there any recommendations of foundation courses which would allow me to progress into relatively top universities like Bristol and Durham? I know Bellerbys College seem to be quite popular. I also searched for some universities with foundation years, however the problem is I might have to start the course in January. Since my high school course is online, and I expect to finish it in July, while I still haven't taken IELTS yet, which I would in July. Considering the application dates for the fall semester would have already passed, I am not positive i could apply for fall term.

Do you recommend Bellerbys College? Or should I apply for foundation courses linked to a university so i might have a better chance in progressing into that university? Any other suggestions of courses?

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kcky)
    I am 18 from Hong Kong. Last year after finishing secondary 5 I decided to travel to the States to pursue a career in sports and training full time there. I enrolled for an online high school in U.S which is accredited and i would be graduating this August. However for some reason I decide to go back to studying and apply for university. I really hope to study in UK and I would have to do a foundation year there. However I understand that UK universities have less flexibility in changing majors and that is one problem for me since I am not sure what I would like to major in. However I do have an interest in arts and humanities. In Hong Kong, my grades are not bad and I think I would graduate high school with a high GPA. I really hope to enter a top university in UK.

I know most people would aim at courses like law which are very difficult to get into. I don't think I would do law, but more like philosophy or media. In fact I really have no idea. I dont know if I could try business since I haven't studied any electives in that area in Hong Kong. I do better in English literature. While I also did Biology and Chemistry, I suck at chemistry and biology is just average.

Are there any recommendations of foundation courses which would allow me to progress into relatively top universities like Bristol and Durham? I know Bellerbys College seem to be quite popular. I also searched for some universities with foundation years, however the problem is I might have to start the course in January. Since my high school course is online, and I expect to finish it in July, while I still haven't taken IELTS yet, which I would in July. Considering the application dates for the fall semester would have already passed, I am not positive i could apply for fall term.

Do you recommend Bellerbys College? Or should I apply for foundation courses linked to a university so i might have a better chance in progressing into that university? Any other suggestions of courses?

Hi
    I am currently a student at the Durham foundation centre, and if you are interested in philosophy or other arts and humanities courses, they have a selection of different progression routes.

http://www.dur.ac.uk/foundation.centre/

If you find any foundation courses that interest you either Durham or other institutions its worth sending them an email, you may still be able to apply for 2013 entry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ebowey)
    Hi
    I am currently a student at the Durham foundation centre, and if you are interested in philosophy or other arts and humanities courses, they have a selection of different progression routes.

http://www.dur.ac.uk/foundation.centre/

If you find any foundation courses that interest you either Durham or other institutions its worth sending them an email, you may still be able to apply for 2013 entry.
    Hi, thanks for the information. It seems weird to me that they actually have a direct progression program, considering Durham is one of the top unis in UK. Is it a very competitive program, like are there many students applying for it? Do they accept you if you meet the requirements or do they select the best students? If I successfully progressed into year 1, am I just the same year 1 university student as others who enter after their A levels? Would you say it is very difficult to pass the foundation course, considering you haven't studied that area of subjects? For example I'm a science student in high school but wish to major in business?

I am considering whether I should do A levels in the next two years since doing a foundation course might limit myself to not so top unis (I mean for example if I do A levels I could apply for LSE). However my concern is I might not do good in A levels and ultimately couldn't get to like unis like Durham which has a foundation course.

Do you mind me asking if you're an international student and why you chose this program? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kcky)
    Hi, thanks for the information. It seems weird to me that they actually have a direct progression program, considering Durham is one of the top unis in UK. Is it a very competitive program, like are there many students applying for it? Do they accept you if you meet the requirements or do they select the best students? If I successfully progressed into year 1, am I just the same year 1 university student as others who enter after their A levels? Would you say it is very difficult to pass the foundation course, considering you haven't studied that area of subjects? For example I'm a science student in high school but wish to major in business?

