The Student Room Group

Trainee Perfusionist

Hi,
Is there anybody that has been for an interview for a Trainee Perfusionist position and can offer any advice on what to prepare for?
Hi there,

I'm currently 6 months into training as a Clinical Perfusionist at Bart's Health NHS Trust in London.

If you want to get in touch for advice about making a successful application/interviews, feel free to email me: [email protected]

Best wishes

Chris
Reply 2
Hey!

I also have an invite to interview for trainee perfusionist! Chris, are u still up for a chat?

Regards.
Hi A.P.S.P

Congratulations on getting an interview!! Well done!...no mean feat.

Happy to chat about the interview process, drop me an email..address above

Best wishes

Chris
Reply 4
It's not a good idea to share interview questions online. You often sign something to say you can't, but even if you haven't you have disadvantaged yourself by sharing it. If they get these questions they will be significantly more prepared than you were, and likely to perform better.
Reply 5
Hi Chris, I don’t know if your still active on here as this message was posted 7 years ago. I’ve started to apply for trainee positions and wanted to know if you have any advice you could kindly share.Many thanks in advance
Reply 6
Hi everyone, I've just found this thread to look for quick tips. I'm 7 years late to this but was wondering if anyone knew what to expect for an interview that hasn't set an agenda. My previous interview in London had me prepare a presentation about ECMO and made me set up the circuit in-front of the interviewers (without warning lol). So whoever is reading this, be prepared.
Original post by jzsmr
Hi everyone, I've just found this thread to look for quick tips. I'm 7 years late to this but was wondering if anyone knew what to expect for an interview that hasn't set an agenda. My previous interview in London had me prepare a presentation about ECMO and made me set up the circuit in-front of the interviewers (without warning lol). So whoever is reading this, be

So things to expect from a trainee clinical perfusionist/perfusion scientist interview:

1) An exploration of your passion and commitment to a career in clinical perfusion, and describing your visits to cardiac centres to observe perfusionists in their role
2) Line of questioning/task around your basic understanding of a cardiopulmonary bypass (CPB) circuit (hint: this is applied cardiorespiratory anatomy and physiology)
3) Questions to determine your understanding of the nature of the role and an assessment of core qualities that are required (ability to problem solve, teamwork, communication, decision making, coping with stress/emergency situations, lateral thinking, treatment planning, applied scientific knowledge and clinical reasoning)
4) Your ability to cope with the clinical and academic rigours of a very demanding training programme and subsequent career
5) Competency based questioning e.g. "Tell us about a time you made a mistake - how did you handle it and what was the outcome", "When have you had to communicate in a challenging situation, tell us about that"
6) An understanding of how clinical perfusion science as a career may evolve, given the changing nature of patient disease (e.g. older and sicker patient cohorts, survivors of congenitall heart disease, the provision of extracorporeal life support outside of the traditional confines of the cardiac operating theatre etc.)
7) Your hobbies/interests outside of work and academia

The person specification is usually a pretty good guide as to what to expect!

I hope this helps,

Best wishes

Chris
Original post by Chris_B_SE22
So things to expect from a trainee clinical perfusionist/perfusion scientist interview:

1) An exploration of your passion and commitment to a career in clinical perfusion, and describing your visits to cardiac centres to observe perfusionists in their role
2) Line of questioning/task around your basic understanding of a cardiopulmonary bypass (CPB) circuit (hint: this is applied cardiorespiratory anatomy and physiology)
3) Questions to determine your understanding of the nature of the role and an assessment of core qualities that are required (ability to problem solve, teamwork, communication, decision making, coping with stress/emergency situations, lateral thinking, treatment planning, applied scientific knowledge and clinical reasoning)
4) Your ability to cope with the clinical and academic rigours of a very demanding training programme and subsequent career
5) Competency based questioning e.g. "Tell us about a time you made a mistake - how did you handle it and what was the outcome", "When have you had to communicate in a challenging situation, tell us about that"
6) An understanding of how clinical perfusion science as a career may evolve, given the changing nature of patient disease (e.g. older and sicker patient cohorts, survivors of congenitall heart disease, the provision of extracorporeal life support outside of the traditional confines of the cardiac operating theatre etc.)
7) Your hobbies/interests outside of work and academia

The person specification is usually a pretty good guide as to what to expect!

I hope this helps,

Best wishes

Chris

Hi Chris

I’m considering a career as a Perfusionist too, is your email still open to questions?
Original post by jzsmr
Hi everyone, I've just found this thread to look for quick tips. I'm 7 years late to this but was wondering if anyone knew what to expect for an interview that hasn't set an agenda. My previous interview in London had me prepare a presentation about ECMO and made me set up the circuit in-front of the interviewers (without warning lol). So whoever is reading this, be prepared.

Was this for a trainee position?
Great going for challenging field of Heart surgery

Quick Reply

Latest