Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the second year of a four year teaching course and I'm beginning to consider dropping out. Whilst on placement, I really struggled and ended up being signed off with stress as I made myself so ill, and now I am having to resit the placement in August. I don't know what i'd do if I did drop out as I no longer know what I want to do. I feel really bad as someone else could have had my place. I'm only 19 so i'm still young but I feel like i've wasted everyone's time. I don't know what to do for the best. I could take a gap year and take things from there or I could see how the resit placement goes and then see if I enjoy it more. I'm really struggling and would just appreciate any advice please. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    meh, if I were you I'd finish the course, that way you'll have a secure qualification for a career in your early 20s while some people graduate non-vocational course and can't find a grad job for years

ReputationRep:
    The question for you is do you really want to teach or not. If you still want to teach continue with your course. If not quit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    1. you need to do as lozzielizzie said: do you want to teach or not? make pros/cons lists whatever, you need to know that answer.

If you want to teach, you can stick it out. It's amazing how people always find a way of muddling through.

Is it the course that's causing the stress? Is it living away from home / workload / personal stuff? When I get stressed, it's always worth taking some time out, standing back, listing what the hell the issue is, talking to lots of people about it, and finding your way around it.

So say your stressed out with the course and only the course. Which bits? Particular modules? Talk to lecturers, ask them if they can help you out with that bit and put some time aside for you. Classroom stuff? Maybe sit down with one of the teachers at a lunch time, explain your predicament, hear their opinion. More often than not, the best thing is talking to people that have already been there and done it, they have so much experience you can learn from, make the most of it! Slowly, one by one, start crossing things off your "stressed" list, and start writing how your going to tackle the issue next to it. There might still be other things on your list you can't cross off yet, but that's fine, cross that bridge as you come to it.

What you can't do, is be getting slightly alarmed with the situation your in, think "**** it, i'm out," - you started the course for the reason, go back to that reason, and mull it over. Does that reason still stand?

If you don't want to teach, IMO I would find out what I wanted to do instead before dropping out. Forming some sort of plan, that sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    Give it a second chance. Resit the placement in August and then make your decision afterwards. Think about what went wrong last time and why you were so stressed, and then consider how you could approach your placement differently this time. Perhaps there's someone you could talk to about that.

Don't give up just because something's difficult, but at the same time don't stay just because you think you should.

ReputationRep:
    Take it easy, assess your options. Don't force a fit, but be prepared to work for what you want.

There is no shame in dropping out if it is not right for you. You may even be able to transfer to another (similar) course if you make a case.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.