I am considering whether I should do A levels in the next two years since doing a foundation course might limit myself to not so top unis (I mean for example if I do A levels I could apply for LSE). However my concern is I might not do good in A levels and ultimately couldn't get to like unis like Durham which has a foundation course.

Do you mind me asking if you're an international student and why you chose this program? Thanks!
    Hi
    I'll try and answer the best I can. First I'm not an international student, and I am originally from the local area. The reason I chose Durham was due to the fact of it being the only university in the North east of England where I could study Theology. Also with the rise in tuition fees I wanted to make sure that I went to the best university that suited me.

I couldn't give you exact figures on the number of applicant, but that there are around 2/3 places per discipline, and the foundation centre has alot of progression routes. Really its up to yourself whether to study A'levels or take a foundation degree. A'levels (as long as you get the grades) opens alot of doors, passing the foundation year doesn't need to restrict you. If you pass then you are admitted into Durham, or if you wanted you could go to another institution that accepts a foundation degree as entry criteria. There are good universities that teach foundation courses such as Nottingham and Kent among others.

Like all universities the first part is having the so-called entry requirements and then showing in your personal statement you have a keen interest in the subject. At Durham what happens is, if the foundation department initally accept you then they pass your application onto the chosen department who make the final decision.

The foundation year is challenging, but fun and there are students who have come from a different academic background like yourself, and the help you get from tutors is brilliant. They tend to have an opendoor policy, so the help is there if you need it. Once you pass the foundation year you entry at year 1 of the degree program.

If you go onto the foundation website, you can fill in a form to see whether the course is for you or send an email.

Hope I've answered all your question. Also I have a foundation year thread which may be of interest to you, which I'm going to be working on with the department.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2301940

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kcky)

http://www.intohigher.com/uk/en-gb/o...?courseID=3503

You could consider INTO's foundation programme for International Students.

ReputationRep:
    Link to entry requirements

https://www.dur.ac.uk/foundation.centre/dpp/entry/

Business and finance foundation handbook link

http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/facul...works/nn21.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ebowey)
    Hi
    I'll try and answer the best I can. First I'm not an international student, and I am originally from the local area. The reason I chose Durham was due to the fact of it being the only university in the North east of England where I could study Theology. Also with the rise in tuition fees I wanted to make sure that I went to the best university that suited me.

I couldn't give you exact figures on the number of applicant, but that there are around 2/3 places per discipline, and the foundation centre has alot of progression routes. Really its up to yourself whether to study A'levels or take a foundation degree. A'levels (as long as you get the grades) opens alot of doors, passing the foundation year doesn't need to restrict you. If you pass then you are admitted into Durham, or if you wanted you could go to another institution that accepts a foundation degree as entry criteria. There are good universities that teach foundation courses such as Nottingham and Kent among others.

Like all universities the first part is having the so-called entry requirements and then showing in your personal statement you have a keen interest in the subject. At Durham what happens is, if the foundation department initally accept you then they pass your application onto the chosen department who make the final decision.

The foundation year is challenging, but fun and there are students who have come from a different academic background like yourself, and the help you get from tutors is brilliant. They tend to have an opendoor policy, so the help is there if you need it. Once you pass the foundation year you entry at year 1 of the degree program.

If you go onto the foundation website, you can fill in a form to see whether the course is for you or send an email.

Hope I've answered all your question. Also I have a foundation year thread which may be of interest to you, which I'm going to be working on with the department.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2301940
    Thank you for your detailed reply! I would consider this as an option (still thinking if A levels or a foundation program). How long did it take to receive a reply after applying through UCAS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emre944)
    http://www.intohigher.com/uk/en-gb/o...?courseID=3503

You could consider INTO's foundation programme for International Students.
    Thanks! Yes i have previously looked into it but I'm thinking if A levels could lead me to more options of universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kcky)
    Thank you for your detailed reply! I would consider this as an option (still thinking if A levels or a foundation program). How long did it take to receive a reply after applying through UCAS?
    I applied in the September of 2011 and got an offer in the November/December of that year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.